The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-25-2019, 09:39 PM   #1
T97

Question Back of cab pinch rust pics included

What are you guys doing to match the curve of the pinch along the floorboard on the back of the cab? I dont see any reproductions of these body lines other than on the cab corners and i dont want to have to buy 2 sets of cab corners to cut up to match.

I figured after i cut out and replace the bad metal i would treat both surfaces and seal up the the gap behind the gas tank with seal sealer for the future.
Attached Images

T97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 11:28 PM   #2
Vinceg

Re: Back of cab pinch rust pics included

Hey T97,
Your in for a bit of a struggle. I had to do the rear seam across the whole back of my cab. Because it is a pinch weld there is a pretty good chance that the inside metal is in the same shape as the outside. What I did was I went to a local sheet metal shop and had them bend up some two inch wide strips with the contour of the rear sheet metal. Lengths varied because they were using scraps. It was cheaper that way. I think I had about 8 feet worth of contour bent metal to work along the back side of the cab. The inside is a flat piece and it is really hard to access due to the rear cab support under the cab. after cutting the seam out I then cut the outside metal up the two inches. It gave me access to the inner piece. I then trimmed the inside metal and welded new metal to the inner. I then welded the outside on. Screwed them together until I had the seam replaced. I then removed the screws one at a time and plug welded them together. Not sure if that is the right term for the weld but it ends up replicating the spot weld. I did this in about 8 to 10 inch sections so I didn’t compromise the cab and have to worry about added support. Went till I’d worked my way across the back of the cab. I epoxie primed it and seam sealed the inside. It is a big job and very time consuming. I hope someone on here can provide you a better way to do it. I’m in no way saying that it is the way to do it. It’s just the way I did mine and it was lots of work.

Good Luck
Vince
Vinceg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 12:03 AM   #3
jrusher

I had a local shop bend me up some pieces for my 65 and my 61. I used the cab corner pieces as well
Attached Images

Last edited by jrusher; 11-26-2019 at 12:09 AM.
jrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 01:33 PM   #4
Duncan K

Post 105 on my build thread shows what I did. I was lucky enough to get a donor cab back wall that wasn't rotted out. Getting some pcs bent up by a local shop is a great way to handle this

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=754257&page=5