The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-08-2012, 06:16 PM   #1
NORNEV525

good motor setup for my 350 .30 over???

ok this is my first post im new to the forum i think ill be upgrading my membership soon cuz this site is amazing so id love to support anyway i could but anyways here goes ive got a chevy 350 bored .30 its got a 4bolt main over came out of a 70's model k10 and my head is spinning with all the options for parts just wondering what you guys have had luck with ok so first

the goal-400 hp 450 ft lbs or something close this will be my DD as well

the budget- about 2000-2200

since its my first post heres a pic of the truck ive got it bought for 1400
Attached Images

NORNEV525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:06 PM   #2
Daves70

Re: good motor setup for my 350 .30 over???

How does the olds motor run? Personally I like them better than the smallblock.They are solid and make good torque.It's personal preferance but if that motor is ok I would use the money fixing up the truck.For a cheap smallblock build look for some vortec heads. Oh and welcome to the board.
Daves70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:22 AM   #3
RexDodge

I assume that the budget you are talking about is for your motor. You're going to need to make it breathe to get that kind of hp/torque. That includes from the top (carb) to bottom (headers/exhaust). For that budget you are going to have to do most of the work your self. Don't worry, it's doable and fun. Do your research, know your parts (carb/heads/pistons/exhaust). Watch out for all the "helpfull hints" you are going to get. You'll need to sort your way through all the crap like, "just get a huge cam and carberator, blah blah blah". Find a great machine shop you can trust to do all your machine work. Mark all your parts with a scribe pen and your initials...no further explanation needed. Most of all...have fun!
Quick question...have you torn this motor down? If so, check the main bearings. Your going to really do your homework on what rotating assembly you have to work with. Do you know the history of the motor?
RexDodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:02 AM   #4
NORNEV525

Yes that is the motor for te budget and I'm using the chevy because it's already bored over and Rexdodge I'm trying to find out what goes well together and if I need to go over the budget it isn't that big of a deal I'm in the army so all I have to do is wait two more weeks for that next paycheck and if I wanted to add a 100 to 150 of nos will I have to do all forged rotating assembly
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-10-2012, 10:40 AM   #5
RexDodge

Thank you for your service! The NOS is an easy way to get hp in quick little bursts but having a solid motor is way more fun to drive on the street. How many miles are on the motor since the bore to .30 over? If you have not torn it down it would be a good idea to take compression readings on each cylinder and also do a leak down test to check valves/rings. Chances are you will have to change pistons to get to your hp goal. With that you will be at least honing the cylinders and installing a new set of quality rings. If the pistons are stock you will need to go aftermarket to get some compression. There are programs you can buy fairly cheap to experiment with different combinations (carb/cam/compression/header tube size) to see what direction to go. Even if you go the NOS route your going to need to do some bowl work on your heads. You gotta get them to breath or nothing works. Warning on the NOS route. Get your set up right and you'll get a whole lot of wahoo when you hit the button...get it wrong and kapow! You're on the right track mentioning a forged rotating assembly. Getting that hp you want will take some detailing all the way to indexing your spark plugs. Have fun.
RexDodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:14 PM   #6
86 K-10

pocket ported vortec heads and a big cam.

chevy high performance magazine made 408hp with a gmgoodwrench crate 350 and never touched the bottom end...they did a ton of pulls testing different combos and it never flinched
86 K-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:34 PM   #7
NORNEV525

thanks guys appreciate the help
Old 05-11-2012, 01:44 AM   #8
dukcaln

my mods in the sig makes a good runner but for me to get the hp you want I would need different heads and larger cam
Old 04-28-2014, 05:58 PM   #9
Colombo70

Welcome to the board! I'm also still pretty new as well but as far as your hp and torque needs with your budget I would look into the edelbrock top end kits. I know they sell a 435hp and I think 405 in torque kit for $2000. All the brain work is done for you.
Colombo70 is offline   Reply With Quote