The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-18-2019, 02:29 AM   #3901
MiraclePieCo

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DransportGarage View Post
SPECIAL THANKS TO MIRACLE PIE CO for reminding me to use butcher/rosin paper as a template (Post #3813). I came close to scrapping my GTO carpet because I cut it in place.
Ha ha, thanks, you're welcome
Old 10-18-2019, 08:57 PM   #3902
Dachshund

Well....since shoulder surgery on 14 October, I can't do TOO much, but small items need cleaned and painted too!
Other than that, I took my 1947 3600 frame to an Amish neighbor's shop last Saturday. He has it all painted nice and pretty! Now, to get it home.....
Dachshund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 12:25 AM   #3903
evilokc

have my inner fender in primer. going to shoot some paint on it tomorrow if everything goes to plan. id like to get it installed this weekend
evilokc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 06:03 PM   #3904
evilokc

its terrible when you work on these projects alone but with an idiot. all week ive been taking off the rust, sanding, priming the inner fender. walked out this morning and noticed for the first time its the wrong side. need the passenger side and ive been working on the driver side. wont be getting the inner fender installed this weekend.
Old 10-19-2019, 07:20 PM   #3905
idbeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilokc View Post
its terrible when you work on these projects alone but with an idiot. all week ive been taking off the rust, sanding, priming the inner fender. walked out this morning and noticed for the first time its the wrong side. need the passenger side and ive been working on the driver side. wont be getting the inner fender installed this weekend.
LOL, I don't even want to tell about my "idiot" or how many times he's moved things for me...

Jim W
idbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 08:19 PM   #3906
nvrdone

idiot? all I have to do is look in the mirror and say "hi"
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 08:51 PM   #3907
idbeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvrdone View Post
idiot? all I have to do is look in the mirror and say "hi"
I guess we are all in the same boat!!! I just turned 60 two weeks ago, so at least now I can blame it on 'old age' !!!!
idbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 09:13 PM   #3908
Black_Sheep

I found enough time to change my shocks, rotate the tires and get the truck back on the ground. Pedal effort is more to my liking thanks to the booster upgrade, the ride seems better too.
Attached Images

Black_Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 10:35 PM   #3909
DransportGarage

Quote:
I think working on trucks brings out the dyslexia in us. I was cutting out my carpet yesterday. The first three pieces were right on. I cut out the fourth big piece, then swore it was the mirror image of what I needed. SCRAP! Called my buddy and told him I needed another piece of carpet 'cause I screwed up. Decided to cut the holes in the upside-down carpet anyway for the pedals, etc., to be sure everything was oriented correctly. I cut them out really quickly instead of taking my time, from the back side. I went to put the carpet in upside down, and it wouldn't fit. I flipped it right side up, and it fit PERFECTLY. I'm pretty much a mess...
Bob's Retirement Build - My 55 TF
Bob's 700R4 Build (how-to)
DransportGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 11:03 PM   #3910
evilokc

yesterday I noticed I was running low on fuel and decided to run it out to see exactly where on the gauge the trucks dies. I put a gallon of gas in it and went to the gym. on the way it started to sputter and I turned onto a side street and it died. I pumped it and it started right back. I could probably get anther block or two. it died with the needle right on the line. I took a pic and you cant even see the line under it. when I got out to put the gas in a man was playing with his kids across the street. he asked if I needed help and I explained what I was doing. couple o minutes later of truck /hotrod talk he made a pretty generous offer on the truck. I thanked him and declined and went to the gym. when I was checking in the manager there also asked if the truck was for sale. I didn't even wash it. either its super cool or someone slipped a for sale sign in the rear window when I wasn't looking.
Old 10-21-2019, 05:23 PM   #3911
lowdownstar
big guy

Quote:
yesterday I noticed I was running low on fuel and decided to run it out to see exactly where on the gauge the trucks dies. I put a gallon of gas in it and went to the gym. on the way it started to sputter and I turned onto a side street and it died. I pumped it and it started right back. I could probably get anther block or two. it died with the needle right on the line. I took a pic and you cant even see the line under it. when I got out to put the gas in a man was playing with his kids across the street. he asked if I needed help and I explained what I was doing. couple o minutes later of truck /hotrod talk he made a pretty generous offer on the truck. I thanked him and declined and went to the gym. when I was checking in the manager there also asked if the truck was for sale. I didn't even wash it. either its super cool or someone slipped a for sale sign in the rear window when I wasn't looking.
my vote is it's a cool truck!
lowdownstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 08:41 PM   #3912
evilokc

made some progress on the correct inner fender. doing a combination of chemical and mechanical rust removal. its only Monday so maybe im gonna get this done.
Old 10-21-2019, 09:30 PM   #3913
1project2many

Well, it's a couple of days late but on Saturday I fired up the truck to take my son and his friend to his tenth birthday party at a local arcade. They loved the ride and it was fun for me because I'd forgotten just how people react is to the truck. For anyone trying to choose a color keep in mind chicks looove turquoise and ivory.

On a side note it was a little strange to think about my son turning ten while I was playing Asteroids, a game that came out when I was ten. Lotsa years between those two events.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 09:43 PM   #3914
1project2many

Well, it's a couple of days late but on Saturday I fired up the truck to take my son and his friend to my son's tenth birthday party at a local arcade. The kids loved the ride and it was fun for me because I'd forgotten just how people react to the truck. For anyone trying to choose a color keep in mind chicks looove turquoise and ivory.

On a side note it was a little strange to think about my son turning ten while I was playing Asteroids, a game that came out when I was ten. Lotsa years between those two events.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 09:53 PM   #3915
evilokc

more time on the inner fender. its getting there.
Old 10-22-2019, 11:10 PM   #3916
nvrdone

so ive been working on installing a set of Julanios seat belts in my '49.
I didn't like the way the reel and lower mounts worked, so ive made a pair of mounts from 1/8" x 3" angle. mounting them behind the seat riser, welding them to the floor and riser and taping them for the bolts that hold the cab mounts under the floor. then I can figure out how to fish the mounts down from the top of the cab for the top pivot point. I'm thinking fishing line and a coat hanger. wish me luck. sorry no pictures - haven't learned how to do that yet.
Old 10-23-2019, 01:34 AM   #3917
mick53

Finally got to mock up my trans and order the throw out bearing. My mock up engine has a stock crank and my flywheel wont bolt to it. I was a little concerned if it would all fit together. Here's what I have.
Billet crank by Crower
Billet flywheel by Mcleod
Contour 4:1 reduction starter by Petronix
Mcleod duel disk RXT clutch
Ordered Mcleod hydraulic throw out bearing.
Ordered Wilwood remote res. clutch master cylinder. My brakes are Wilwood.
American Power train aluminum bell housing. Rated the same as steel.
Tremec TKO 600 5 speed
Everything fit perfectly. I'm not torquing anything down just checking fitment. It was a fine day in the shop.
Attached Images

mick53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 04:17 AM   #3918
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvrdone View Post
so ive been working on installing a set of Julanios seat belts in my '49.
I didn't like the way the reel and lower mounts worked, so ive made a pair of mounts from 1/8" x 3" angle. mounting them behind the seat riser,
I did the same thing when I installed mine.
Old 10-23-2019, 09:23 AM   #3919
nvrdone

good to know that great minds think alike !! must be the North West weather....
Old 10-23-2019, 07:17 PM   #3920
evilokc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick53 View Post
Finally got to mock up my trans and order the throw out bearing. My mock up engine has a stock crank and my flywheel wont bolt to it. I was a little concerned if it would all fit together. Here's what I have.
Billet crank by Crower
Billet flywheel by Mcleod
Contour 4:1 reduction starter by Petronix
Mcleod duel disk RXT clutch
Ordered Mcleod hydraulic throw out bearing.
Ordered Wilwood remote res. clutch master cylinder. My brakes are Wilwood.
American Power train aluminum bell housing. Rated the same as steel.
Tremec TKO 600 5 speed
Everything fit perfectly. I'm not torquing anything down just checking fitment. It was a fine day in the shop.
are you doing a build thread on your motor build? I love straight motors.
Old 10-23-2019, 11:05 PM   #3921
mick53

Quote:
are you doing a build thread on your motor build? I love straight motors.
Not really yet. I'm collecting parts and mocking up. Will probably start a build thread when I really get started. I've been working on it about 2.5 years so far but I'm getting close to starting actual work. It's slow going. Should have my SFI damper in a few weeks. Dry sump oil pan should be about 2 weeks out. 12 port cross flow head is being heat treated and then needs machined. I have to take the whole truck to NC to get the blower plenum done. I'm shooting for drag week next year. I should have my front axle in a few weeks. I'm waiting for my custom spindles. Rear end is done. I am going to PRI in Indy in December for ignition and the rest of the dry sump stuff. Thank you for your time.
mick53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 07:07 PM   #3922
evilokc

drove the truck today. it was rainey but I wasn't worried. the wipers are okay. not amazing. im going to see if any one makes good blades for them. the heater kept me warm. need to seal the cab. the bad is that I noticed the rear window is leaking. lame. so lame.
Old 10-25-2019, 06:39 PM   #3923
evilokc

im not sure its the rear window leaking. I think its the lack of door rubber. I went out this morning after it sat outside on a terrible rainstorm that started last night about 9pm and the rain is still going on. its regular rain now but its still raining. the seat was all wet. the steering wheel was wet. the floor was wet. I have some door weather stripping. I may install that this weekend. runs great though.
Old 10-28-2019, 09:06 AM   #3924
nvrdone

so yesterday my wife was feeling under the weather. I suggested she stay on the couch watching Hallmark movies.
That gave me some garage time. Finished installing the seatbelts. got the upper mount installed & plug welded. they work great.
Next project is to have a sliding rear window installed. then maybe I can drive the old girl this summer.
Old 10-28-2019, 09:06 AM   #3925
nvrdone

so yesterday my wife was feeling under the weather. I suggested she stay on the couch watching Hallmark movies.
That gave me some garage time. Finished installing the seatbelts. got the upper mount installed & plug welded. they work great.
Next project is to have a sliding rear window installed. then maybe I can drive the old girl this summer.