The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-15-2017, 11:01 AM   #1
custom10nut

Hard fuel line source?

When I move my fuel tank to the rear, I want to use hard line from the tank to the fuel pump. The only rubber will be a short section from the tank to the frame, and the frame to the fuel pump.
Any suggestions as to where to get the hard line?
I can bend it and flare it myself, I just need a source.
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 11:10 AM   #2
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Re: Hard fuel line source?

Most parts houses have steel hard line on the shelf. I know the one I go to has sticks and coils of line in 3/16", 1/4", 5/16", 3/8", etc.

If you want stainless, places like Inline Tube or Summit Racing sell it in coils or sticks depending on how much you want.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 11:15 AM   #3
custom10nut

Thanks Gary. Regular steel line is what I was planning.
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 11:24 AM   #4
The Youngen

I just ran all new fuel lines to a 6.2 diesel with a 3/8" supply and 1/4" return (similar for vapor returns on 71-72's) to an in cab tank as well as a tank after the rear axle.
I used a common transfer switch from the 80's and 90's mounted to the frame with a simple double pull double throw switch (no central off) to determine direction since it stops pulling power after it's internally switched.
ACDelco U7000 https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-U7000.../dp/B0013FY5KW.

I was recommended to use NiCopp for fuel as well as brake lines. It's much easier to flare than steel and you can bend it mostly by hand. Additionally, it shouldn't rust like steel and fail.
http://agscompany.com/product-catego...-lines/nicopp/

The only thing to be aware of is that Copper products tend to crack when flexed slightly but repeatedly over time. To alleviate this i installed the lines with rubber coated metal hangers. This would be bad for steel since it would trap moisture.
95 Chevy 4x4 1500 Tahoe 6.5T/4L80E
04 Chevy 4x4 3500 Silverado 6.6T Duramax/Allison 1000 (work truck)
09 Chevy Aveo 1.6L/5 speed manual
The Youngen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 11:31 AM   #5
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

I have an older mom and pop type store that's been around this town for eons. They used to be a "Parts Plus" distributor, but now they are an "Auto Plus" parts distributor. They have a lot of parts in stock that the other chain stores in town don't usually have on the shelf, so I feel pretty lucky they are here. I've watched the store go from the original owners, to their son, and now to their grand daughter. Funny thing as their old store is nestled right between an O'Reily's, Auto Zone, and a Les Schwab tire center. They still maintain a rack of catalogs that are up to date since their antiquated computer system is pretty limited. It just feels right to walk in there.

I can get anything I need pretty much with in the next day if they don't have it on the shelf already. They have a lot of brake and fuel line options along with all the fittings to go with it.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 11:55 AM   #6
HO455
Post Whore

You might look into using a Suburban line. I believe they use the same piece from the pump back to under the cab as a pickup. Then there is a short piece of hose to the hard line which contiunues back to the tank behind the rear axle. You might try searching the Suburban section for photos.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 10:06 AM   #7
GRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Youngen View Post
I was recommended to use NiCopp for fuel as well as brake lines. It's much easier to flare than steel and you can bend it mostly by hand. Additionally, it shouldn't rust like steel and fail.
http://agscompany.com/product-catego...-lines/nicopp/

The only thing to be aware of is that Copper products tend to crack when flexed slightly but repeatedly over time. To alleviate this i installed the lines with rubber coated metal hangers. This would be bad for steel since it would trap moisture.
x10 on NiCopp line. Yes, pure copper line will work harden & crack. However, NiCopp is an alloy containing a lot of nickle and does not suffer from that problem.
Old 01-17-2017, 05:58 PM   #8
volksworld

the nicopp also has iron in it ...nice stuff...advance has it by me
Old 01-18-2017, 01:43 AM   #9
88Stanger

does anyone use aluminum fuel line? it is easy to manipulate and looks good.
88Stanger is offline   Reply With Quote