The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > FAQ Truck Tech > Paint and Bodywork > Sheetmetal and Fab

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-22-2007, 01:21 PM   #1
Rokcrln

Rocker replacement 101

LFD's
Rocker panel replacement 101
and related work

Ok I have been getting alot of PM's and E-mails latley about rocker replacement so I thought I would put this out for anyone looking for info. Now this is by no meens the only way or even the right way but it is how I do most of my replacements.
I first start off with a good look over the area for any wire's or lines that may have been added to this area over the years. Mine has the oil cooler mounted to the back side of the rocker and that looks to be it. I have seen some real weird stuff over the years so look first before cutting. As you can see my rocker looks good and if it wasn't for the one hole above the front of the rocker on the A pillar I probaly would be in paint already. But being anel like I am I could not leave it like this.

Here are the tools I use the most for this and it makes it quick and easy. First is safty, Glasses, full face shield, hearing protection, dust mask, gloves (on my hands not in the pic), 4" cut off wheel, hammer, prybar/flat screw driver and pliers or vise grips also not shown.

I start by doing a rough cut about 1 1/2" in from the floor and down both sides to the pinch weld. Then I run the cut off wheel along the inside angle of the pinch weld so I can bend the rocker down.

Kevin
LFD inc.
Attached Images

Last edited by Rokcrln; 12-22-2007 at 02:26 PM.