The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-27-2015, 07:29 PM   #1
BCOWANWHEELS

70 c-10 drum brake wheel cylinder r&r

I,ve never worked on drum front brakes on these old trucks so I need a little tutoring please. I,ve got the hub/drum off,all brake shoe hardware off , brake line loose from hard line and "c" clip off and I,d like to install new front wheel cylinders on both sides. do I have to remove the backing plate to get to the back bolts or what ? if so while I have them off I,am going to sand blast my backing plates and paint em while there off. lastly can I swap over to the 2 1/2" brake shoes and matching drums while I,am in there ? I have standard duty brakes now.
thanks
bob
I BELIEVE IN JOHN 3:16

Last edited by BCOWANWHEELS; 11-27-2015 at 07:58 PM.
BCOWANWHEELS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 09:19 PM   #2
BCOWANWHEELS

Re: 70 c-10 drum brake wheel cylinder r&r

well got in deep today on my front brakes, to remove the wheel cylinder you have to remove the backing plate, theres 2 long bolts at the center bottom that need to come out and the big brake shoe center pivot bolt at the top has to come out. its 1 1/8" deep well socket to remove I highly suggest 6 point and 2 ft breaker bar. there is a locking bend over tab that needs to have to tab bent down before socket will fit on pivot bolt. this is a safety measure I bet. the rubber line can stay on until you get backing plate off as wheel cylinder will come out with line attached once backing plate is off. since your replacing the wheel cylinder go ahead and replace the rubber line also, there 10.00 each at oriellys. you,ll need a deep well 3/4 for outside backing plate and shallow well for inside lower bolts. it helps to turn steering right,remove 1 bolt then left to remove 2nd bolt as it gives you more room on the backside for socket clearance . now off to sand blaster with drums and backing plates . more to come . its not that bad of job so don't fret it.
Old 11-28-2015, 10:21 PM   #3
Boog
laying low

Some times you just have to dive in there and make your own way, eh Bob?
Really we all should have a factory service manual for things like this.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 10:24 PM   #4
BCOWANWHEELS

yea, I can see why gm left drum front brakes if this was there best shot at it. I wasn't impressed with the design from the start. and getting to the adjuster from the drum side ????????????? never in my days have I seen such a poor design.
Old 01-19-2018, 06:41 PM   #5
mikes c10

well got in deep today on my front brakes, to remove the wheel cylinder you have to remove the backing plate, theres 2 long bolts at the center bottom that need to come out and the big brake shoe center pivot bolt at the top has to come out. its 1 1/8" deep well socket to remove I highly suggest 6 point and 2 ft breaker bar. there is a locking bend over tab that needs to have to tab bent down before socket will fit on pivot bolt. this is a safety measure I bet. the rubber line can stay on until you get backing plate off as wheel cylinder will come out with line attached once backing plate is off. since your replacing the wheel cylinder go ahead and replace the rubber line also, there 10.00 each at oriellys. you,ll need a deep well 3/4 for outside backing plate and shallow well for inside lower bolts. it helps to turn steering right,remove 1 bolt then left to remove 2nd bolt as it gives you more room on the backside for socket clearance . now off to sand blaster with drums and backing plates . more to come . its not that bad of job so don't fret it.

Thanks for this post from a couple years ago , just followed your lead , you were spot on ! Tks ! My 1970 C10 longbed got a little closer to rolling again ! Mike
mikes c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 08:06 PM   #6
demian5

Yeah this is good, most GM front drum brakes from 60s and 70s are like this.
1983 K2500 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2
Instagram: C10sofOC
demian5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 02:11 PM   #7
yuccales

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes c10 View Post
Thanks for this post from a couple years ago , just followed your lead , you were spot on ! Tks ! My 1970 C10 longbed got a little closer to rolling again ! Mike
Mike, welcome to the site. Tons of great info here. Don't forget to post some pics of your rig!
yuccales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 08:20 AM   #8
mikes c10

Thanks Yuccales ,

Always wanted an old beater truck , so went out and found a 1970 C10 fleetside longbed. Its a bucket of rust held together with bondo , but i think i can bring it back to life. I`m not a "truck" guy , so im learning as i go.

Digging in to the brakes now , replacing drums ,shoes ,wheel cylinders and all hardware. I think im headed to the "ratrod" look , kinda cool looking but definitly not a true restoration. Anyway , all new to me ,but its fun.

Heres a few pics. ( took a 12 ton puller to get those back drums off ! )
Attached Images

mikes c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 11:19 AM   #9
yuccales

Don't look to bad for an "old beater truck". They are fun to work on, and you will never again say "I have nothing to do today!"
yuccales is offline   Reply With Quote