The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-01-2020, 12:35 AM   #401
davischevy

Re: What did you do today not on your truck...

I used to polish aluminum, but I sold it when I retired.
Attached Images

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 06:28 AM   #402
special-K
Special Order

Now there's some aluminum that never needed to be "brought back" very far

Bead blasting is the easiest way to go. There is always hand work and in this case that would be sandpaper. I'd start with a solution, such as the Eagle 1 product. I had a nasty nasty set of aluminum slots I bought stupid cheap. They were stained brownish black and rough from brake dust. I first used oven cleaner. That did a great job toward breaking through that crud and showing some silver. But it discolored the metal some and left the white crusty deposits. I then tried wheel cleaner and Scotchbrite but that wasn't getting it very well. Seemed a bit light duty for what was needed, so I went to wet sanding with fine paper. I think I used the wheel cleaner with it. Brought them to a point I was happy with. I didn't ever want then brand new polished looking, just aged aluminum to go with the rest of the unrestored truck

Burnished finish is "as cast", such as the engine case on a Harley. It is what you have after bead blasting... unmachined/unpolished

EDIT: I saw other Larry's post above and though I was on CG's "bring these wheels back" thread. All that typing in the wrong thread... dayum. Hey CG, come take a look at this thread!
Attached Images

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 12-01-2020 at 06:47 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 01:23 PM   #403
davischevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Now there's some aluminum that never needed to be "brought back" very far

Bead blasting is the easiest way to go. There is always hand work and in this case that would be sandpaper. I'd start with a solution, such as the Eagle 1 product. I had a nasty nasty set of aluminum slots I bought stupid cheap. They were stained brownish black and rough from brake dust. I first used oven cleaner. That did a great job toward breaking through that crud and showing some silver. But it discolored the metal some and left the white crusty deposits. I then tried wheel cleaner and Scotchbrite but that wasn't getting it very well. Seemed a bit light duty for what was needed, so I went to wet sanding with fine paper. I think I used the wheel cleaner with it. Brought them to a point I was happy with. I didn't ever want then brand new polished looking, just aged aluminum to go with the rest of the unrestored truck

Burnished finish is "as cast", such as the engine case on a Harley. It is what you have after bead blasting... unmachined/unpolished

EDIT: I saw other Larry's post above and though I was on CG's "bring these wheels back" thread. All that typing in the wrong thread... dayum. Hey CG, come take a look at this thread!
I was following both threads, so you never lost me at all.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 01:34 PM   #404
57taskforce
All about them K’s

Don’t worry Tim, I do that same thing more than I care to admit
‘69 K10 SWB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
‘87 IROC-Z all original 50K mile survivor TPI 305 IROC Blue
‘10 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue Metallic #93 -version 2.0
57taskforce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 03:28 PM   #405
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper View Post
Been a while since I’ve been in the er. Cut it with a filet knife doing backstraps for dinner ,deer got me back . So know I’ll have matching hands after my surgery next week
OWWWWWWWWWWWWCH!

I used some of the holiday weekend to get a chunk of siding up. I wasn't go to put up the scaffold... but it's sooooo much easier and faster. I've gotten really good at putting it up. I had all those sections up in under an hour. *The short pieces were just scraps I threw up to make it look more done on the corner

We also took the little guy to get our first real tree. We go a couple hours north in NC and cut our own. We don't have to do it that way, there's closer places, but it's a nice drive and a good trip. We were going to skip this year, because he's only 3 months, but my mom is having a huge family Christmas in NY next year (all told with grand kids we're talking 26 people - 2 parents, 7 kids, 17 grand kids) and we'll be gone for that entire week, we'll probably throw up our old fake one with a few lights. It was also last minute, so we took big blue instead of old blue... old blue's brakes have gotten a little too sketchy for mountain driving.

And the wife decorated and we had to fire up the fire place for the first night this year... brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
Attached Images

1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!

Last edited by 67ChevyRedneck; 12-01-2020 at 03:36 PM.
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 04:22 PM   #406
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Very nice Jesse

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 07:58 PM   #407
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by davischevy View Post
I was following both threads, so you never lost me at all.
I was following both too. But, I got lost......

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 07:59 PM   #408
Ol Blue K20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck View Post
OWWWWWWWWWWWWCH!

I used some of the holiday weekend to get a chunk of siding up. I wasn't go to put up the scaffold... but it's sooooo much easier and faster. I've gotten really good at putting it up. I had all those sections up in under an hour. *The short pieces were just scraps I threw up to make it look more done on the corner

We also took the little guy to get our first real tree. We go a couple hours north in NC and cut our own. We don't have to do it that way, there's closer places, but it's a nice drive and a good trip. We were going to skip this year, because he's only 3 months, but my mom is having a huge family Christmas in NY next year (all told with grand kids we're talking 26 people - 2 parents, 7 kids, 17 grand kids) and we'll be gone for that entire week, we'll probably throw up our old fake one with a few lights. It was also last minute, so we took big blue instead of old blue... old blue's brakes have gotten a little too sketchy for mountain driving.

And the wife decorated and we had to fire up the fire place for the first night this year... brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
Shop is looking good as is the tree. Very nice!

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Old 12-01-2020, 08:05 PM   #409
72c20customcamper

Quote:
OWWWWWWWWWWWWCH!

We cut our tree too little closer like 10 minutes down the road. I need a shop like that my 2 car garage is stuffed full 2 cars with enough parts to build another
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 10:51 PM   #410
67ChevyRedneck

Thanks It's already too small and it's not even done. 28x52 with 500 SF of storage in the rafters with a 6' ceiling.

So, my wife informed me the tree wasn't done. It's done now
Attached Images

Project "On a Dime"
Old 12-01-2020, 11:23 PM   #411
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Thanks It's already too small and it's not even done. 28x52 with 500 SF of storage in the rafters with a 6' ceiling.

So, my wife informed me the tree wasn't done. It's done now

If your shop was 4 ft wider it would be the same size as my house...... Lookin' good!

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 11:48 PM   #412
67ChevyRedneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
If your shop was 4 ft wider it would be the same size as my house...... Lookin' good!

LockDoc
Same. I think my House is 32x36 with two floors and the attached garage is 22x24 with a bonus room above it. The foot print is only +/-250 SF smaller than the foot print of my house/attached garage combined.
Project "On a Dime"
Old 12-02-2020, 02:42 AM   #413
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
Same. I think my House is 32x36 with two floors and the attached garage is 22x24 with a bonus room above it. The foot print is only +/-250 SF smaller than the foot print of my house/attached garage combined.
Nothing beats a big garage... Except maybe two big garages.

I've been thinking of buying the lot next to my house and putting a shop on it.
But I live in the hills so I'd have to have it graded which would be $$$$. I have a half acre now but I can't build on it because it's all hillside. I can't even put in a pool. Thank god because my wife wanted one and I don't want to clean the d@mn thing. I'll never use it. I was delighted when they said it wouldn't work.

Your garage is looking great Jesse. I may do the same. That lot has been sitting vacant and for sale as long as I've lived here. They might want to strike a deal. Who knows?

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 07:50 AM   #414
dave6672

I live on a hillside as well and bought the one acre lot next to me and built a 24 x 40 garage on it. Due to the angle on which it is built, the concrete cost was twice the cost of the garage.

1972 K20
1972 C20 Highlander
1957 Chevy 210 Delray
1967 C10
dave6672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 08:21 AM   #415
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

Very nice looking building ,,and with all the insulation we have now and wrapping the walls before siding ..air tight . curious what you are heating the building with . I see no stove pipe .. again great job you have done and a shop size like that so usable .
Old 12-02-2020, 09:28 AM   #416
67ChevyRedneck

I live in the hilly part of SC, so our seasons are "mild." It's usable "as is" from mid Feb-June and Sept to almost Dec. without heat or air, with July/August hot as all get out and Dec/Jan really the only months too cold to be comfortable.

I'm looking into a traditional heat pump system with an air handler in the attic or a mini split system is looking more and more appealing. Based on the size, I think I need two units. That will be a few years down the road, I'm leaving 3" PVC in the walls for future wiring, heat/coolant lines, and drip line. The attic will be "open" with built in shelving.

We need to replace the upstairs HVAC in our house this spring. I'm trying to build the entire thing with cash and a small HELOC loan. I'm doing pretty well so far, as it sits, everything is paid for (electrical is done) and I've only used about 5K of the loan. I do need about another 15K to finish. Doors, insulation, and all the finishes are $$$.

I've lost track, but I think I have 38-40K in it so far (Concrete was $$, it has a real foundation and the floor is 5.5" thick). I've done everything but the grading/concrete, shingles (I did the sheeting and underlayment though) and the electrical. I rented a crane for a few hours and my friends help me set the trusses. That was a fun day. The crane operator was awesome.

I could have done a metal building for much cheaper (and been done already!), but I live in an awesome older neighborhood with some really nice homes with 0.75 to 1.5 acres each and our home value has climbed 100K in the 10 years we've owned it and I want it to keep climbing.

Paul do it! I'm trying to buy the two lots next to me (0.7 acres total). It's all wooded and I want it to stay that way. We've made an offer. The seller seemed willing, but dragging their feet now. It's an old subdivision plat from the 60's that never got built. The problem today is that the lots are too small for new septic requirements with the size houses they need to build to make a subdivision profitable, so it all sits and I'm good with that. I think there's something like 12 different owners of 20 lots. My neighbors tell me most of it is owned by people trying to use the address for our school district.

You're not kidding Dave! All my grading/concrete work came out to around 17K I had 3 quotes and they were all pretty similar. It will end up being about 1/3 of my total cost.
Project "On a Dime"

Last edited by 67ChevyRedneck; 12-02-2020 at 12:29 PM.
Old 12-02-2020, 12:22 PM   #417
1976gmc20

We bought the 20 acre lot next to us mostly just to keep anyone else from building a house on it.

We don't need any more neighbors
1958 Chevy C-60; 1965 GMC C-50; 1965 Chevy C-10; 1971 Chevy K-10; 1973 Chevy K-20; 1976 GMC C-20; 1977 Chevy C-10 Suburban; 1980 Chevy K-10; 1989 Chevy K1500; 1991 GMC V1500 Suburban; 2016 Chevy K2500 HD

Other vehicles: 1988 Jeep XJ; 2011 Toyota 4Runner
1976gmc20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 11:42 AM   #418
72c20customcamper

Had my surgery yesterday. Still numb from the long lasting local believe doc said 32 stitches from my mid pinky to my palm and ring finger was still a little loopy when I saw him after surgery . Go back in two weeks to have the stitches removed then the pain starts with pt
Attached Images

1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.

Last edited by 72c20customcamper; 12-03-2020 at 01:04 PM.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 12:21 PM   #419
57taskforce
All about them K’s

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper View Post
Had my surgery yesterday. Still numb from the long lasting local believe doc said 32 stitches from my mid pinky to my palm and ring finger was still a little loopy when I saw him after surgery . Go back in two weeks to have the stitches removed the pt .
Hope you have a speedy recovery! That don’t look like fun at all.
‘69 K10 SWB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
‘87 IROC-Z all original 50K mile survivor TPI 305 IROC Blue
‘10 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue Metallic #93 -version 2.0
57taskforce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 12:41 PM   #420
67ChevyRedneck

Just remember, that's not TP

Seriously... ouch....
Project "On a Dime"
Old 12-03-2020, 06:40 PM   #421
special-K
Special Order

Hoping for a smooth recovery

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 06:42 PM   #422
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 09:49 PM   #423
Ol Blue K20

I hope you heal quickly with as little pain as possible.

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Old 12-03-2020, 10:20 PM   #424
1976gmc20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57taskforce View Post
Hope you have a speedy recovery! That don’t look like fun at all.
Yes, on both accounts (ouch!).

Well, it was 50 degrees today so like a dang fool I thought I could run the surface water line to the barn. Turned it on but it's not getting through to the drain valve in the bottom of the coulee, so I started hauling hot water down the hill to thaw it out. First the teakettle and then five gallon jugs! After three hours and digging up a short stretch that I had previously buried because I thought I wanted to mow there, it still wasn't running. Ran out of energy and daylight and after she got home from shopping in town, we pulled apart a splice so at least part of it could drain and I could shut it off for the night.

So almost four hours of fighting with it just to save hauling water to the barn which I had to do anyway
1958 Chevy C-60; 1965 GMC C-50; 1965 Chevy C-10; 1971 Chevy K-10; 1973 Chevy K-20; 1976 GMC C-20; 1977 Chevy C-10 Suburban; 1980 Chevy K-10; 1989 Chevy K1500; 1991 GMC V1500 Suburban; 2016 Chevy K2500 HD

Other vehicles: 1988 Jeep XJ; 2011 Toyota 4Runner
1976gmc20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 06:09 PM   #425
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

I made enchiladas' (again) They were good. But they were HOT! I may have gone a little crazy with the chilies. I'm trying to dial in my enchilada sauce to be like a place in LA that I used to eat at all the time. Those were the best. These were close but way too much heat.

My problem is that I have a tendency to go a little overboard with the spices. I know that. And I'm trying to tone it down a notch.

But they were tasty. As long as you don't mind having your mouth catch on fire.

I got complements. But everyone was sweating and fanning their mouths.

What can I say? I don't like bland food.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote