The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-03-2012, 04:04 PM   #1
Stepside Jim

Re: 1957 Chevy truck re-rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian113 View Post
Finally a picture of the truck!! Only kidding you do good work and explain it so even a Dumb azz like me can understand it. Keep the pictures coming of this I think it will be a fine example of TF Trucks . Lookin Good

I am chuckling on this end, does the "TF" mean Task Force?
Stepside Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:16 PM   #2
Indian113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepside Jim View Post
I am chuckling on this end, does the "TF" mean Task Force?
Yep,that's what it means!!
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:35 AM   #3
Stepside Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian113 View Post
Yep,that's what it means!!
Great, I didn't know about the Task Force until a couple months ago.

I love watching old car commercials. I have some tapes and DVD's. One of the last DVD's I bought had a long commercial from 1957.

It was based on a fleet of 57 Chevy trucks making what's called the Alcan run. Had I not seen that, I would have no idea of the task Force. Good stuff.

Also, I'm glad you like my desciptive posts, I have a build thread for a Willys truck going also. It began as a showing thread and has turned into a teaching thread. It's been very satisfying. I suppose I've carried the same narrative writings to this thread also.

I didn't have these next pics loaded into photobucket before. Sorry to say, I'm on dial-up, it takes forever to load pics.

This picture is of the day we started working on it. Don't be fooled by how nice it looks. As I mentioned before, it was all redone years ago, it just wasn't properly redone.

I will say however, I am very fortunate to start with a truck that is complete.

My intent was to give dad one fun truck. Something that was everyday reliable, yet had an aggressve attitude and plenty of power to make him smile from ear to ear. He had a 327 that had issues, right here I've taken out the 327 and fitting a 396 in it's place.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:01 PM   #4
_Ogre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepside Jim View Post
does the "TF" mean Task Force?
"Too Fine"
thanks for posting a pic of the truck
nice looking truck, good start for your project

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:33 PM   #5
Stepside Jim

Well, now that I think about it, it was amost 2 years ago to the day I took this picture. I had just got the engine assembled to this point when I got the call that dad passed away.

So the engine was 80 percent assembled, and much of the body work was smoothed. I lost my interest, my focus was gone. The truck sat for a year and a half. I had another truck that needed work so I worked on it and the 57 gathered dust.

Other than the pictures of the redesigned taillights that I posted earlier, all the others are from 2 years ago.

Now we're up do date, at least the last few months. This Chevy has become my only focus. Being single, I can do that without getting in trouble.

One issue I had was to go back to the original rear bumper, so I ordered one along with the original brackets.

I mounted the bumper then stood back and scratched my head. Are you kidding me, that thing sits so far back it doesn't look like a part of the truck. Plus it's too low.

I removed a section out of the brackets, then realized I wanted to build the filler panel between the bed and the bumper. I needed about 3/8" space. Welding a bead on the bead I bridged the space to hold the bumper in place while I made the panel. Now it's time to get the brackets back together.

Once the gap has been filled.

Time to get it looking original.

Looking good and the bumper is exactly where I want it to be.

Same procedure for the ones that go to the sides.

The welding and grinding is done.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:36 PM   #6
Fat Mike

You have some excellent welding skills and even better finishing skills. Looks great!
Fat Mike is offline   Reply With Quote