The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-15-2016, 09:07 PM   #1
dmjlambert

puzzle -- tool box lid support

Hi, I hope some of you like a puzzle, because I have one that is making me wonder. I'm attaching photos of the beautiful tool box in the back of my 69 CST-10. I guessing the tool box was bought at roughly the same time as the truck when it was new.

Pic 1 - The tool box
Pic 2 - It has lid supports that are still there, but they just flop around and don't actually hold the lid up
Pic 3 - View from the inside, there is a channel attached to the lid, and it has a rectangular slot or hole that I believe the support would normally go into when the lid is closed, and the support would have some device attached that catches the edge of the slot.
Pic 4 - I found some devices in the toolbox that sure look to me like parts of the support
Pic 5 - The reason I think they belong to the support is how well the bent corners of the devices fit into the bent corners of the main support. There is some sort of plastic sleeve on both sides of the support.
Pic 6 - It looks to me if I figure out what holds the devices and orient them in a certain way, when I open the lid the device will snap into place and catch the lip of the channel and hold the lid open. And perhaps when I open the lid again a little higher, the device will fold a certain way to guide the support back into the slot in the channel, therefore allowing the lid to close.
Pic 7 - the driver's side support has the plastic sleeves in the V of the support. I'm not sure if they belong in this orientation, or somewhere else on the support as seen in picture 2, and I don't know what function those sleeves have.

Does anybody have a box with a similar support, and could give me a clue of how the parts fit together and whether I need to fabricate some parts or get a spring or something? Can anybody imagine what sort of part or latch I may add to make it work? I'm going to keep working at it to see if I can come up with something.
Attached Images

dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 11:56 AM   #2
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Re: puzzle -- tool box lid support

I have seen boxes like that. It has been quite a few years. The items that you have in your hand appear to be fencing items that hold wire to a steel post. the vee goes up against the post and the hooked ends are wrapped around the wire, on each side of the post. Did a lot of that in my youth. My recollection of the metal parts in the lids was that they were spring loaded, but maybe not. It does appear that the lid does have an angle iron for the support to sit against, while the lid is open.
Old 05-16-2016, 12:46 PM   #3
dmjlambert

Re: puzzle -- tool box lid support

Thanks very much for setting me straight on the fencing wire holders. So, they are not part of the lid support like I thought. I think I will figure out some system that uses a spring or add some piece of metal or wire to the support bracket. If I do something clever, I can make the support snap into place when I open the lid, and then retract back into the channel slot when I want to close the lid. I need to think on it.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote