The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-06-2002, 06:52 PM   #1
MandarinSixSeven
Seasonal Poster

Missing and Backfiring like crazy

Well i got my new carb and intake on, new plugs and wires...have it timed to 13degrees...and it is still missing like mad, never did this before, ive tried a couple different baseplate gaskets for the carb, still nothing. My buddy took the carb apart and the bowls were filled with crap, like shop dust and stuff and this is supposed to be a newly rebuilt carb, so i took it back and they put it on the scope and said i have 4 cylinders dead, but that makes no sense...my friend who took it apart said that it is most likely the idle jets and idle chambers are clogged with junk, which kinda makes sense to me, since after about 1600 rpm it smooths out. Hmm, what do you guys suggest i do, im gonna take it back tommorrow and get them to try a different carb to make sure, but im all outta ideas and patience
Kelowna BC, Canada
Member of DTPW
MandarinSixSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2002, 07:05 PM   #2
Zkast
Account Suspended

Sounds like you have one booster that is shut down. It wont allow fuel to flow until there is enough vacuum/flow to overcome the restriction. More than likely has trash in the main jet well/tube/booster venturi.

The thing to have them check to make 100% sure, is to see if all 4 cylinders are fed from the same side of the intake (@ the carb)
Zkast is offline   Reply With Quote