The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-30-2020, 07:25 PM   #1
hotrod1
56 - autocross

55-59 Windshield Fit

I noticed that 55 to 59 windshield rubber has issues fitting around the bottom corners - sharp angle and then the edge folding in.

What have you done to fix that? Have you done any windshield fitting when in the bodywork phase before paint?

Does this make sense?

Thanks
hotrod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 09:28 PM   #2
dsraven

Re: 55-59 Windshield Fit

a good sized lip on the cab will help hold the rubber in. I have found that some cabs have very little lip in that dogleg corner. then some sealer maybe. pull the rubber up when the glass is in so you can get the end of the caulk gun in there. what I used to do to find a leak or road noise is turn the fan on high and close the doors/windows then run some really soapy wash water on the areas in question. the wash water will bubble up where the leaks are. you could do the same thing by using a shop vac on "blow" and run the hose in through the vent window, duct tape it in to seal or use some thick shop rags/towels.
some of the glass guys that would come to the truck shop would use plumbers putty or rv sealer that comes on a roll, like putty. they would put some between the rubber and the cab where they found leaks or were suspecting a leak. that stuff comes off, sealer isn't that easy to get off. one old cab that I stripped had that putty in the seal area.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote