The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-14-2019, 08:07 AM   #26
72c20customcamper

Re: Interesting conversations...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHWAY BY THE SEA View Post
How much did you take home in "tips"?
Should have put a tip jar out.
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 08:38 AM   #27
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesmigletz View Post
My wife and I were selling parts at a swap meet last Spring, and a guy asked what I wanted for my 67. I told him it wasn't for sale. He offered me $750, with a straight face, for my factory short bed with buddy buckets, granted my truck isn't pretty, but there's zero rust through on the truck. I told him no. He came back later and offered my wife $1200 for it while I was out walking around...
The guy was a gold chainer and reminded me of the slimy d-bags that knock on your door trying to low ball you on your cars.
He was the slimy d-bag that stops at vendor's spaces trying to low ball you on your cars. A guy like that needs to hear, "Sounds like you need to go out and find yourself a junker and fix it up like I did".

Many seem to think swap meets are the place to buy parts/vehicles cheap to sell for top money online. It's not a flea market and people try the buy low/sell high elsewhere thing there, when way before the internet they have been mixed with people unloading junk (like a yard sale) and people setting up a weekend antique shop with nice things going for what they are worth. "This ain't no yard sale" is something I've said to lowballers. "Catch the vendors at the end and they'll about give the parts away because they don't want to carry it home". Yeah right. "I was so glad a guy walked up and wanted this N.O.S. set of upper & lower side trim I about gave it to him. I was about to stuff the trash can with it"

Quote:
Originally Posted by richards72chevy View Post
I tell them that there is a ton of them at the local scrap yard for sale complete and cheap and there is.They usually give me a funny look after that.What gets me is when someone post a picture of an old beat up 4 door 66 biscayne on Facebook instagram you tube etc.Then people start saying crap like who ever is letting that car rot can go to hell and all this other crap.Then you see the road kill guys who pulled a rotten buick out of the thorns and people complain about how stupid they are for that.
I can't last 5 minutes on Facebook truck pages w/o wanting to slap somebody and I'm a peaceful guy. I find very little peace there.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 12:14 PM   #28
yuccales

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesmigletz View Post
The guy was a gold chainer and reminded me of the slimy d-bags that knock on your door trying to low ball you on your cars.
That is darn funny!
yuccales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 02:05 PM   #29
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

I was working on my '68 Skylark one day and a guy driving by wanted to know if my son's '70 Dart was for sale. I said, "Sure, I'll take $6000 for it". Guy looked like I had kicked his puppy and said, "That's too much!" I told him if he's going drive down the street asking if a car is for sale, he's going to pay good money for it.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 02:11 PM   #30
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Not once has someone offered to buy either of my trucks. I only hear "cool truck" and "if you ever want to sell it".
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 02:42 PM   #31
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by richards72chevy View Post
I tell them that there is a ton of them at the local scrap yard for sale complete and cheap and there is.They usually give me a funny look after that.What gets me is when someone post a picture of an old beat up 4 door 66 biscayne on Facebook instagram you tube etc.Then people start saying crap like who ever is letting that car rot can go to hell and all this other crap.Then you see the road kill guys who pulled a rotten buick out of the thorns and people complain about how stupid they are for that.
This car was pulled out of an apple orchard in crates.

We had an opportunity to buy it for $3000 and said "no".

Last sold for $875,000.

K
Attached Images

1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 09:24 PM   #32
mygmctruck1

My trucks not on the road yet but I do have a restored 69 Mach 1 I drive often.
I was out with it on the 4th at a park with my wife. Some guy drove up to me as I was loading our stuff , he said have you driven it enough yet ? I said probably not , then he ask how much ? I was kidding and said $50,000 as I was offered that a couple yrs ago. He said if you’ll wait 5 minutes i’ll Be right back with a deposit to hold it until bank opens Monday ! I was floored , the problem is , I gave the car to my wife as a wedding gift , so I had no right to sell it. I told the guy that and he then ask my wife if she would take the 50,000 ? She calmly said that’s a lot of money but no thank you i’m Giving it to our son in a few years.
I can tell you right now , yrs ago when I was some what poor . The car would be gone.
mygmctruck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 09:51 PM   #33
dmjlambert

