The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-03-2002, 02:49 PM   #1
72gmcshorty

Exclamation Need wiring help

Got the motor started yesterday!! Unfortunatley with a lot of hassle from the wiring harness. Other than to the starter, are there any other wires that go from the positive side of the battery? I've put in an HEI and a new style alternator. I think I did everything correctly in changing those over. We were only trying to get the starter to start when we turned the key. I plugged my engine harness into the fuse panel, lights came on the cluster, went to turn the key and nothing!! We figured out that if we hooked up the red wire (with a fuse encased in solid plastic about 1" long) that runs to the little junction block that mounts on the right passenger fender directly to the battery, that the key would start the starter. So we were doing this for a while to get the motor going after a while though the thing wouldn't start anymore. Same as before. Turn the key and nothing going to the starter anymore. Don't know what is wrong. No fuses are blown in the fuse panel. Any ideas?
Old 11-03-2002, 03:39 PM   #2
hanssolo

Is the hot wire on the correct solenoid terminal? Its B, not S. Thats the wire to trace. B goes to battery. A fusible link should go from battery to alternator and thru the firewall. S from solenoid goes to firewall also to ign. switch. Also, if changing from points distr. make sure to relace the resistor wire.