The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current Classic GM Trucks Classifieds > WIW

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-07-2020, 02:25 PM   #1
tdangle

Complete 350 Worth?

Once I finish my new engine swap, I will have a complete stock 350 engine for sale. The only things that will not be included is water pump, accessories, exhaust manifolds. Included, starter, flexplate, fuel pump, quadrajet carb on stock manifold, HEI dist, air cleaner. Engine runs good does not smoke last time I ran compression tests ~ 145 to 155 all cylinders. I do not want it sitting in my garage taking up space.

1970 Custom Camper/C20 , GM Crate 350/7004R, Dana 60, factory AC
tdangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 02:50 PM   #2
truckster

Re: Complete 350 Worth?

Why no water pump? Hopefully you're not putting a used water pump on a new engine...
Old 02-07-2020, 03:12 PM   #3
External

What year truck did it come off of?
What else do you know about it?
Such as how long did you have it, did you drive it much and so on.

I would put it in the crate your new one came in and save it incase you ever sell your truck
And the buyer wants it. Might fetch you more money later in life.
Old 02-07-2020, 05:28 PM   #4
tdangle

I am still debating on the water pump. I'ts only a year or so old and a short pump which is less common than a long pump. The accessories (AC, alt, PS) all are matched to the type of water pump you have and I'm keeping the accessories to be transplanted to the new engine.

As far as history: My folks bought the truck (1970 C20) brand new. I know they had the engine rebuilt once, but I really don't know when or how many miles are on it. I do know the truck sat for about 10 years in my garage prior to me starting work on it about 5 years ago. I drive it at least once a week probably putting 300 to 400 miles a month on it.

I have no interest in keeping it as I don't intend to ever sell it The original engine really doesn't add to it's value unless it is 100% stock and besides there is no way to prove original engine anyway as there is no such thing as numbers matching for our trucks. (no vin on the engine or trans)

Old 02-07-2020, 05:53 PM   #5
swb4me

With the world crazy about the LS, used 350s don't bring near what they used to. I've been buying used 350's for $300-$500 the last few years. I'll pay a bit more if it's complete and I can hear it, see/hear it run before it's pulled and comes with carb, distributor, etc. You can buy a rebuilt long block from jegs/summit for $1600 and a new gm long block for $2132. Most people won't pay more than about half that for a used motor.
swb4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 06:10 PM   #6
randy500
Account Suspended

Original engines with correct suffix code for these trucks can be very valuable. Its worth up to or around $1000 to the right person on this forum or somebody that wants the correct engine locally. Ive shipped a few engine through fastenal for about $250 range, 1500 to 2000 miles away.
randy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 06:17 PM   #7
randy500
Account Suspended

There is such a thing as matching numbers truck if you have the protectoplate. Dont let these fools on here make you believe these trucks can't be matching numbers. Thats one of the stupidest myths perpetuated on this site.

A true matching numbers GM vehicle has a protecto plate which contains the VIN, the engine build factory and date stamped into it.
Cars just have a the addition of a partial vin stamped on the block too.

Matching numbers is not just the vin code on the engine, it includes the associated paperwork like the protecto plate and casting numbers and dates.
Old 02-07-2020, 07:27 PM   #8
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
I bet less than 5% of the trucks on this board have a Protect-o-Plate and less than 25% have the original engine, so as far as I'm concerned finding an original numbers matching truck after 50 years is akin to the proverbial needle in the haystack. A few probably exist but for all intent and purpose they are pretty much non existant. Protect-o-Plates get scrapped quite regularly because they are rusted away from laying in the leaky glove box or kicked under the seat. A lot of people see no value to them so pitch them. The way I see it is that even if it is a matching numbers vehicle it doesn't add much as far as value unless it is pretty much a pristine truck to start with, or has a lot of factory options.

Just my 2¢ worth....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 07:41 PM   #9
tdangle

This is the original engine and I do have the protectoplate since this was my family's truck since new. Since I'm not going to sell, I'm not concerned about its possible value if perfect in a stock condition.

Those long blocks from GM are not only drying up but going up in price. The only one now that is the base 195 hp at $2200 and next step up is $2800. The L31 is not currently available and you can bet if and when it becomes available it will be more that the $2200 it was last year. I know, I tried to buy one. I ended up with a way more $ package than I had wanted, but taking into consideration all the extras and stuff that I really shouldn't transfer, and needed to buy, the engine I purchased wasn't that bad, (just a shock to my bank account). I will be posting a install thread in the next few weeks. Should be up and running by end of the month.

Old 02-07-2020, 07:43 PM   #10
tdangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy500 View Post
There is such a thing as matching numbers truck if you have the protectoplate. Dont let these fools on here make you believe these trucks can't be matching numbers. Thats one of the stupidest myths perpetuated on this site.

A true matching numbers GM vehicle has a protecto plate which contains the VIN, the engine build factory and date stamped into it.
Cars just have a the addition of a partial vin stamped on the block too.

Matching numbers is not just the vin code on the engine, it includes the associated paperwork like the protecto plate and casting numbers and dates.
Interesting, I'm going to look at the protectoplate and see what is on it. I'll let you know.

Old 02-07-2020, 07:46 PM   #11
tdangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
Why no water pump? Hopefully you're not putting a used water pump on a new engine...
I decided to get a brand new ACDelco pump for my new engine. Hopefully I'm done collecting parts.

Old 02-07-2020, 08:36 PM   #12
swb4me

Since it's the original, I'd keep it. You never what the future will bring. I put my spare engines in cheap, less than $30, engine cradles with wheels. This makes them easy to move around and keeps you from tripping over them constantly.
swb4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 08:50 PM   #13
truckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdangle View Post
I decided to get a brand new ACDelco pump for my new engine. Hopefully I'm done collecting parts.
I think that's a wise decision. Good luck with the new engine.
Old 02-07-2020, 09:20 PM   #14
External

Well, I'm super happy to hear about the protector plate.
That just made up my mind about buying that new engine or rebuilding the original I have in my truck. Exciting
Old 02-07-2020, 09:25 PM   #15
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-
I bet less than 5% of the trucks on this board have a Protect-o-Plate and less than 25% have the original engine, so as far as I'm concerned finding an original numbers matching truck after 50 years is akin to the proverbial needle in the haystack. A few probably exist but for all intent and purpose they are pretty much non existant. Protect-o-Plates get scrapped quite regularly because they are rusted away from laying in the leaky glove box or kicked under the seat. A lot of people see no value to them so pitch them. The way I see it is that even if it is a matching numbers vehicle it doesn't add much as far as value unless it is pretty much a pristine truck to start with, or has a lot of factory options.

Just my 2¢ worth....

LockDoc
Amen, well said!! So.....if production date is right and coded for a truck does not mean it's the engine it was born with. Not like my Chevelle that shows it was born in the car.....thus true numbers matching.

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 03:10 AM   #16
randy500
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 View Post
Amen, well said!! So.....if production date is right and coded for a truck does not mean it's the engine it was born with. Not like my Chevelle that shows it was born in the car.....thus true numbers matching.
If you don't have the protecto plate its just a partial numbers match, which is typical of most gm cars of the era. The nice cars that are truly numbers match have protecto plates, build sheets and all date codes appropriate for build date, not to mention trans code and rear end code corresponding to the build sheet. And many other components.
With so many of these trucks getting high 5 figure and 6 figure prices, high optioned trucks with all the paper are valuable and they can be numbers matched.
The people that say they cant be numbers match don't understand what numbers match means. Its not just a partial vin on the block.
Old 02-08-2020, 05:35 PM   #17
70cst

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-

Just my 2¢ worth....

LockDoc
I am one of the 5% and 25% but I agree with you ... LockDoc.

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 08:03 PM   #18
REDROCKER652002

My son's 69 has a 350 in it, I think. But it is tired and beat up. If you decide to sell, and feel compassion for an 18yo who is still learning, he might be interested. But, he does not have a ton of cash, or even a half ton LOL. Anyway, if you decide to sell, and it is a price he can afford, let me know. RR
REDROCKER652002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 08:30 PM   #19
rsavage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdangle View Post
I am still debating on the water pump. I'ts only a year or so old and a short pump which is less common than a long pump. The accessories (AC, alt, PS) all are matched to the type of water pump you have and I'm keeping the accessories to be transplanted to the new engine.

As far as history: My folks bought the truck (1970 C20) brand new. I know they had the engine rebuilt once, but I really don't know when or how many miles are on it. I do know the truck sat for about 10 years in my garage prior to me starting work on it about 5 years ago. I drive it at least once a week probably putting 300 to 400 miles a month on it.

I have no interest in keeping it as I don't intend to ever sell it The original engine really doesn't add to it's value unless it is 100% stock and besides there is no way to prove original engine anyway as there is no such thing as numbers matching for our trucks. (no vin on the engine or trans)
Your original question was what is the 350 worth. If you can sell it running and still in the truck it will probably bring more than when it is pulled and can't be started. The fact that it has been rebuilt already can be problematic to some potential purchasers as unless you pull a head and mic the bore, you won't know how much it was bored on the rebuild. I paid $200 for a 4 bolt main 350 that the seller claimed had never been rebuilt. It turned out that it was a good block with a standard bore. During my build it was bored .030 to clean it up. Blocks can be a crap shoot and virgin 4 bolt main 350 blocks are getting harder to find. The engine builder who does my short blocks was telling me that 1/2 of all the 400 small blocks people bring in for rebuilding are cracked and junk. All that being said, If it runs good and a buyer can see/hear it run, I'd guess it would be worth $5-600. If it is out, I would guess $2-300 because the purchaser is taking a chance.
2021 Durango RT 5.7
rsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 12:37 AM   #20
franken

I think I got 350 for a 454 I sold about a year ago. I doubt a 350 is going to bring much. Hopefully this opinion doesn't upset folks too much but it's a bit of a reality check.
Put it on whatever for sale site at 500 and see what offers come.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 05:14 PM   #21
tdangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by franken View Post
I think I got 350 for a 454 I sold about a year ago. I doubt a 350 is going to bring much. Hopefully this opinion doesn't upset folks too much but it's a bit of a reality check.
Put it on whatever for sale site at 500 and see what offers come.
That’s what I’m planing to do. It’s worth what I get for it

Old 02-09-2020, 11:03 PM   #22
flashed

I pay $5 to $600 each for good running 350s here in Ga , they are getting harder to find . I know a guy that does LS Swaps and try to buy the ones he knows are good .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 04:35 AM   #23
82Diesel

Here in MI, Since the LS Swap craze happened a few yrs ago Be Lucky if you can get $600 for a Mildly Built 350... Most i see & the ones i sold went for $200-300 Complete
82Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote