The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > S10 S15 Luv Blazer

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-08-2020, 11:35 AM   #1
RTHarvey

Soft plug

One of the soft plugs (or freeze plugs or?) is leaking on my grand daughters 1992 S10, V6. I think the manufacturer says that no sealant is needed, but that makes me a little nervous. Does anyone have advice on how to do this? Sealant or no? What kind of sealant? Brass or steel? Thanks in advance for any advice.
RTHarvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 08:30 PM   #2
AussieinNC

Re: Soft plug

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTHarvey View Post
One of the soft plugs (or freeze plugs or?) is leaking on my grand daughters 1992 S10, V6. I think the manufacturer says that no sealant is needed, but that makes me a little nervous. Does anyone have advice on how to do this? Sealant or no? What kind of sealant? Brass or steel? Thanks in advance for any advice.
I only use Brass plugs...and seal them with Permatex Form-A-Gasket #1 sealant.

Have fun with getting to them...

Have you thought of trying some leak sealer like Bars Leaks Stop Leak...might save you some headaches for the time being....

2006 Chevy Silverado (Daily Driver)
2012 Chevy Equinox

AussieinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 02:45 PM   #3
Redneck Rydes

My friend had a 1991 S10 with a 4.3 always had a anti freeze leak behind the bellhousing,we had to pull the tranny and everything,changed the frost plug and good to go a year or so later started leaking again,so we pulled it all apart but this time we felt around inside the block and found a piece of casting flash that was plugging up with antifreeze gunk ,and was causing the steel plug to get pinholes in it,,gently tapped of the flash and like Aussie says,a little Permatex,tap in flush with the block,and no more leaks in 10 years.
Redneck Rydes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 09:12 PM   #4
RTHarvey

OK--Here is an update. The core plug in question had rusted thru, and was in danger of utter failure. We pulled it out, and went back with a steel one. It was actually too small. It just pushed in, but we had Indian Head sealant on it, so we decided to let it set for 24 hrs. Put the pressure tester on it, and it leaked. So we pulled that one out, and went with a brass one that was bigger. Problem with that was that it was big enough to fit like it should, and needed a hammer to coax in, but there isn't enough room to swing a hammer. So, we went with the rubber expanding kind. It seems to be holding. I don't think the rubber one will last forever, but that is about the only option, so it we have to replace it in two years, I guess that's what we will do.
RTHarvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 10:30 PM   #5
CastIron

I think the expandable rubber will work for awhile. If it continues to leak, pulling the engine is really going to be the only option. I personally would try the expandable plug first, just like you did.
CastIron is offline   Reply With Quote