I periodically have the same conversation matthew.mcmullin experienced, except then end of the conversation is usually friendly. Insert my price here for my truck is usually about $12K, and once I get my A/C going it will probably go up to $15K. The way I look at it is $15K is not a bad price for a good working truck. You know 2010 and later model new and used truck prices are much higher than that, especially if you consider repairing stuff which is much more expensive on the newer trucks, and the cool factor that only my truck has.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 09:58 PM   #34
flashed

I used to have people asking if mine were for sale and I always said no , never talked numbers . Now I would consider selling a few .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 10:05 PM   #35
dmjlambert

Quote:
Originally Posted by mygmctruck1 View Post
...I was kidding and said $50,000 as I was offered that a couple yrs ago. He said if you’ll wait 5 minutes i’ll Be right back ...
Something to keep in mind regarding your "make me sell it price" is there are more people than you think that have big money, and I'm talking about the kind of people who wouldn't even care about the difference between $1K and $110K, they wouldn't even feel it on their bottom line either way. So, make sure you quote a high enough price to get another truck and bring it up to the level of rebuild that makes you happy and that turns your emotional loss into a smile on your face. That is the formula I use to calculate the price I quote.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 10:36 PM   #36
HIGHWAY BY THE SEA

When my 68 stepside was at the mechanic's shop for an extended period, a man came to the shop and was marveling about what good shape it was in and asked the mechanic if it was for sale. The mechanic told him it was for sale (knowing that this eager beaver did not have a pot to pee in) and the man got excited and asked the price. The mechanic told him $10,000, to which the man's jaw DROPPED.

The man told the mechanic that he had $500 and wondered if it was enough to buy the truck. Of course it was NOT. What an insult!! This moron thought he could buy my straight, minimal rust, beauty heirloom truck for chump change!! I told the mechanic that the $500 price would not even cover the wheels (minus tires).
BTW my mechanic was not trying to sell the truck, he was putting a loser in his place with a well-deserved prank.
PROJECT JIGSAW 1967 GMC C3500
GREAT WHITE 1986 Blazer M1009

Last edited by HIGHWAY BY THE SEA; 07-15-2019 at 12:14 PM.
HIGHWAY BY THE SEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 11:53 PM   #37
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHWAY BY THE SEA View Post
When my 68 stepside was at the mechanic's shop for an extended period, a man came to the shop and was marveling about what good shape it was in and asked the mechanic if it was for sale. The mechanic told him it was for sale (knowing that this eager beaver did not have a pot to pee in) and the man got excited and asked the price. The mechanic told him $10,000, to which the man's jaw DROPPED.
The man told the mechanic that he had $500 and wondered if it was enough to buy the truck. Of course it was NOT. What an insult!! This moron thought he could buy my straight, minimal rust, beauty heirloom truck for chump change!! I told the mechanic that the $500 price would not even cover the wheels (minus tires).
BTW my mechanic was not trying to sell the truck, he was putting a loser in his place with a well-deserved prank.
Yeah, I'll sell you the carburetor for $500. Actually, I wouldn't, because I know what it's going to cost me to get one that works like mine does already.

Simi Valley, CA
Old 07-15-2019, 12:03 AM   #38
wesmigletz

I've made a lot of friends over the years at shows, the drag strip, and buying/selling parts, but I can't think of anyone that knocked on my door or approached me and said, "do you want to sell that thing..." that I'd care to associate with.
1964 Malibu SS
1957 Corvette
Pics
www.picturetrail.com/wesmigletz
wesmigletz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 11:18 AM   #39
matthew.mcmullin

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I've also said to those who say "Everything's for sale" one of two things, "I love this truck more than money" or "I guess that's why you don't have one"
I'm going to need to remember this one...
matthew.mcmullin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 12:08 PM   #40
mygmctruck1

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew.mcmullin View Post
I'm going to need to remember this one...
Not everything is for sale and if it was that say much about people .

I always say if it is , than you can be bought !
mygmctruck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 11:02 AM   #41
96blazr

I'm sitting at a left turn stop light, when a guy rolls up to my right side in a minivan with 2 peckerheads in car seats in the back and says "Man, nice truck, wanna sell it"? I turn, see the little yard apes, the minivan and say "Not to you".
The look on his face was priceless. I said "No way would I ever sell you my truck". "First, you have a 2-car garage with one side filled to the top with S**t and the other one is for your wife's car, you would let my beauty outside and your wife would kill you for spending $30k and you need all the money you got for their education, but hey thanks for asking and have a nice day". Light turned and I left.

Another one: I'm in the drive way doing "Detail Duty" on Pair-A-Dice when a late model (2000's) pickup pulls, guy (dude1) on passenger side, lady (bit*h) in the middle and guy (dude2) driving. "Hey, that's a beautiful truck"!,
"Thanks" I reply.
"Wanna sell it"? Okay, I'm hot, tired and not in the mood, so I decide to have a little fun. "I don't know, everything has a price, let's talk". Dude1: "I'm looking for a truck for my 16 year old son's birthday, if you were to sell it, how much ya want for it"?
I said "You wanna buy this truck for a 16 year old"? I said "okay, I'll give you the one day only, special birthday price of $30k".
(Bit*h)"WHAT!! 30 Grand"!? "For that? What's it made of GOLD"!?
"No, it's made of my Blood, my Sweat, my Tears and my Money and if you think I'm gonna sell it to you to give to some 16 year old douchflute, you'd better think again, have a nice day" Turned walked back.
Of course I was being cussed at and the guy tore outta there.
Too damn funny.

Remember, no matter where you go,
There you are.

Gary
96blazr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 01:56 PM   #42
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96blazr View Post
I'm sitting at a left turn stop light, when a guy rolls up to my right side in a minivan with 2 peckerheads in car seats in the back and says "Man, nice truck, wanna sell it"? I turn, see the little yard apes, the minivan and say "Not to you".
The look on his face was priceless. I said "No way would I ever sell you my truck". "First, you have a 2-car garage with one side filled to the top with S**t and the other one is for your wife's car, you would let my beauty outside and your wife would kill you for spending $30k and you need all the money you got for their education, but hey thanks for asking and have a nice day". Light turned and I left.

Another one: I'm in the drive way doing "Detail Duty" on Pair-A-Dice when a late model (2000's) pickup pulls, guy (dude1) on passenger side, lady (bit*h) in the middle and guy (dude2) driving. "Hey, that's a beautiful truck"!,
"Thanks" I reply.
"Wanna sell it"? Okay, I'm hot, tired and not in the mood, so I decide to have a little fun. "I don't know, everything has a price, let's talk". Dude1: "I'm looking for a truck for my 16 year old son's birthday, if you were to sell it, how much ya want for it"?
I said "You wanna buy this truck for a 16 year old"? I said "okay, I'll give you the one day only, special birthday price of $30k".
"No, it's made of my Blood, my Sweat, my Tears and my Money and if you think I'm gonna sell it to you to give to some 16 year old douchflute, you'd better think again, have a nice day" Turned walked back.
Too damn funny.
My, that was rude! Sounds like something I'd say! LMAO

Simi Valley, CA
Old 07-16-2019, 04:58 PM   #43
James K

I always like these. Mine has only been completed and on the road about two months but in that time I have had about a dozen people ask. "What would you take for it?" Right now today 30K. One of three responses.
1. That's a lot.
2. How much you got into it? to which I respond that is not relevant.
3. Seems fair. The third response is rare.
James K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:13 PM   #44
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
I'm sitting at a left turn stop light, when a guy rolls up to my right side in a minivan with 2 peckerheads in car seats...
...Light turned and I left.

"Thanks" I reply.
"Wanna sell it"?...
... and if you think I'm gonna sell it to you to give to some 16 year old douchflute, you'd better think again, have a nice day" Turned walked back.
Too damn funny.
If you ever do decide to sell it you might want to list it in another county . At first I was thinking you sure wasted a lot of words on those people, but when you figure they'll spread the news, "Don't bother asking that guy to sell his '68", all over the county I guess they weren't wasted after all

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 11:46 AM   #45
matthew.mcmullin

Quote:

"Thanks" I reply.
Too damn funny.
That's awesome! I need to practice stuff like this.
matthew.mcmullin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 07:57 AM   #46
GWWhite

I just say NOPE!
GWWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 02:06 AM   #47
67 twins

Just tonight on the way to work I stopped by the local truck stop to air up the tires. Old trucker pulls up next to me (turns his truck off cause I can't hear what he's saying )
That's a nice truck. what will you take for her.
Tonight? Right now? $12000 he didn't bat an eye. I only have about a 1/3 of that in it, she's no creampuff & I've only had the truck since January. Hell I just started driving it. IT'S GOT JULY LICENSE PLATES ON IT lol
72 C1500 Sierra Grande 350 TH350 longbed fleetside=wife's fair weather truck
Can you tell we are fans of longbed fleetsides & 67s
Chris

Last edited by 67 twins; 07-19-2019 at 02:36 AM.
67 twins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 11:15 PM   #48
70c10-08

Cool Re: Interesting conversations...

Usually if anyone asks me how much I want for mine I give them the high retail value from NADA which is currently for a 1970 fleetside long box C/10 no a/c no p.s. manual transmission is $67,300 that usually shuts em up lol but really my old girl isn't for sale at any price she's like a child to me
70c10-08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 09:51 AM   #49
saxart

Just last week I was at a local home improvement store when something odd happened. I had just got out of the truck when i hear a car pull up and a voice behind me. "Hey, you don't want to sell that do ya?" I turn around and see a sketchy looking guy in a early 90's Dodge mini van that is rusted to nothingness.

Without hesitating I say "Nope". He goes, "Well, I supposed everything is for sale for the right price......right?" I'm thinking, "buddy, you probably don't have money for lunch, why are you asking about my truck??" Then he goes, "You should let me take the dents out of that for ya.....that's what I do you know." (I don't know you, so, NO I don't know that!)

Now I'm getting frustrated. It's hot out, I just want to get inside and get the project supplies I needed and get back home, so I said, "The dents are fine, I built the truck, so this is the way I wanted it to be"

Well, THAT was the wrong thing to say. At this point he cranes his head out the window of his van and says, "What kind of shocks are those??" (He saw the rear shock relocate kit). "What kind of engine does it have?" "Auto or stick?"

I answer a few of his questions, but at this point the guy was getting creepy. We've all "talked truck" with someone before, but this guy seemed like he was fishing for info more than just curious banter, so I said, "Look buddy, I don't mean to be a jerk, but I have to go" and we parted ways.

Once I got in the store I looked out the window and realized this wasn't over. He made a slow loop through the parking lot and ended up back by my truck, so I stood there looking out the store window just making sure he wasn't going to try anything. He sat there until another vehicle pulled up behind him and honked, then he pulled to the far end of the parking lot and just sat there so I went ahead and did my shopping.

10 min later I walk out with my plumbing supplies and can still see the top of his van over the top of the cars in the parking lot. He's still in that far back corner. As I pulled out of the lot, he let a couple of vehicles go in front of him, then he pulls out (he never did go in the store).

At this point I went the complete OPPOSITE way instead of heading toward home because this guy was most certainly following me. I finally lost him by letting a traffic light turn green and jumping in the left turn lane at the last minute (he was right behind me and would have made a scene to follow me). As he went by he eerily peered out his window at me. Once he disappeared down the block I quickly turned around and got out of there, looking in my rear view mirror the entire time.

Why couldn't this guy just let it be friendly banter, but instead had to make it turn creepy???

Last edited by saxart; 07-20-2019 at 09:59 AM.
saxart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 10:07 AM   #50
clay68c10

Maybe more criminal than creepy. I’d say he was scoping it so he could steal it from your house.
05 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. 3” lift & 6-speed
02 E320 the insurance total “free car”
13 Tahoe LTZ
clay68c10 is offline   Reply With Quote