The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-10-2019, 09:38 PM   #351
flashed

Re: Bench Seats, Having them Reupholstered

Do you do just new seat covers ? I need one for a 79 Big 10 Bonanza , Red Vinyl with plaid inserts .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 07:10 PM   #352
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashed View Post
Do you do just new seat covers ? I need one for a 79 Big 10 Bonanza , Red Vinyl with plaid inserts .
Normally no. All the covers are used on my seats that I build.
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 11:59 PM   #353
flashed

I understand , my seat is very nice and comfy , just not my style .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 02:05 PM   #354
allengator

will a 81-87 seat bolt into a 73-80 truck?
specifically a 1980?
I like the 81+ seat upholstery better!

1980 Chevy SWB Pickup (build thread)

1951 Chevy Sedan Delivery
2004 Chevy Tahoe Z71
2011 Harley Davidson Street Glide
2018 Silverado Z71 Crew Cab
allengator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 07:23 PM   #355
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by allengator View Post
will a 81-87 seat bolt into a 73-80 truck?
specifically a 1980?
I like the 81+ seat upholstery better!
Yes, all the 73-87 seats will bolt up to any of the 73-87 cabs. What you can’t do is switch the tracks amongst the seat frames. The tracks are specific to the frames. And they are:
73-76
77-80
81-87
So another words, you can’t take 81-87 tracks and bolt it to a 77-80 seat frame. But again, all the seats bolt to the cab floor, no matter what the year of seat.
Old 10-21-2019, 08:08 PM   #356
TKCR

Looks like a decent seat core, correct? This is going to be a perfect example of bad repairs from someone. A lot of CORRECT repairs are needed on this seat, to make her whole again and ready for Restoration.
First, the seat gets stripped down to reveal all the problems that need addressed.
2nd common broken springs.
3rd seat back rail broken.
4th close up of the seat rail break. This will be welded back together.
Last pic, this was a poor attempt at repairing a broken grid. The grids are not repairable, it’s best just to replace them, which this one will be. All the broken springs will be replaced with new springs also. Once all the repairs are made, the seat frame-tracks and hardware will be restored. Then it will be ready to be rebuilt, and be as good as new!
Attached Images

Old 10-22-2019, 04:59 AM   #357
Danmcg

Thanks for all your posts TK, I've learned a lot about seat repair from you.
Danmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 05:32 PM   #358
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmcg View Post
Thanks for all your posts TK, I've learned a lot about seat repair from you.
Old 10-24-2019, 05:34 PM   #359
TKCR

Got a bunch of tracks done this week, along with a few rear seat brackets for the Crew Cabs.
Attached Images

Old 10-24-2019, 05:38 PM   #360
TKCR

The seat frame, from post #357, I got all the springs replaced and installed a good grid. Got it all sandblasted & repainted.
Attached Images

Old 10-24-2019, 05:48 PM   #361
TKCR

I thought I would try something different, for the sandblasting. I got this from Harbor Freight, 40% off the regular price. Works pretty darn good. I was able to do all the tracks & rear brackets, from post #360 and a seat frame, in just a few hours. Before I could only do about 2 sets in a few hours. And my hands would be so tired after those 2 sets, so I was way behind on getting any tracks completed.
Attached Images

Old 10-25-2019, 01:07 PM   #362
DD1

Hi, I was referred to your post by another board member. I have a 71 C10 and I regrettably disposed of my seat after getting a used one. The used seat turns out to be for a later model truck, and although I have not determined which type truck it is for as yet, your thread has been helpful.

I kept the tracks for the 71 seat. Do you know if I can modify the later model seat to work with those tracks?

Any suggestions you have on the best way to make this seat work with a 71 is appreciated. Or if you have some other options for me to consider, let me know.

Below is a pic of the seat. I can post a pic of the top of the seat later today if you would like.

Thanks,

Darien

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=502964
DD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 07:45 PM   #363
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD1 View Post
Hi, I was referred to your post by another board member. I have a 71 C10 and I regrettably disposed of my seat after getting a used one. The used seat turns out to be for a later model truck, and although I have not determined which type truck it is for as yet, your thread has been helpful.

I kept the tracks for the 71 seat. Do you know if I can modify the later model seat to work with those tracks?

Any suggestions you have on the best way to make this seat work with a 71 is appreciated. Or if you have some other options for me to consider, let me know.

Below is a pic of the seat. I can post a pic of the top of the seat later today if you would like.

Thanks,

Darien

The seat in your photo is an 81-87 seat, Chevy Truck, and one that is in pretty bad shape too. You have a lot of missing springs and the grid looks to be damaged in places too. And because the mismatch of foam, I would say the foam is badly damaged too.
As for the tracks and the 71 truck. The tracks are totally different on the 67-72 generation of trucks. Even on the 73-87 generation, you cannot swap tracks. The track has to match the frame. They are as follows:
73-76
77-80
81-87
So another words you wouldn’t be able to bolt the 81-87 tracks to a 77-80 frame. The only way to use different tracks, on different frames, is to weld them. Also the 67-72 tracks have risers, they make the seat sit up higher. There is a thread on 67-72 board, discussing seat tracks.
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...ht=Seat+tracks
Old 10-25-2019, 08:38 PM   #364
DD1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKCR View Post
The seat in your photo is an 81-87 seat, Chevy Truck, and one that is in pretty bad shape too. You have a lot of missing springs and the grid looks to be damaged in places too. And because the mismatch of foam, I would say the foam is badly damaged too.
As for the tracks and the 71 truck. The tracks are totally different on the 67-72 generation of trucks. Even on the 73-87 generation, you cannot swap tracks. The track has to match the frame. They are as follows:
73-76
77-80
81-87
So another words you wouldn’t be able to bolt the 81-87 tracks to a 77-80 frame. The only way to use different tracks, on different frames, is to weld them. Also the 67-72 tracks have risers, they make the seat sit up higher. There is a thread on 67-72 board, discussing seat tracks.
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...ht=Seat+tracks
Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. I wish I had not tossed my original seat.

I’m not ready for a new seat yet; it would probably just get damaged. Do you tend to have 67-72 seats available?

Thanks!
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=502964
DD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 09:13 PM   #365
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD1 View Post
Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. I wish I had not tossed my original seat.

I’m not ready for a new seat yet; it would probably just get damaged. Do you tend to have 67-72 seats available?

Thanks!
I have one, 67-68. But it is already spoken for. They are extremely hard to find. The pick are when I got it, and then after I stripped it down and restored the frame.
Attached Images

Old 10-25-2019, 09:15 PM   #366
TKCR

And then the tracks. They are 67-68, I have them marked wrong
Attached Images

Old 10-25-2019, 09:52 PM   #367
TKCR

Took a little road trip to Cincinnati. Picked up a few seat cores and a set of Charcoal Seat Belts. The Blue Seat is a S10 Benchseat. I have gotten a few requests for those. So it will be my 1st time for an S10 Restoration.
Attached Images

Old 10-26-2019, 07:51 PM   #368
TKCR

Here’s a better pic of the S10 Benchseat. It is very similar to the full size Benchseats, just not as wide. Got both or the seats torn down today.
Attached Images

Old 10-26-2019, 07:57 PM   #369
TKCR

This will be the next seat to be built. 77-80 tilting seat. It will be going in a 77. Black Velour/Vinyl. More pics to come when I get it built.
Attached Images

Old 10-27-2019, 06:06 AM   #370
MikeB

Just bought this seat upholstery from LMC and had it installed locally. Fortunately the seat base and back were in great shape.

1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 06:00 PM   #371
TKCR

I got the seat built today, using the cover in the above post. This is a 1977-1980 Tilting bench seat. The frame, tracks and hardware have all been restored. Black Velour/Vinyl.
Attached Images

Old 10-28-2019, 11:12 AM   #372
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

tkcr,
great work.... I always check in to see what you have new to work on. I wanted to know how you like the HF blaster so far? Also I was wondering how you utilize it in relation to containing the "spray"?? do you have an inclosure? finally i was wondering if you are able/do bucket seats for our trucks? I have a '86 and looking at putting buckets in? I am looking into maybe doing a pair of late model (2013 newer) as well, just curious....

thanks for the "threads" on the seat rebulds...
rodstored-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 12:43 PM   #373
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodstored-72 View Post
tkcr,
great work.... I always check in to see what you have new to work on. I wanted to know how you like the HF blaster so far? Also I was wondering how you utilize it in relation to containing the "spray"?? do you have an inclosure? finally i was wondering if you are able/do bucket seats for our trucks? I have a '86 and looking at putting buckets in? I am looking into maybe doing a pair of late model (2013 newer) as well, just curious....

thanks for the "threads" on the seat rebulds...
I like the HF blaster so far. It does better than the siphon in the bucket. And I have a cabinet for the small stuff. It has enabled me to work faster. Before, then really bad stuff, I took to a friend that sandblasts. He has a big setup!! I just do mine outside, my friend has a extension off his pole barn, to contain his. It’s a room dedicated to sandblasting. He does a lot of big tractors.
I have done only a set of 1970 GTO buckets. They are further back on this seat thread. I get asked a lot about buckets. I can do them, but I need the seats. I don’t have a stock of cores, like I do the bench seats. And this I know from doing the GTO buckets, there is a lot more work involved in bucket seats.
Old 10-28-2019, 04:11 PM   #374
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKCR View Post
....And this I know from doing the GTO buckets, there is a lot more work involved in bucket seats.
I would guess so as well, I guess it is like doing 2 benches, just shorter distance I recently bought the smaller "grey" blaster from HF, it seems to work pretty good, I just need to figure out a "containment system". thank you for the reply.
rodstored-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 04:26 PM   #375
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodstored-72 View Post
I would guess so as well, I guess it is like doing 2 benches, just shorter distance I recently bought the smaller "grey" blaster from HF, it seems to work pretty good, I just need to figure out a "containment system". thank you for the reply.
Nope, on the contrary, there are a lot of parts & springs. The covers a a royal pain to get on!! The bench seats are way easier to do. I would gladly do 10 bench seats, over doing buckets, lol. I’ll do them, but it’s hard work, and hard on the hands!! Those GTO buckets I did, took about 3 months. But I was still working too, I’m retired now. But I had to take them in stages to complete, and then there’s 2 of them. I took my time, I wanted to make sure I did them right the 1st time.
Attached Images