The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-29-2020, 07:36 PM   #1
General23cmp

Vintage air, radiator cooling fans

Who here has Vintage Air, and what did you do for you electric fans? I know a guy that has this, and he said he had to keep his dual fans on high to avoid excessive head pressure. That’s certainly doable, but I’m not sure how his is set up and the quality of his fans.

Do you normally have your low fan setting turn on one of the two fans at high speed or do you have both come on at a low speed like many LS cars had (high would be both at high speed....this is done with three relays)? What do you have happen when the AC turns the fans on (one fan or two, high speed or low?)?

Thanks.
General23cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 06:06 AM   #2
ls1nova71

Re: Vintage air, radiator cooling fans

The high and low fan speeds are controlled by the PCM based on engine temperature. For A/C, the fans should be controlled by a trinary switch so they come on based on head pressure. They need to come on high as there is only one setting that they will come on, so if you set them to come on low, if that isn't enough there would be no way to trigger the high speed.

5.3 swap into my RUSTY '71 C10
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...71-c-10-a.html
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 09:10 PM   #3
nsb29

I have duel fans controlled by the ecm and three relays both fans run on low speed or high depending on temperature for the a/c I have a binary switch and a high pressure transducer Which will allow the ECM to see the pressure of the AC system so that it can stage the cooling fans accordingly bump the idle and calculate load this is how all LS equipped vehicles operate in factory form
Old 12-30-2020, 10:19 PM   #4
General23cmp

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsb29 View Post
I have duel fans controlled by the ecm and three relays both fans run on low speed or high depending on temperature for the a/c I have a binary switch and a high pressure transducer Which will allow the ECM to see the pressure of the AC system so that it can stage the cooling fans accordingly bump the idle and calculate load this is how all LS equipped vehicles operate in factory form
Is your AC compressor factory LS style or Vintage Air Sanden? What year LS did you use, and do you recall if the ECM needed a ground or 12v on the pin that tells it that the AC is on? Some LS engines use 12v and some use ground. Mine is an 02 LQ9.
General23cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 08:56 AM   #5
nsb29

The compressor is Sanden, as for the transducer there are three wires that go to it, harness is from BPautomotive I have no idea what pin or pins they go to.
The engine is out of a 2009 Pontiac G8 L76

Last edited by nsb29; 12-31-2020 at 09:03 AM.
nsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 12:19 PM   #6
paul mora

If you bought the widening harness from BP give them a call the tech support can answer all you questions
Old 12-31-2020, 02:33 PM   #7
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

I put the inline pressure switch in and use a binary switch along with dual fans on the Entropy radiator.
Attached Images

1971 C10 Stepside. LSx 6.0 with BTR Stage IV, Speed Engineering Headers, 4L80e transmission w/3200 Circle-D Stall. 3.73. Posi. Purchased this truck when I was 17. I started the rebuild (or take apart) in 1993. I have drug it around all over the country in pieces. Finally back on the road in 2021.

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far."
1971Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote