The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-13-2019, 08:52 PM   #26
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Vent window repair

-
Well I bet you are glad that job is done. Looks good.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 09:17 PM   #27
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: Vent window repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-
Well I bet you are glad that job is done. Looks good.

LockDoc
Yes sir! I was very happy with how it turned out. I had to use the small washers on a couple of them but I stacked them on the rivet stem but left just enough to get a good bit. It worked just fine.Now to get it all installed on the door and start on the engine wiring so I can get the front end reinstalled.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 06:42 PM   #28
ImNoSpaz

A small thing that made installing the new rubber a lot easier was cutting a piece of brake line tubing about 3" long. Then I started bending it at the middle until it matched the curve of the rubber at the bottom. Then stuck it inside the rubber as if it were the glass, then pushed the rubber as far in the channel I could, then used a c clamp to push it home. Peened the edges just a tad then left it there until the rest was in and then let it sit in a warm house overnight so it all relaxed. Took the clamp off and it stayed put.

The inner rivet at the triangle part (2 rivets next to each other) is the hardest. 2 person job. I cut a piece of plate to a pretty sharp angle. Put that in a vice at an angle where when you sat the vent window on top of it, you would be hammering straight down. The tip of the plate would slip back far enough to hold the rivet.

I learned the hard way........did both mine 2 times.
ImNoSpaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 10:13 PM   #29
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Wish I had seen this threads earlier. I replaced the channel fuzzies and have a tip. I used a regular pop rivet gun but I took a piece of copper tubing and cut a short piece off to use to space the anvil of the rivet tool out of the channel. I "think" I used 1/8 tubing just big enough to fit over the pin of the rivets. I tried the washers but got frustrated before I put the second rivet in.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 12:37 AM   #30
dmjlambert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNoSpaz View Post
The inner rivet at the triangle part (2 rivets next to each other) is the hardest. 2 person job. I cut a piece of plate to a pretty sharp angle. Put that in a vice at an angle where when you sat the vent window on top of it, you would be hammering straight down. The tip of the plate would slip back far enough to hold the rivet.
This is what I was wishing to do. I bought from eBay a 4" x 8" x 1/4" thick HRO steel plate that I held in a vice to be in back of the rivets in the channel, while using the rivet punch and hammer on the rivet. The plate is square, so it was not useful for this place on the vent window. If I had the plate cut at an angle it would have been more useful. I don't know how to cut a thick plate like that, what tool is the correct tool for doing that cut?
dmjlambert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 10:43 AM   #31
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Vent window repair

I ended up putting very small washers on the stem of the rivets so the head of the gun would not have to go inside the channel. It seems to have done the trick.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote