The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-18-2009, 09:16 PM   #226
Sicmaro
Always wrenching!!

Re: For those waiting on Camaro caliper brackets....

I haven't read the whole thread..........

Will this brackets work with the LS1 camaro rear bpr calipers?? Ive got a set but the backing plates are the wrong pattern for the truck rear end.
19 RZR XP4 turbo Dynamix
56 Belair 5.3/4L60E swap in progress
Sicmaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 11:05 PM   #227
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by coast2coast View Post
OK, I feel like a noob asking this question, but can someone tell me what PBR calipers are? Last I knew PBR was Pabst Blue Ribbon
PBR is the manufacturer. They are made in Australia and are very good calipers at reasonable costs. Found on the rear of Camaro/Firebirds since I believe '89 (prior had the crappy style similar to the Caddy). I believe a lot of people call them LS1 style, since the LS1 ('98+) came standard with them. They were also used on the Corvettes before the Camaros.

Here is a picture of them

They ride in their own mounting cage, which can be easily adapted to many setups and they have a e-brake setup that actually works very well and stays adjusted. They are also aluminum for better heat disapation and less weight.
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 11:09 PM   #228
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicmaro View Post
I haven't read the whole thread..........

Will this brackets work with the LS1 camaro rear bpr calipers?? Ive got a set but the backing plates are the wrong pattern for the truck rear end.
You would use the mounting cage and calipers. The bracket that attaches to the axle is what Glock was making. They were setup to fix the housing mouting pattern and to offset the cage/calipers in the right location when using the Impala rotors. Your backing plates, if you made them to fit the axle housing, would place the caliper in the wrong location since the depth of the Impala rotors is deeper then the Camaros.
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
Old 03-18-2009, 11:17 PM   #229
coast2coast

Ahh, now I understand. Thanks chevy_mike.
coast2coast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 03:42 AM   #230
Sicmaro
Always wrenching!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy_mike View Post
You would use the mounting cage and calipers. The bracket that attaches to the axle is what Glock was making. They were setup to fix the housing mouting pattern and to offset the cage/calipers in the right location when using the Impala rotors. Your backing plates, if you made them to fit the axle housing, would place the caliper in the wrong location since the depth of the Impala rotors is deeper then the Camaros.

Copy that, yeah i figured that. I used them on my 72 camaro rear and had to space the backing plate out to line up right. so yes i can use his brackets and my ls1 calipers with impala rotors and be good to go??? I want a set of the brackets then!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this is a pic of my ls1 camaro rear brakes on my 72 camaro. these are the same calipers i would like to use with the brackets being sold here............
19 RZR XP4 turbo Dynamix
56 Belair 5.3/4L60E swap in progress

Last edited by Sicmaro; 03-19-2009 at 03:45 AM.
Sicmaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 10:28 AM   #231
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicmaro View Post
Copy that, yeah i figured that. I used them on my 72 camaro rear and had to space the backing plate out to line up right. so yes i can use his brackets and my ls1 calipers with impala rotors and be good to go??? I want a set of the brackets then!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this is a pic of my ls1 camaro rear brakes on my 72 camaro. these are the same calipers i would like to use with the brackets being sold here............
Now that I see your pic, I don't think this caliper setup will work with Glock's brackets. I have been away from Camaros for a number of years and now seeing yours, the LS1 style has the internal e-brake drum, not the ratchet piston style, like the pre-LS1 calipers. The ones I show in my picture is the style that Glock's brackets are made for. You don't use the "drum e-brake" area of the Impala rotors.

You might be able to use your style but you would not have any e-brake. That assumes the offset of the caliper/mounting cage and the cage mounting bolt spacing is the same. I don't know that since I have not had the LS1 rear brakes in my hands before, only the fronts.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:24 AM   #232
Shon

FYI, the pic below is of an LT1 brake caliper and not an LS1.

Quote:
PBR is the manufacturer. They are made in Australia and are very good calipers at reasonable costs. Found on the rear of Camaro/Firebirds since I believe '89 (prior had the crappy style similar to the Caddy). I believe a lot of people call them LS1 style, since the LS1 ('98+) came standard with them. They were also used on the Corvettes before the Camaros.

Here is a picture of them

They ride in their own mounting cage, which can be easily adapted to many setups and they have a e-brake setup that actually works very well and stays adjusted. They are also aluminum for better heat disapation and less weight.
Shon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 12:54 PM   #233
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shon View Post
FYI, the pic below is of an LT1 brake caliper and not an LS1.
Thanks for the clarification. I really don't use the LT1/LS1 naming as my '92 (and '89+) Camaro used the same setup. This was pre LT1. It will be good info for others.

Last edited by chevy_mike; 03-19-2009 at 12:55 PM.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:16 PM   #234
Shon

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification. I really don't use the LT1/LS1 naming as my '92 (and '89+) Camaro used the same setup. This was pre LT1. It will be good info for others.
I pretty much live/breathe the 4th gen F-body and a few other GM platforms....

This is a stock LT1 with bolt ons and PCM tuning; was the quickets bolt on LT1 in the country till last year....11.80 @113+.....

Now it sports a bolt on LS1 that went 11.59 in November.

Last edited by Shon; 03-19-2009 at 01:18 PM.
Shon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 09:09 AM   #235
nac593

In post #221, chevy-mike says the cadilac calipers suck. But why? what are the bad things about them?
nac593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 12:19 PM   #236
lks dcvn

bump again -

Anybody know what Glock has been up to or does somebody have a set that we could get dimensions from so somebody could build them?

Thanks!
lks dcvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 02:21 PM   #237
38chevyhotrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyblueoval View Post
I've got a set of Coy's C5's in 5x4.75 to match the C4 front suspension. I want to be able to rotate them so I've gotta figure out how to get the rear to the same pattern.
Can't you just use a set of rear discs from a z28 camaro from 87 or so? They are the 5 on 4.75.
I just scored a second hand set from ebay. Rotors and calipers and cables and brackets.
Those are 5 on 4.75, i have to re drill them to 5 on 5 and probably have to adjust the brackets.
Hope it works.... the only question i have is, will the rotor fit over the axle flange?????

http://www.arnoldscustoms.com
38chevyhotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 03:45 PM   #238
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by nac593 View Post
In post #221, chevy-mike says the cadilac calipers suck. But why? what are the bad things about them?
The two biggest problems with them is, the e-brake adjusters don't work very well and they will allow too much clearance between the pads and the rotors, which causes more pedal movement and don't apply as much brake pressure because the fronts lock up way before the rears. Second issue is the way they mount, they are more likely to bind and hang up and not work smoothly, especially as they get some miles on them.

It's an outdated design, that didn't work great when new. Add the fact they are cast iron, they add more unsprung weight which will effect how well the suspension works. For myself personally, I would rather have the stock drums then the Cadilac caliper setup.

Heck, I had a friend who did not ask me about brakes before he bought them for his Chevelle. He installed them, never got them to work right, even without driving on them, pulled them off and bought Baer brakes and could not be happier. It was a costly mistake for him.

Old 03-24-2009, 02:03 AM   #239
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by lks dcvn View Post
bump again -

Anybody know what Glock has been up to or does somebody have a set that we could get dimensions from so somebody could build them?

Thanks!
I sent him a PM last week and haven't heard back from him. Has anyone heard from him lately? IIRC his wife was having some medical issues....I hope all is well.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 08:17 PM   #240
babyblueoval

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38chevyhotrod View Post
Can't you just use a set of rear discs from a z28 camaro from 87 or so? They are the 5 on 4.75.
I just scored a second hand set from ebay. Rotors and calipers and cables and brackets.
Those are 5 on 4.75, i have to re drill them to 5 on 5 and probably have to adjust the brackets.
Hope it works.... the only question i have is, will the rotor fit over the axle flange?????
I was told it wouldn't work because the axle flanges are different sizes (bigger on the truck 12 bolt) and the offset of the rotors is too close to the wheels? I've got a set of the same Z28 calipers, rotors and brackets, plus a set of Glocks brackets for the Impala rotors but I'm not far enough along to test anything yet. I do know the rotor hats on the Impala's are much deeper than the Camaro's.

'71 Blazer-Porterbuilt Dropmember C4/LS1/6L80E
'57 VW beetle - Oct. 2006 Hot VW's pg. 87 - 350hp intercooled, turbocharged, EFI 2.3liter and 5spd in the works
'87 BMW 325i - daily driver
babyblueoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 12:31 PM   #241
Super73

I am making a set for my truck right now. Depending on how they come out, I will be paying the sponsorship fee and selling them Along with some other goodies. I had a set of LS1 calipers laying around, so that is what I am basing the backing plate on. My only concern is using them with a 15" wheel. I know when I had my LS1 Camaro, you would have to grind the caliper a little to fit a draglite. But I think it is more the face due to the off set of the wheel and the shape of the inside has less clearence.

I may also be posting up some other thngs like lower control arm relocation brackets or other things that I have made for these trucks. Right now with out a job, I have lots of time..
1/4---10.38 @ 126.97----9.24 @ 142.49
Super73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 09:32 PM   #242
chevydog66
GM ONLY BABY!!!

I would like to see the matching Camaro calipers that we a installing on the rear to match the front. Now I have Camaro calipers on the rear and stock calipers on the front. To me it doesn't match.

66 Chevelle Malibu 406ci, 573hp, 10.99@121mph
96 Chevy Silverado Z71
72 GMC 1500 Super Custom LS 6.0/4L65 on airride

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/707879...mc-c-k-pick-up
chevydog66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 10:04 PM   #243
babyblueoval

Well I will be running C4 calipers on the front so the rears match perfectly.
But I see your point. If I later to switch to C5 I'll have the same mis match situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevydog66 View Post
I would like to see the matching Camaro calipers that we a installing on the rear to match the front. Now I have Camaro calipers on the rear and stock calipers on the front. To me it doesn't match.

'71 Blazer-Porterbuilt Dropmember C4/LS1/6L80E
'57 VW beetle - Oct. 2006 Hot VW's pg. 87 - 350hp intercooled, turbocharged, EFI 2.3liter and 5spd in the works
'87 BMW 325i - daily driver
babyblueoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 09:29 AM   #244
CornDwg01

BUMP!
Has anyone heard from Glock lately?
CornDwg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 11:01 PM   #245
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornDwg01 View Post
BUMP!
Has anyone heard from Glock lately?
He hasn't been on the board for a little over a month now. I'm trying to find out what he intends to do with these brackets. If he doesn't want to make them anymore, I will get some going. I just don't want to take anything away from him since he designed the original ones.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 03:35 PM   #246
glock35ipsc
Next project: 1970 K10

Hey guys! Sorry for my long absence from the board. Yes, we were going through some medical issues with my wife. I think we finally have things under control, and everything is looking up.

At any rate, I do plan on running another batch of these, and I might even be able to start on them as early as next week. I need to go back through this thread and the other one and figure out how many peeps are interested so I can get a final number to make.

I'll try to get an update to everyone next week. Again, I am very sorry for not getting back to people. I see my PM box has a lot of messages in it, and I feel bad for not getting them. That's not like me to do that, but I haven't been logging on to see them.

1970 Chevy K10 LWB "Goldie" 350/TH350 next project!!
1981 Chevy C10 LWB 355/TH350 - My son's truck

LS SWAP FORUM! Tons of LS swap info here!
PLEASE CLICK HERE TO SUPPORT THE GREATEST BOARD ON THE NET!
CLICK HERE FOR THE FAQ INDEX by KRUE
glock35ipsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 04:51 PM   #247
bigarmzz

i read through most of this post, but may have missed something

will these work on the 10 bolt 81-87's as well? sorry if i missed that, also didnt see price

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock35ipsc View Post
Hey guys! Sorry for my long absence from the board. Yes, we were going through some medical issues with my wife. I think we finally have things under control, and everything is looking up.

At any rate, I do plan on running another batch of these, and I might even be able to start on them as early as next week. I need to go back through this thread and the other one and figure out how many peeps are interested so I can get a final number to make.

I'll try to get an update to everyone next week. Again, I am very sorry for not getting back to people. I see my PM box has a lot of messages in it, and I feel bad for not getting them. That's not like me to do that, but I haven't been logging on to see them.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:54 PM   #248
6772owner
Gearhead

Hey its ok, hope your wife is doing better, wish you two the best. Just let us know when you get up and running again.

Project C10 (my 72' C10 w/96' LT1, 700R4, bagged F&R, 18's (for now), Short/Fleet) -- SOLD!
Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=313644
6772owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 04:56 PM   #249
glock35ipsc
Next project: 1970 K10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigarmzz View Post
i read through most of this post, but may have missed something

will these work on the 10 bolt 81-87's as well? sorry if i missed that, also didnt see price
Yes.

The price should be the same, $115 shipped. I will probably offer lower pricing on kits minus nuts & bolts if folks want to do that.

And for those that might ask , I will be upgrading to vendor status soon.

1970 Chevy K10 LWB "Goldie" 350/TH350 next project!!
1981 Chevy C10 LWB 355/TH350 - My son's truck

LS SWAP FORUM! Tons of LS swap info here!
PLEASE CLICK HERE TO SUPPORT THE GREATEST BOARD ON THE NET!
CLICK HERE FOR THE FAQ INDEX by KRUE
glock35ipsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 05:17 PM   #250
CornDwg01

Thanks Glock. Family definately has to come first. Glad to hear all is well, and glad to hear your going to have some more brackets made up!
CornDwg01 is offline   Reply With Quote