The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-18-2019, 12:43 PM   #1
letsgofast

Lowering a 67-72 C20 Photos Please!

I have searched and searched but I'm having trouble finding what I'm looking for.
Does anyone have photos of a C20 (coil spring rear) that has been static lowered 4.5F/6R?
I just picked up a 72 C20 and I'm ready to pull the trigger on parts form GMC Paul to lower 4.5/6 but would love an example before I do. I already have a C-notch waiting to go in as well.

Thank you in advance!
Attached Images

Old 10-18-2019, 03:36 PM   #2
PepperTreeGarage

Re: Lowering a 67-72 C20 Photos Please!

My main question is, how will you be using the truck after you finish it? Cruiser, still some work and towing, or never hauling anything ever again. Depending on your answer, cost will be involved. Our C20 is still 100% C20, just lower to the ground. We intend to have fun with it, but still be able to carry a load if needed and tow when needed, and both at the same time if the situation arises. Front is lowered using a combination of Drop Spindles and Drop Springs. All front suspension, steering parts, and brakes are new, rebuilt, and/or upgraded. The rear is "Leaf" suspension. So FlipKit, pull one leaf, and added helper Air Bags with a Sway Bar. As for the C-Notch. We used one from CPP and reinforced it making our own additional plates and stiffeners. There are C-Notch kits that are heavier duty available from a few of the after market suppliers. Performance Online is a good source for C20 suspension. I'm sure there are others also. We also did a complete rebuild and re-gear on the DANA 60 rear axle, which was not cheap. There's that cost thing again. Our wheels are from my Brother-n-Laws '89 K20 Suburban. I believe the stock wheels on our C20 were 16x6, which were long gone when we acquired the truck. The new wheels are 16x6.5 with a 4.5" back space. We opted to go with 16x8 on the rear from Wheel Vintiques with a 4" back space. Here's a few pics of the C-Notch. Good Luck with your build.
Attached Images

PepperTreeGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 03:46 PM   #3
PepperTreeGarage

Few more pics. We did suspension and stance first. Current status is, we're now doing a complete Power Train refresh. Hope this helps. We have more pics, so if you have questions we'll try to help. Take Care. More pics here on my FB page: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php...8891335&type=3
Attached Images

Last edited by PepperTreeGarage; 10-18-2019 at 03:55 PM.
Old 10-18-2019, 03:57 PM   #4
letsgofast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepperTreeGarage View Post
My main question is, how will you be using the truck after you finish it? Cruiser, still some work and towing, or never hauling anything ever again. Depending on your answer, cost will be involved. Our C20 is still 100% C20, just lower to the ground. We intend to have fun with it, but still be able to carry a load if needed and tow when needed, and both at the same time if the situation arises. Front is lowered using a combination of Drop Spindles and Drop Springs. All front suspension, steering parts, and brakes are new, rebuilt, and/or upgraded. The rear is "Leaf" suspension. So FlipKit, pull one leaf, and added helper Air Bags with a Sway Bar. As for the C-Notch. We used one from CPP and reinforced it making our own additional plates and stiffeners. There are C-Notch kits that are heavier duty available from a few of the after market suppliers. Performance Online is a good source for C20 suspension. I'm sure there are others also. We also did a complete rebuild and re-gear on the DANA 60 rear axle, which was not cheap. There's that cost thing again. Our wheels are from my Brother-n-Laws '89 K20 Suburban. I believe the stock wheels on our C20 were 16x6, which were long gone when we acquired the truck. The new wheels are 16x6.5 with a 4.5" back space. We opted to go with 16x8 on the rear from Wheel Vintiques with a 4" back space. Here's a few pics of the C-Notch. Good Luck with your build.
Ive stalked nearly every thread of your truck. 😂😂 I know that your front tires are 225/70/16 and the rears are 255/70/16. I know the wheels, the 4x4 caps, the helper bags to let her work, and on and on and on. In fact you have a PM sitting in your inbox from a couple weeks ago. I LOVE what you’ve done with your truck but know that it is leaf rear and was looking for a similar coil rear example.

This will be my cruiser. My lady wants to cruise it around once in a while and I may drive it to work on occasion. It may haul something from time to time like a dirt bike or a trip to Home Depot but the heavy hauling will go behind my diesel.

I’m thinking 2.5” spindles and 2” springs in front. 6” springs in the rear and I too have the CPP notch. I just won’t be modifying mine like you did. I will likely end up in Wheel Vintiques 16x8 all the way around. I’ll drop it first and then play around with what fits under the front. Do you have photos of your truck back up an inch in the front? You were down 5.5” and planning to come back up an inch, correct??
Attached Images

Last edited by letsgofast; 10-18-2019 at 04:04 PM. Reason: add a photo and correct spelling
Old 10-18-2019, 04:04 PM   #5
PepperTreeGarage

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgofast View Post
Ive stalked nearly every thread of your truck. 😂😂 I know that your front tires are 225/70/16 and the tears are 255/70/16. I know the wheels, the 4x4 caps, the helper bags to let her work, and on and on and on. In fact you have a PM sitting in your inbox from a couple weeks ago. I LOVE what you’ve done with your truck but know that it is leaf rear and was looking for a similar coil rear example.

This will be my cruiser. My lady wants to cruise it around once in a while and I may drive it to work on occasion. It may haul something from time to time like a dirt bike or a trip to Home Depot but the heavy hauling will go behind my diesel.

I’m thinking 2.5” spindles and 2” springs in front. 6” springs in the rear and I too have the CPP notch. I just won’t be modifying mine like you did. I will likely end up in Wheel Vintiques 16x8 all the way around. I’ll drop it first and then play around with what fits under the front. Do you have photos of your truck back up an inch in the front? You were down 5.5” and planning to come back up an inch, correct??

No new pics. When the new drop coils went in the clip was already off. As for the coil spring rear, and since you're not hauling it should be easy plug and play. Looking forward to seeing it.
Old 10-18-2019, 09:05 PM   #6
letsgofast

Came home, ordered springs and spindles, then went out to the shop, pulled the rear springs and laid the axles on the frame.
Attached Images

Old 10-18-2019, 09:29 PM   #7
LakeAnna

Thumbs up Re: Lowering a 67-72 C20 Photos Please!

Great looking truck!

72 RESTO

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=501870
LakeAnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 01:31 AM   #8
Aus69c20

My c20 I’d guess is a 3/5. Chopped front coils and out back I have 1.5” blocks and lowered springs.
Here in oz we have commodore utes, think modern elcamino. The rear coil springs bolt in to our trucks. $50 at the wreckers. No use to you in the US though.
My truck is pretty much useless for carrying anything heavy now. So I’m thinking of bags for the back so I can have the best of both worlds.
Attached Images

69 c20, 396, th400, dana60, ps, ac
Aus69c20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 07:23 AM   #9
letsgofast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus69c20 View Post
My c20 I’d guess is a 3/5. Chopped front coils and out back I have 1.5” blocks and lowered springs.
Here in oz we have commodore utes, think modern elcamino. The rear coil springs bolt in to our trucks. $50 at the wreckers. No use to you in the US though.
My truck is pretty much useless for carrying anything heavy now. So I’m thinking of bags for the back so I can have the best of both worlds.
Great looking truck!