The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-29-2019, 11:49 AM   #1
Ultrasummer

Advice on new suspension kits

I'm always thinking two or three moves ahead on my truck. Soon to come is a complete suspension upgrade. Right now if feels like I'm going down a trail in a covered wagon when I drive this old gem. I like things stock-ish. No lowering. No bags. None of that. Original look with a comfortable ride. I've looked at the different venders and can't seem to find a complete kit that seems right. Does lowered spindles mean the truck will be lowered? Most of these kits have lowered spindles but I don't want to lower my truck. I want to address the front and back end. I'm getting ready to do manual to power steering upgrade and then the suspension. I welcome your thoughts and suggestions.
Oh...almost forgot :
1968 Chevy C10
Stepside. SWB
307 engine with 4 speed manual
Ultrasummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 03:55 PM   #2
Aus69c20

Re: Advice on new suspension kits

If you’re not looking to lower your truck a good set of shock absorbers will possibly be enough to smooth out your ride. If that doesn’t do the job then a new set of stock height coils would be the next step. Assuming of course that you have a coil sprung rear end.
I would also check things like cab mounts, bushes, ball joints ant tie rod ends are not worn out first.
Approaching it this way will possibly save you some money against buying a whole kit.

69 c20, 396, th400, dana60, ps, ac
Aus69c20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 04:12 PM   #3
Ziegelsteinfaust

KYB gas a just shocks give stock suspension a firmer, but still very nice ride. Which are my personal favorite.

Gabriel has some gas matics ride great, and not too expensive. They give a softer float to the ride which many like too.

Shocks are a major point of suspension tuning, and depend on you for the final outcomes. So you have to think about your dreams, and the realities of how you use your truck. Then try to find the best option that makes you happiest.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 06:55 PM   #4
davischevy

If you are not looking to change the ride height of the truck, I can't imagine you need any kind of "kit".

Have a front end alignment done to check for loose components.

As said shocks would be a good place to start.

If yours doesn't have one, a sway bar will do wonders. Used sway bars come up on here for sale from time to time. A sway bar off most GM trucks 1967-1987 will work.

A steering box from a 1979 will give you closer ratio steering, and that can be acquired from an auto parts store.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote