The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > Review Board > Vendor Reviews

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-18-2008, 04:13 AM   #1
68 Stepside
huh?

newegg.com and tigerdirect.com review for the techies (junk cpu fan review too).

Hey all, recently I built a new PC.

I ordered part of my setup as a kit from tigerdirect.com (case (all aluminum Ultra brand, poor fit and finish), motherboard (XFX 680i SLI), power supply (650w Ultra) and processor (Core 2 Quad Q6600)). I ordered the kit at 11:00pm on a Saturday night. It all came in on the following Tuesday. Talk about quick shipping, considering I chose standard 3-5 day. Great communication from them, overall I'm very satisfied with their service.

On to newegg.com where I purchased the rest of the guts (512 MB eVGA Superclocked vid card, 4 GB of Kingston HyperX RAM and a WD SATA 500 GB HDD). Ordered it all Saturday evening, had it Wednesday. I've used newegg many, many times, and have had 0 problems with them, ever. I've heard nothing but good about them as a matter of fact. Great communication from them as well.

I also ordered a Masscool thermal cpu cooler from tigerdirect. It arrived just as quickly as the rest of the stuff. It was absolute junk though. At idle, my CPU ran a minimum of low 60s Celsius. At first I thought "ok, it's a quad core, maybe they run hot." The first time I put any load on it at all, the motherboard shut the system down due to too much CPU heat. I installed a puny stock cooler from my P4, and my temps are about 25-26 idle and 31-33 loaded down. Talk about a HUGE difference. I'm not sure why this thing failed as miserably as it did, but I just threw it in the trash, rather than take anymore chances. There was quite a large overflow of thermal paste from the factory applied stuff, but even with the Arctic Silver I applied, it was the same. Here's the link for the cooler. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...377&CatId=1588

Sorry for the long-winded post, hope it encourages those of you who haven't used tiger or newegg to do so.
Things we said today.

RIP El Jay
68 Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 04:33 PM   #2
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

Re: newegg.com and tigerdirect.com review for the techies (junk cpu fan review too).

I have heard good things about newegg.com in the past, glad to hear you had good luck with them.

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 05:57 PM   #3
Orange
Licensed to Thrill!

Re: newegg.com and tigerdirect.com review for the techies (junk cpu fan review too).

I have used Newegg.com many times. Love them.
They are my first source.

TigerDirect on the other hand...
The only real experience I had with them wasn't good. Wanted to use them here at our company, and it was a VERY long drawn out process, that eventually just ended. They wouldn't even take a company credit card. So, I was just not pleased with them. Although, as an individual, I would consider them for certain items.

DLB
Old 03-19-2008, 12:45 AM   #4
pcmcobra

newegg...
is there any other place to buy computer stuff online?
No.

Miami...Flee it like a native
pcmcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 05:37 AM   #5
Pyrotechnic

Me and my dad have bought lots of stuff from Newegg. Just built him a sweet Intel Core 2 Duo based system, all parts ordered from Newegg.

Things I like:
-Being able to shop based on customer ratings is a big help
-Huge selection
-Hard drives and memory are shipped very carefully with bubble wrap, very important when shipping these fragile items.
-Fast shipping
-Can't beat the prices
Pyrotechnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 05:29 AM   #6
chipflyer

I shop at newegg and Tigerdirect.com

1971 Cheyenne Super K10 - tilt, cruise, air, am/fm, tow hooks, factory buckets!
1986 Jeep J10 pickup, - 5.3L Vortec with 4L60e and NP241.
chipflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 05:59 PM   #7
BowTieOgre

Another Newegg shopper here. I just ordered 2 cases from them last week and have ordered enough parts over the past 5 years to build about 14 computers. I only had an issue once with a DOA hard drive and they sent me another one overnight WITH a shipping label for the old one. Top notch!!
Old 03-21-2008, 10:52 PM   #8
stonewall618
Just loves his truck.

i have bought from both but Newegg is the way to go... tiger... the only thing they have going for them is there product reviews... there selection of parts does not even come close to neweggs selection... further more when you compare the prices of newegg as apposed to tiger there is no contest... some times tiger has a better deal... but give newegg a week they will be betting by a lot....NOT to mention that newegg has free shipping on 60% of there computer parts... you cant beat it... you save so much money just in that... i have seen tiger have free shipping one time and it wasnt on any thing that i would buy... so NEWEGG FTW

EAGLE SCOUT FTW!!!
stonewall618 is offline   Reply With Quote