The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-02-2009, 07:58 PM   #26
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Re: License Plate Restore

This has to be the shortest thread aver to get resurrected after 7 years....Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 06:23 AM   #27
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

This thread is timely. I got a few minutes yesterday and pulled my old 72 Texas Farm Truck license plates off my beater. I'm in the middle of powdercoating them this weekend. Green letters, white background, and a coat of clear powder on top of all of it. Should be durable.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:59 AM   #28
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

That's a good idea. I have a buncha old AR plates, and a few of them are truck plates. In Arkansas, truck plates ran from July 1 of the issue year, until June 30 of the following year. In '68, Arkansas started producing "permanent" plates that had three letters/three numbers and no specific year. So, my '69 truck can't get a specific year Arkansas plate....hence the Arizona plate that I had in AZ in '69-71.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 03:26 PM   #29
tim21391

anybody done this themselves..what were the steps they used
2013 Mustang V6/6speed w/300 ponies
I may be 23, but i sure do knows 67-72s are sexy!
Its not MPG its smiles per gallon!
build started 11/25/08
build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=2993796
tim21391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:52 AM   #30
jfaithbass

I did aplate myself for my '30 AA ford recently.... found anold can of spray paint in the local mom and pop hardware store that was right on the background color and picked up some enamel for the letters....
bead blasted the plate and hammered out the dents.. then primed, painted the yellow.... and grabbed a brush for the letters and took my time.. the red enamel flowed nice and the brush strokes laid right down... total cost about $8 and a couple hours of time....Name:  plate2.jpg
Views: 476
Size:  62.6 KB

Name:  plate.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  68.9 KB
Old 04-07-2009, 10:46 AM   #31
SacramentoJoe
Always Fixing Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfaithbass View Post
I did aplate myself for my '30 AA ford recently.... found anold can of spray paint in the local mom and pop hardware store that was right on the background color and picked up some enamel for the letters....
bead blasted the plate and hammered out the dents.. then primed, painted the yellow.... and grabbed a brush for the letters and took my time.. the red enamel flowed nice and the brush strokes laid right down... total cost about $8 and a couple hours of time
That is exactly how i did mine, except I hand sanded instead of bead blasting. They go well with the rattle-canned bumpers and grill. I wasn't even a member seven years ago!

GMC
Attached Images

SacramentoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 11:01 AM   #32
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Spending 8 bucks is a lot cheaper than the 70-100 bucks that the ALPCA restorers want to charge. Plus, you got braggin' rights!

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 11:10 AM   #33
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevLoRay View Post
Spending 8 bucks is a lot cheaper than the 70-100 bucks that the ALPCA restorers want to charge. Plus, you got braggin' rights!
x 2. After seeing the results, I am going to do this myself
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 12:23 AM   #34
BT Classics

I have restored a few plates. Make sure your colors are as close as possible to original. Many autobody supply stores can color match (more money for auto paint) but if you have someone good at a hardware store paint counter, they can make some custom tinted pints. (They might not be able to shake them - but you can by hand and then check for color)

Depending on your DMV and the person you get, they can give you a hard time for 'restored' plates - especially if the colors are not original. Some states have laws and regulations regarding license plates. If you do a nice job, you could pass them off as NOS if questioned. Obvious repaints in non-original colors will be a red flag, especially metallics, more than 2 colors, pinstriping, extra decals or graphics, naked lady 'Statue of Liberty', etc.

In NY, to use old plates on a classic car, the plate number cant be in use on any motor vehicle, must be the correct issued year for that car (with correct year in stamped, tag or sticker - as original), in the correct number for that year (1 plate or pair - as original issued), and in original legible condition. Some states the plate stays with the car when transfered ; some plates stay with the person and transfer car to car ; some you can use any year plate.
BT Classics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 12:58 PM   #35
romarti0825

How do I get me some black plates?
Old 04-08-2009, 01:05 PM   #36
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by romarti0825 View Post
How do I get me some black plates?
You can find them on E-bay and Pomona swap meet. Be careful though...you need to make sure the plates are cleared from the DMV. The dude at pomona did not know if his were, and had a bad attitude to boot, so I did not buy any from him. You need to make sure the sequence of letters/numbers is correct for your truck (they are different for 1/2, 3/4 and 1 ton) You also will not be allowed to use them on anything 72 and newer. I think it is not worth the hassle and $$

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
Old 04-08-2009, 01:23 PM   #37
Rattle Can Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by C/10 King View Post
Funny you should mention it, she just painted some the other day. And some frames too. "it's nice to have a wife that does nails for a living"

Here are the license plates that the C/!0 King's wife painted for me.
Attached Images

Rattle Can Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 10:26 PM   #38
pritch

I had to make a new plate one time. Years ago, there was this UHP trooper around here that just hated me. I never knew why, but he would pull me over every single time he saw me. I had an old '67 Trazer. This once, he pulled me over and when he came up to the window first thing out of his pie-hole was "Where's your front licence plate?"

"It's right there on my front bumper."

He walked back to the front of my truck and I could just see the red rising up his face. "Where the hell is your front bumper?" He was really hollering by then.

"How would I know-it fell off years ago"

Sure enough, I got a ticket for no plate and no front bumper. So I read the law and got the barest minimum of a chunk of metal for a bumper, then I took my rear plate and made a little form and put the plate in it and poured some concrete on it. After it cured for a couple days, I took an old plate and pounded it out flat then carefully hammered it into the mold. Utah's plates at the time were just a basic white with black digits so it was easy to get close. Then off to see the Judge. We still had a Justice of the Peace back then, and his day job was owning the local laundermat. Laundermat Court was quite a tradition in our town. He was the kinda Judge that if you got to BSing with him and took him cash money, most times tickets wouldn't really show up on our records. Well, since all I had was basicly a fix-it ticket, and the windows of the laundermat were kind of fogged up, 'ol Reed just gave my truck a quick look out the window, saw my bumper and plate and said "Ten bucks". Good enough.
Ol' Green

Last edited by pritch; 04-08-2009 at 10:27 PM.
pritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 11:57 PM   #39
Puropedo
Account Suspended

Hey Leddzepp, do you remember how much the guy at pomona was asking for a black/yellow Cali set of plates?
Puropedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 02:37 AM   #40
longhorn70gmc

My 70 Longhorn and c/10 both have black and yellow numbered plates. I have a blue set in a box too. Old thread but it came back strong. Pomona is a darn good place to start to look for plate reproducers. They show up all over the Cali shows.

1970 GMC Sierra Grande 402/TH400
(Longhorn)14 years and counting rebuild!
1975 (Build) Chevrolet SWB 4X4 350 SB Lifted 6 inches
1970 Ford F250 Ranger 390 BB
2010 Ford Super Duty F250 XLT W/4 inch lift kit and Pro Comp Tires
Hub Cap Freak!
I need another truck like I need another hole in the head!
I'M IN THE MARKET...AS IT WERE!
longhorn70gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 10:51 AM   #41
leddzepp

Puropedo- I think he wanted $200 for a set of decent black/gold plates. They were not repros, they were originals. Some were pretty beat up, others were in good shape, but all needed restoring to look new. He also had blue/gold plates, but to my knowledge, the DMV is NOT allowing you to use those on the '72 newer vehicles (unless it happens to be original to that vehicle!) I have a few sets of old blue/golds, and I am too scared to take them in and see, for fear of them confiscating them from me! I was going to research this further via phone and internet, but have been too busy lately.

There is a dude a few blocks over with a '65 'stang that has black/gold plates...and they have got to be repros, they just do not look original. The numbers are squared off, not round. I did run across a website where a guy was selling black/gold plates that were new repros (with squared off numbers), and he claimed you could use them on a pre-72 vehicles due to a change in the DMV laws. I knew you could do it with original, cleared plates...but I was not aware that you could put aftermarket ones on?? I do not remember the website addy (came up on google I think) but he was located in Calif, and said the DMV accepted his repros. I was still skeptical, but after seeing this dude's stang, it might be true. But again, they just don't look quite right in my opinion.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
Old 04-09-2009, 11:18 AM   #42
Puropedo
Account Suspended

Im pretty sure repro plates are illegal here in Cali. Usually u can get away with it though. I have 4 sets of black/yellow plates that I have collected over time, didnt have an idea they were going for so much. Thanks for the info Leddzepp.

