The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-06-2015, 08:06 PM   #101
SCOTI

Re: My 89 CC Dually: Double Wide

Got the front a-arms installed. After some tweaks to the new Moog BJ's that I already had, they fit w/o issue.

I like PB's set-up alot as it made installation very easy. I was able to put the u-bolts in w/the nuts turned a couple of threads. I slipped the shafts into the u-bolts & tightend them up. Then, I lifted the a-arm bushing barrels up to the crossshaft & slipped the Delrin bushings sleeves in place. Boom.... done.

With that done, I moved on to the sway bar install. Two steps forward, one step back. I was under the assumption that PB's arms accept a C10 based sway bar that used end-links vs the bushing clamps so that's what I bought. Wrong. These arms require the Addco/PB spec'd sway bar (no longer recommended because of supply reliability) or Ride Techs Musclebar. So I have a HD 1.25" OE bar w/new poly bushings, a new 1.375 Bell Tech bar w/poly bushings, & now a Musclebar on the way.

While waiting for the sway bar, I'm moving on to correcting some air leaks & getting to the bottom of the reoccurring leaky master cyl issue. Gotta get this thing drivable so I can validate reliability. Trying to have it functional for Lonestar Throwdown by end of February.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 01-06-2015 at 08:12 PM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 11:33 AM   #102
aggie91
I'm just glad to be here!

Don't you just hate when things are going smoothly, then BAAM, it all comes to a stop.

1965 Chevy Stepside(Grandpa's Old Blue) and (July 2015 Shop Build!)(2020, the Saga Continues)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=372424

The LST Challenge:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7812257

Korbin's 1st Square: "Sunburn"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=418618

1985 GMC Sierra: "White Trash", Korbin's 2nd now...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632305

Henry - 1984 Chevrolet, Owen's 1st Square
aggie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 11:48 AM   #103
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

SCOTI,... what is the difference between the Addco bar and your Belltech bar?

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 12:51 PM   #104
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

I have a new master in the box if you end up needing it.
Old 01-07-2015, 02:21 PM   #105
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99 View Post
SCOTI,... what is the difference between the Addco bar and your Belltech bar?
Width.
I understood PB was having Addco build a spec bar for him for the narrowed track width arms/Dropmember. I didn't realize the stock length arms used a custom built bar as well other than up-sized to 1.25" vs their catalog offered 1.125" unit.

Since Addco was having issues completing timely deliveries, I ordered the bigger bar that was similarly priced, in stock, & shipped the same day.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 01-07-2015, 02:24 PM   #106
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy View Post
I have a new master in the box if you end up needing it.
No need for a master cyl.... but I would like to peel yours back to verify the pin length between the mstr cyl & vac booster on your OE vacuum brake truck.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 01-07-2015, 03:38 PM   #107
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

I have kind of bastardized my truck. It now has a 1/2 ton master and booster in it. My old booster was full of brake fluid.
Old 01-07-2015, 05:52 PM   #108
SCOTI

Ahh.... I was hoping it was still the 3/4 stuff just so I could compare.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 01-11-2015, 12:33 PM   #109
SCOTI

Booster & master cylinder reunited after fixing the paint damage on the booster . . ..... again.

With that done I decided to fire the truck up Thursday night & verify some exhaust temps. Again.... it wouldn't start. It's like the fuel supply is bleeding back as it takes forever (minutes) vs immediate start-up like a TBI set-up should. I initially attributed it to cold temps & sitting idle/not ran for 8+ weeks. Once started it seemed to idle & run fine after several warm up minutes.

So my buddy stopped by on Sat to see progress & I went to crank it up after explaining the Thursday night issue. It did the exact same thing. It just doesn't want to start & it seems to be a fuel supply issue since it will start after several minutes of trying to get it going. Once running, again it idled & revved fine. Frustrating.....

Sat I worked on the stainless exhaust for my buddy's 56 wagon project but took enough time to run downtown & pick-up about 8yards of vinyl & foam for the seats. The supplier had very limited choices on cloth so I'm @ a fork in the road. I have a 2nd choice but I'm getting a lot of raised eyebrows when I mention it (tweed). But after showing the colors, it's usually a "yea, that matches pretty good" response. I'm still looking for a better cloth option because I feel there's a need for the contrasting materials.

