The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-30-2018, 02:41 PM   #1
dave`12

Holly carb advice please

1967 c-10. Factory sm430 and 12 bolt rear. Fleetside.

I put in a 350 (mid-eighties, I think) with an edelbrock performer manifold, ramhorn exhaust manifolds, dual exhaust. I got the engine off craigslist, so I really don’t know more.

Right now I have a very tired holly 650cfm (came free with the engine). Tried to rebuild it, but didn’t help much. Truck runs very strong, but I’ve had some issues with hot start after sitting, poor mpg (around 9mpg), and it only runs strong when it’s so rich that the fumes make me sick.

I’m tired of messing with it and so I’ve decided to get a new carburetor. I’ve been looking and found a couple of options, and I would like opinions if I could.

Holly street warrior. I can get this remanufactured (by holly) 600cfm for 220.00 on ebay or 320.00 new at holly. Here is a link to the new one:
https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...parts/0-80457S

Holly classic: https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...parts/0-1850SA This is 315.00 new at holly.

Holly street demon. This one is quite intriguing. I can get it for 220.00 on ebay remanufactured by holly, or 312.00 new from holly with a composite fuel bowl that is supposed to lower fuel bowl temps by 20 degrees.
https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...mon/parts/1900

Does anyone know about the street demon? How about the composite fuel bowl. It would be about 100.00 extra. Worth it? I’ve seen some reviews on the carb. I have a square bore manifold, and this is spread bore, but designed to work with a square bore – so I’m thinking it would help my mileage. One guy got an extra 3mpg when he swapped.

How about fitment? Problems with my current air cleaner and linkage may exist?

Other new carbs would be considered (edelbrock etc.) But I want an easy setup and I want to keep the price below 350.00. The street demon link has a video, and the guy sandwiched a metal plate with two paper gaskets when doing the install. Is this to help with heat transfer? Maybe I should get a small spacer for heat transfer?

Any opinions appreciated.

thanx
dave`12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 05:46 PM   #2
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Re: Holly carb advice please

The ol' 1850 is a great carb. I've used many of them on rigs and been totally happy. As a matter of fact I have an 1850 main body and base plate with center hung float bowls and a metering block in back instead of a plate bolted on my truck right now. I love this combo so far.

The "Avenger" series of carbs from Holley are great carbs as well. I've used a 670 Truck Avenger before and really liked it too. There is also a Street Avenger.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 11:21 AM   #3
dave`12

What are the reasons you would take an 1850 over the street demon? Demon is cheaper and has the composite bowl that I think might help me keep the fuel cooler in S. Florida. But my mind is open.

The Avengers cost more than I'm looking to pay.

thx
Old 07-11-2018, 08:06 PM   #4
halfstep

Replacing gaskets, etc. (rebuild kit) on a carb thats not working right is not likely to cure it or push it into the performance window you want.
Search the internet and get your piece redone, flowed and blueprinted by a high quality carb shop. There are several all over the country.
They will take every detail about your engine, car and driving habits and for the same price ($250+) very likely get you where you want to go...and if it doesn't work out they will probably re-work it at nominal or no charge.
Too many people give up on one carb, buy another, and end up in the same or slightly better place and have no recourse for the tuning and adjustment necessary to get their carbs working well.
Give it to a professional and solve the problem.
My two cents.
halfstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 12:42 PM   #5
dave`12

thanx for the advice.

I bought the holly demon 625. it's a whole new vehicle. it even smells better.

i only adjusted the idle, the rest was perfect right out of the box.

couldn't be happier.
Old 07-14-2018, 01:21 PM   #6
halfstep

Happy ending - and lowest price. Should buy a lottery ticket now!
halfstep is offline   Reply With Quote