Last edited by Puropedo; 04-09-2009 at 11:19 AM.
Puropedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 11:36 AM   #43
chrislehr
Engine n00b

Man, I might have to pick up a few effed up ones next swap meet and see where my skills are at on this. Seems like a decent way to make money and kill time having some fun in the garage.
chrislehr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 01:59 PM   #44
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puropedo View Post
Im pretty sure repro plates are illegal here in Cali. Usually u can get away with it though. I have 4 sets of black/yellow plates that I have collected over time, didnt have an idea they were going for so much. Thanks for the info Leddzepp.
No problem...don't get too excited though. He was asking $200....I didn't see anyone buying them

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
Old 04-09-2009, 02:57 PM   #45
So.Cal.Super
It'll Buff Out!

Hey guys this might help for CA

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d03/vc5004_1.htm

if I am reading that right we can use year correct plates up to 72, but then again I don't speak law.

I want to redo my plates and am thinking of giving it a try I am just having a hard time finding the correct blue since I don't want to color match faded blue.

Become a Supporting Member
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

Man Card Rules
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=634550

72 Chevy Cheyenne Super 400 LWB
So.Cal.Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 03:37 PM   #46
42corsair

Quote:
Originally Posted by So.Cal.Super View Post
Hey guys this might help for CA

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d03/vc5004_1.htm

if I am reading that right we can use year correct plates up to 72, but then again I don't speak law.

I want to redo my plates and am thinking of giving it a try I am just having a hard time finding the correct blue since I don't want to color match faded blue.
So.. has anyone here put a set of BLACK plates on 72 and gone through the DMV to do it without hassle? I'd love to put black plates on my truck!
42corsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 04:18 PM   #47
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42corsair View Post
So.. has anyone here put a set of BLACK plates on 72 and gone through the DMV to do it without hassle? I'd love to put black plates on my truck!
I have never seen a 72 with black plates. 71 was the last year that they were used, and the DMV will not allow you to use them on anything newer than 71.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
Old 04-09-2009, 04:29 PM   #48
So.Cal.Super
It'll Buff Out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
I have never seen a 72 with black plates. 71 was the last year that they were used, and the DMV will not allow you to use them on anything newer than 71.
Right, I don't think they were meaning it that way, I think they are saying you can use year correct up to 1972 for trucks. which would make them (1972) blue.

again I don't speak law and I don't know about everyone else but I always get a different answer from the DMV
I just found this link yesterday maybe someone can use it to find out.

Become a Supporting Member
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

Man Card Rules
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=634550

72 Chevy Cheyenne Super 400 LWB

Last edited by So.Cal.Super; 04-09-2009 at 04:30 PM. Reason: addedd more info
So.Cal.Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 05:11 PM   #49
42corsair

Quote:
Originally Posted by So.Cal.Super View Post
Right, I don't think they were meaning it that way, I think they are saying you can use year correct up to 1972 for trucks. which would make them (1972) blue.

again I don't speak law and I don't know about everyone else but I always get a different answer from the DMV
I just found this link yesterday maybe someone can use it to find out.
This line:

"The department may consult with an organization of old car hobbyists in determining whether the date of year of the license plate corresponds to the model-year date when the vehicle was manufactured."

made me think that if you convinced someone that black was the corresponding plate for your vehicle, you might get away with it. But who knows - maybe they have a tickler on their screen that tells them the year info.
42corsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 05:28 PM   #50
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42corsair View Post
This line:

"The department may consult with an organization of old car hobbyists in determining whether the date of year of the license plate corresponds to the model-year date when the vehicle was manufactured."

made me think that if you convinced someone that black was the corresponding plate for your vehicle, you might get away with it. But who knows - maybe they have a tickler on their screen that tells them the year info.
You can always try, you never know. As has been pointed out by another member, go to 3 different DMV's, and you will get 3 different answers. I lucked out when registering my 3/4 ton truck. The gal putting in info did not put it in as a commercial vehicle, so my registration is actually less than I pay for my 1/2 ton

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man