The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > Review Board > Product Reviews

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-11-2011, 07:22 PM   #1
ll____b0t____ll

Thumbs down PYPES exhaust kit for 1967-1972 experience.

This is my experience with the kit.
So i get it and set it out ...looks like ill need more clamps its about 4 shy.
eveything looks nice and quality and slides together well , all the bends are smooth and mock up to the truck good enough "shortbed here" so it will require a small amount cut after the mufflers to fit.

Install Day.
Warning the instructions that come with the kit say to start at the back ,this makes you have to cut or trim pipe before you get to any problems thus making a return impossible later so be warned.
I opted to start from the front , the pipes that connect to the header collector slide on and get clamped , next the 2 pipes than go into the X pipe.
I opted to attach the X pipe to these 2 pies as one peice to make it easyer... didnt help had to take it back off as the angles didnt line up.

So X pipe forward installed its onto the the 2 pipes coming out the X pipe.
Problem HUGE problem the X pipe is off center and one of these pipes to which the muffler attaches is directly under the rear control arm.
Not only that but the other one still isnt far enough inside the other control arm, so trimming to bring the two exiting pipes closer to each other.
Trimming done guess what... still these 2 pipes will not fit inside the suspension.
Now the off center problem is an almost easy process, you simply trim one side before the X pipe thus shifting it left or right the way you need.
X pipe centered and the rear exiting pipes after the X pipe still have no room to hook mufflers to them .
I set mufflers on them and we are hitting control arms more on one side than the other.
The only way to fix this problem is ... new pipes or bend the ones from the kit , i can do neither.
Meanwhile this being my only vehicle daily driver and now living in town I have a problem. I desperatly need mufflers on so as not to get ticketed and or kicked out of my apt by angrey neighbors .
Pypes company is no help "once you cut your ****ed up the butt", thats their stance even though their directions force you to start at the back where trimming is required.
PYPES you suck and this is no way to treat a section of your customers A.K.A the 1967-1972 truck owners.

So thankfully my old existing exhaust had to be cut to be removed thanks to an over zealous welder action hangers from some one i wont name.
And that leaves me with no way back ,ill have to install my mufflers even though they grind on the control arms .....*******

Meanwhile my whole reason for redoing this kit was to get rid of a exit after the cab system and get the exhaust out the back.....what was i thinking right.
So theres no way to install the over the rear dif pipes let alone the pipes that connect to those, they sit in my house mocking me.

Sooner or latter ill save enough money .. basically the amount the PYPES kit cost to take it to a shop to be completed .
Meanwhile i cant take any turn faster than 5 miles an hour and any bump is a CLANK GRIND BONK kinda reminds me of a bad original batman episode.

Please if your looking into this kit and dont have A. a welder B. pipe bender C.extra money D. a magic wand BE WARNED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thank you for reading and please send your feedback as a C-10 owner to PYPES in hopes they can be encouraged to make the neccessary changes to this kit .

P.S Dont be fooled by the photos they have of that blue C-10 with the kit on it thats not at all what your kit will look like or fit like its not even close to the same angles youll recieve.

Last edited by ll____b0t____ll; 03-11-2011 at 07:30 PM.
ll____b0t____ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:01 PM   #2
bigguy69
dazed and confused

Re: PYPES exhaust kit for 1967-1972 experience.

wow!
Old 03-12-2011, 12:21 AM   #3
gcburdic
Restoration Virgin!

moving this one to the Review Forum....thanks for your input, but sorry things didn't work out

1972 Custom Deluxe C20 Suburban A Suburban Named Isabella

1966 Ford Mustang Mama's High School Graduation Present
gcburdic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 04:38 PM   #4
chevymotocross

Wow thanks for this review! I was planning on getting the kit for my 87 shortbed. Sounds like I may skip this kit and have a shop do their own.

Where did you purchase this kit? I know Summit sells them. 73-87chevytrucks.com sells them as well and the folks over there say it's been a good kit.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:12 PM   #5
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

I got that same kit SGT79 and had absolutely no problems, I did start from the back as they suggested and looked at the pictures of the install on their website and it laid out great. I did have to lower my rear sway bar a few inches. I think it took all of about 4 hrs and I was done. I do have stock manifolds but that shouldn't affect the install process. When I was done it looked just like on their web pages. Its a nice kit for the money. I can't speak about their tech support not having called them. I wonder if maybe they shipped you the wrong kit.

Last edited by dwcsr; 03-13-2011 at 06:14 PM.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:08 AM   #6
SnS C10

I know its been awhile but I just installed this kit on my 72 gmc lwb. Everything lines up perfect. I put 2 flowmaster 50 series on and started at the headers. Instructions were great, and came with all clamps and hardware. I would buy this kit again and it soumds great as well
Posted via Mobile Device
SnS C10 is offline   Reply With Quote