The sway bar indicates a Monday delivery so that should button up the front suspension early this week. I'll do a shop alignment & schedule a visit to my buddy's work for the alignment rack. I'm also trying to work out the logistics of getting the dually bed out & flipped on end to allow for clean-up of the underside of things & a little satin black detailing. Once that's done, I'll get the bed installed & make an appointment for a bed liner spray date.

Interior thrash next....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 01-11-2015, 08:44 PM   #110
Hankster

Thanks for the update! Can't wait to see pictures of interior.

'86 Chevrolet C10 Custom Deluxe - Gen V 454 - 4l80e - welded 12 bolt
(Build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=611611 ) SOLD
Hankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 07:21 PM   #111
SCOTI

Well..... My buddy coined it "Scot Luck" years ago & for a reason. I got the Ride Tech Musclebar today as indicated. I opened it @ lunch & it looks very nice. I like the lighter weight & felt it would make install much more pleasant.

One thing I feel that would make this part better, is if it would actually fit. Per the instructions, I removed the OE sway bar pedestals. This was quick & easy as I technically already had removed the rivets a while back & had them bolted in. You align the rear mounting holes on the frame rail w/the rear mounting holes of the sway bar bushing brackets:

For 73-87
Bolt the new MuscleBar to the frame
rail using the poly bushing and bracket.
The rear hole for the factory sway bar
mount will be reused for the rear hole
in the new bracket. The front hole
must be drilled with a 3/8” bit. Four
3/8” x 1 ¼” bolts, Nylok nuts, and eight
flat washers will secure it to the frame.

When I attempted to bolt the bushing brackets to the frame rails using the rear holes as the locating guide, the bar makes contact w/the front splash shield that ties the rails together. My solution was to try utilizing the OE pedestals but installing the bushings in on top of the pedestals vs under them. This helped clear the splash shield.

The next item is the bar has some 'bushing stops/collars' (for lack of a better solution) welded to it. It appears they are intended to center the bar & limit it from walking side to side. When I put the bushings on & butt them against the stops, the bushing brackets don't align w/the C/L of the frame/pedestal holes. I didn't measure @ the time but they're @ least .500-.750 off.

It seems I will have to remove the stops/collars on the bar to allow the bushing brackets to line up (there's not really enough material on the brackets to 'oval' them in an attempt to align the pieces).

Very frustrating.....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Last edited by SCOTI; 01-12-2015 at 07:27 PM.
Old 01-12-2015, 08:39 PM   #112
Hankster

Your just having the run-a-round aren't ya? Sorry about your luck. I understand it though!

'86 Chevrolet C10 Custom Deluxe - Gen V 454 - 4l80e - welded 12 bolt
(Build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=611611 ) SOLD
Hankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 11:58 PM   #113
SCOTI

Well.... I was able to mock the sway bar up in place. The only way it would go directly on the frame rail would be by drilling all new holes for the frame bushings. But, if I did that, the bar still made contact w/the C30 xmember gussets that tie the rails to the center of the xmember. If I utilized the pedestals, there was just enough clearance so that's how I put it together. The bushings are sandwiched between the frame rail & inner/top side of the pedestals.

I then has to elongate the pedestal-to-frame mounting holes 3/8" & the bushing-to-pedestal holes the same. This put the ends of the bar about parallel to the ground & allowed me to get the end links @ approx the same angles (not quite vertical).

I'm waiting on the brackets to dry now & then can reassemble everything again.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 01-13-2015, 10:36 AM   #114
aggie91
I'm just glad to be here!

I know that can be frustrating. But, sounds like you got thru it and found a solution. Post up some pics once you have it all back together.

1965 Chevy Stepside(Grandpa's Old Blue) and (July 2015 Shop Build!)(2020, the Saga Continues)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=372424

The LST Challenge:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7812257

Korbin's 1st Square: "Sunburn"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=418618

1985 GMC Sierra: "White Trash", Korbin's 2nd now...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632305

Henry - 1984 Chevrolet, Owen's 1st Square
aggie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 01:31 PM   #115
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie91 View Post
I know that can be frustrating. But, sounds like you got thru it and found a solution. Post up some pics once you have it all back together.
As requested.....
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 01-14-2015, 01:35 PM   #116
SCOTI

A couple more to show the bushing mounting position & clearance hole in the frame for the zerk fitting.....
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 01-14-2015, 01:53 PM   #117
SCOTI

The mounting holes for the pedestal to the frame had to be slotted to shift the pedestal over (farther apart) as much as possible....
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Last edited by SCOTI; 01-14-2015 at 02:02 PM.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:01 PM   #118
SCOTI

I could only move the pedestals a small amount because there just wasn't enough material to remove any more & still be safe. I reassembled everything but still couldn't get the bushings in place because of the width of the collars welded to the bar (RED ARROW).

So to get more adjustment, I slotted the bushing to pedestal holes (WHITE ARROWS) which allowed the bushings to shift farther apart....
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 01-14-2015, 03:03 PM   #119
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

SCOTI,... I think the MuscleBar on my blazer has no collars welded to the bar.
I always wondered how you kept the bar in the center of the vehicle with the "RideTech style" end links.
I centered the bar when I installed it,... but who knows if it's still centered on the frame now.

Convert to disc brakes.
Old 01-14-2015, 03:50 PM   #120
SCOTI

Quote:
SCOTI,... I think the MuscleBar on my blazer has no collars welded to the bar.
I always wondered how you kept the bar in the center of the vehicle with the "RideTech style" end links.
I centered the bar when I installed it,... but who knows if it's still centered on the frame now.
I liked the concept of the collars to limit movement & the Posi-links. Now that I have them in my posession, I'm not getting the 'warm & fuzzies' about the links. I expected the 'joint' portion to be much more precise or tighter (imagine a new lower BJ vs. a 40yr old BJ). These feel like a worn out joint & have very little resistance. But, like the Delrin style a-arm bushings, less resistance = less friction or smooth, controlled, bind free movement. I do recall hearing N2TRUX had snapped one when his truck was raised in the air so I'm hoping that's not an issue (I need to verify the info & ask him specifics).

But, I'll see how things work as is for now. If necessary, I'll fab a new end link arrangment that's closer to the traditional bolt/bushing/sleeve set-ups.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 01-14-2015, 04:44 PM   #121
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

I agree with your assessment of the end links.
I originally thought it was to help with articulation on "air ride" vehicles.
At least yours doesn't have the hidious "bed liner" style coating on the bar like mine does.
I guess I expected more out of a sway bar that retails for $500.

The RideTech MuscleBar on my '61 BelAir is a much nicer piece for the same money.

Convert to disc brakes.
Old 01-14-2015, 05:14 PM   #122
SCOTI

Quote:
I agree with your assessment of the end links.
I originally thought it was to help with articulation on "air ride" vehicles.
At least yours doesn't have the hidious "bed liner" style coating on the bar like mine does.
I guess I expected more out of a sway bar that retails for $500.

The RideTech MuscleBar on my '61 BelAir is a much nicer piece for the same money.
Hhmm..... $400 through Summit Racing.

I would have waited on PB's upcoming unit but they still appear to be several weeks away (more than 2wks ) from completion of the prototype. Then there's the possiblity of a revision process & pre-production stuff before I see them filling any orders ..... That being said, Mr P has a way of tweaking things to be better. My bet is the PB marketed sway bar will be worthy of purchase.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 01-15-2015, 01:37 PM   #123
SCOTI

I plan to install the headliner this weekend so I needed to get the rear dome light sorted out. Originally, this thing had aftermarket conversion van type dome lights w/the adjustable 'spotlight' style of lighting. They're not very attractive IMO & were melted bad where the bulbs snap in place.

I wanted a clean OE appearance so I ordered some factory replacement dome lights. I got 2 of the standard cab units: 1 for the center of the cab & a 2nd for the back wall. The issue was the aftermarket units that were in there previously were just kind of randomly attached (1 screw holding the center light; the rear light was attached to the headliner shell). The center light had provisions for proper installation of the factory light housing (correct pre-cut hole & screw clips); the rear wall did not. I corrected that issue.

New hole created & cleaned up....
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Last edited by SCOTI; 01-15-2015 at 01:48 PM.
Old 01-15-2015, 01:38 PM   #124
SCOTI

Wires routed w/grommets....
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 01-15-2015, 01:40 PM   #125
SCOTI

Bezel & lense installed....
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG