The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-17-2011, 10:48 PM   #1
basshunterpa

Much need of Roof Help

I have a 69 Chevy that the previous owner chopped the top. I am wondering if there is any way to use the seals or seal type used on the blazer to attach the top at the front pilar. I have not seen the way it is mounted in person, so really could use some help with this. If anybody has some pictures and details of the seals. If anyone has part numbers as well. The pics of my truck are in my profile as well as here >>>>

http://photobucket.com/1969ChevyC10covertible

Thanks guys... This Truck deserves a top!
basshunterpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 11:52 PM   #2
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

Re: Much need of Roof Help

It really depends on how the top mounts to the windshield frame. On the blazers, the top sits on top of the windshield frame. In your pictures, it looks like the top was cut straight across just at the tail edge of the A pillar.

With all the mini trucks that had their tops cut off in the 80's, I'd think there is something out there that would work.
Wife's Ride2014 Fiat 500L
bouncytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 03:35 AM   #3
basshunterpa

I will have to get some more pics of my top. It is cut a few inches back. The top sitting on it isnt the original top that was cut off, so it is overlapping some. I am probably going to buy another top from the local salvage. I have tried the mini truck companies, theysaid there stuff is very application specific, and nothing for mine. Would love to see some detailed images of the Blazer tops to determine what I need to alter... Thanks for your help
Old 12-18-2011, 07:40 AM   #4
jaros44sr

I agree with bouncy....the easiest or best fix would be to use the top winshield frame from a blazer, then you could use all the factory gaskets

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 08:38 AM   #5
rsavage

You may want to look into having a convertible top made as it might end up being easier and cheaper. Shops make tops up for rods so I don't see why one couldn't be made to fit your truck. The top of a Blazer windshield frame is significantly different than a pickup. The top seal is on the fiberglass top and it is bolted through the sunvisor brackets specific to Blazer and two brackets towards the center of the windshield cross member. The tops of the windshield post have a slant on them to meet the top. The door weatherstrip that meets the corner of the top screws on with three 1/4 20 countersunk machine screws and that weatherstrip continues down and around the door web. I have a photo of the top of a windshield post corner that has been repaired - the weather strip triangle covers the surface. If you are considering using a Blazer 1/2 top, you will need to find one and measure height as they mount below the door level (Blazer doors are higher than the sides).
It may also be less difficult to have a truck top and a pillars grafted back on or the drop top as mentioned previously. Keep us posted.
2021 Durango RT 5.7
rsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:48 AM   #6
basshunterpa

Yeah.... I am half tempted to get a donor top, and weld some sort of C- channel to the pilar. Maybe put some sort of seal in the channel, but still can't figure how to secure it even with that done. The guy didn't leave much room. The over head setup is an obstruction too.. I am open to any ideas that members may have. I am broke already