The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-16-2019, 03:19 PM   #1
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

What kinda sorta rare job have you done for a living ?

I was a sawyer in a sawmill ,, I was pulling lumber on the green chain first and then off-bearing the saw ,then sawyer..

The mill is in the background ,,a ferry landing is to the left to take cars and trucks across the Columbia River ,,dont know the kids

I never had a photo of the mill until just recently and now people are starting to post them on sites,, thats how I got this one..

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  37.9 KBI
Old 02-16-2019, 03:30 PM   #2
Troy Sr

Re: What kinda sorta rare job have you done for a living ?

I've been a mechanical designer my whole career, 1st job w/ NASA designing a satellite (EUVE Satellite) and now with DOE designing synchrotron light souce (Advanced Light Source) and beam lines at the facility.
Old 02-16-2019, 04:39 PM   #3
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Subject reminds me of a book by Studs Terkel "Working" 1974 where he interviews a variety of folks about the jobs they do. It's an interesting and worthwhile read that includes jobs now obsolete: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Workin...t_What_They_Do

Not rare but the worst job I had was a summer gig roofing in New Mexico

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 06:01 PM   #4
Ironhorse

Not sure if you would call it "rare" or not but when I worked for the Boeing Aircraft Co. in Wichita Kansas I was one of 16 people out of about 8,300 employees who were crane certified to work on the Presidential Air Force One 747. Had to pass a VERY rigorous and intensive back ground check by Boeing, Air Force Security and also Dept. of Defense for security clearance. Remember some pretty "intense" moments when operating a 65 ton rough terrain crane. Back side pulling up enough vinyl seat material you could almost taste it, LOL.
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 06:15 PM   #5
The Rocknrod

I've done this, but I think on the Video it was training day or something, slower than I have ever seen - https://youtu.be/e-V0dKwyu6E
And I was the Arresting Gear Chief on the Kitty Hawk.
Trained the Air and Mini Boss on the Essex.
Drove a Fire Truck.
Was a Navy Recruiter in Las Vegas, NV (ohhhh the stories).
Attached Images

The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 07:30 PM   #6
GOPAPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Sr View Post
I've been a mechanical designer my whole career, 1st job w/ NASA designing a satellite (EUVE Satellite) and now with DOE designing synchrotron light souce (Advanced Light Source) and beam lines at the facility.
Sounds way above my head,, takes some serious schooling at a desk ll smarts too,,

[quote=DeadheadNM;8467496]

Roofing in Mexico sounds like night work /to hot durring the day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
Not sure if you would call it "rare" or not but when I worked for the Boeing Aircraft Co. in Wichita Kansas I was one of 16 people out of about 8,300 employees who were crane certified to work on the Presidential Air Force One 747. Had to pass a VERY rigorous and intensive back ground check by Boeing, Air Force Security and also Dept. of Defense for security clearance. Remember some pretty "intense" moments when operating a 65 ton rough terrain crane. Back side pulling up enough vinyl seat material you could almost taste it, LOL.
Very specially picked people to do this ,, probably a pat down before each shift

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rocknrod View Post
I've done this, but I think on the Video it was training day or something, slower than I have ever seen - https://youtu.be/e-V0dKwyu6E
And I was the Arresting Gear Chief on the Kitty Hawk.
Trained the Air and Mini Boss on the Essex.
Drove a Fire Truck.
Was a Navy Recruiter in Las Vegas, NV (ohhhh the stories).
This is dangerous looking no room for error ,,never take off the ear muffs too.
Old 02-16-2019, 07:41 PM   #7
shp4man

I played bass and sang backup in a top 40 Country band for about two years in the late 70's.
Wine, Women and Song...and flying beer bottles.
Then, i got married.
Old 02-16-2019, 09:55 PM   #8
Red71gmc

Lord I'm boring. Some remarkable stuff you guys have done!
Red71gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 10:44 PM   #9
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

My first job out of the university, I went to work for a company that beat out two national labs for the efficiency of their process for separating isotopes of the elements. I went on to work in MILSATCOM (Military Satellite Communications) and MD (Missile Defense), and worked for a bit on radar-evading technologies, like on the F117A and F22. Also, some other stuff.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 11:31 PM   #10
special-K
Special Order

In '81-'82 I was job foreman for a custom builder who built passive solar, earth berm, and earth shelter homes. He and I derived our own Dryvit-like "outsulation" exterior wall system using Dow blue board. He didn't like the idea of Dryvit over white beadboard that disolves when it gets wet. So we created our own formula because Dryvit refused to alter their system (for the better).

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 01:45 AM   #11
truckster

I spent 25 years blowing stuff up - combat engineer and field artillery - and now I teach Junior ROTC.
Old 02-17-2019, 06:41 AM   #12
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

I didn't have what you would call a rare job. But it certainly had some unusual moments.
I was a Meter Reader when I started at the electric company. And if you go into in the backyards unannounced of about 400+ houses a day, you're bound to see something eventually.

My friends would ask me "Hey do you ever see naked chicks lying by the pool?
Unfortunately. No. I just saw old naked men running around their backyards. What can be seen cannot be unseen. I've got a million stories about that job.

I was attacked by a hawk, and I can't count how many dogs. I had a tree fall on me in a windstorm. And the lonely housewives that were always really ugly. People pulling guns on me. It was interesting work.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 07:42 AM   #13
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul View Post
I didn't have what you would call a rare job. But it certainly had some unusual moments.
I was a Meter Reader when I started at the electric company. And if you go into in the backyards unannounced of about 400+ houses a day, you're bound to see something eventually.

Unfortunately. No. I just saw old naked men running around their backyards. What can be seen cannot be unseen. I've got a million stories about that job.

I was attacked by a hawk, and I can't count how many dogs. I had a tree fall on me in a windstorm. And the lonely housewives that were always really ugly. People pulling guns on me. It was interesting work.
You reminded me of one of my experiences. Visiting a friend in San Diego, we went on down into Baja to surf, "sipped" almost a whole bottle of Mescal while down there, for some reason couldn't recall events from the prior day and felt awfully ill the next morning. Musta caught something down there, maybe it's the water? Anyway, his idea for the next day was go stroll Black's Beach. "Oh boy! A nude California girl beach... Woo Woo!! I think I can handle this". Strolling up and down, feeling miserable, hurt to turn my head (or much of anything), all I saw were whale-like humans to dried sacks of skin... mostly male. Basically, I just focused on straight ahead or seaward to observe the waves. A couple times he'd say, "Look at that one", I'd carefully and slowly turn my head scanning across all this undesirable 'element' to see the 5 or 6er queen of the barrel bottom, and struggle for several minutes to keep from puking. Two very educational days for sure.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 02-17-2019, 09:15 AM   #14
rusty76

I was a kid with a lawnmower (rare today). I mowed folks yards and hand pulled weeds. I also used hand held grass sheers. In all seriousness though a lot of the hands on trades are hurting slowly making them rare.
My build thread
Crossmembers CC
rusty76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 09:40 AM   #15
Greg63
Enjoy your truck

I spent years as a Zamboni driver at our local arena.
Attached Images

1 Corinthians 10:13

1963 Chevrolet 1/2 ton
2010 Camaro SS/RS
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2016 Jeep Cherokee
Greg63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 09:52 AM   #16
rusty76

Quote:

In my regular ole plain Jane job I too have seen many of the same. And yes some things can not be unseen.
My build thread
Crossmembers CC
rusty76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 10:00 AM   #17
GOPAPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by shp4man View Post
I played bass and sang backup in a top 40 Country band for about two years in the late 70's.
Wine, Women and Song...and flying beer bottles.
Then, i got married.
Sowed your oats as they say

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red71gmc View Post
Lord I'm boring. Some remarkable stuff you guys have done!
Aww ! you musta done something ,,think awhile it will come to ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
My first job out of the university, I went to work for a company that beat out two national labs for the efficiency of their process for separating isotopes of the elements. I went on to work in MILSATCOM (Military Satellite Communications) and MD (Missile Defense), and worked for a bit on radar-evading technologies, like on the F117A and F22. Also, some other stuff.
That is pretty high tech ,,sounds like the guys at the nuclear plant I worked at

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
In '81-'82 I was job foreman for a custom builder who built passive solar, earth berm, and earth shelter homes. He and I derived our own Dryvit-like "outsulation" exterior wall system using Dow blue board. He didn't like the idea of Dryvit over white beadboard that disolves when it gets wet. So we created our own formula because Dryvit refused to alter their system (for the better).
This I never got to do as a carpenter,, sounds interesting though ,I did do a cooler for a tavern and used a 2 inch thick insulating board,,maybe your board would of been better..

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
I spent 25 years blowing stuff up - combat engineer and field artillery - and now I teach Junior ROTC.
It is fun to see stuff blow up,,once i worked for a old guy and he had me digging holes down by a big ol stump with a long spoon like shovel ,when the stump blew a chunk almost hit one of his hogs and could of killed it

Quote:
I was a Meter Reader when I started at the electric company. And if you go into in the backyards unannounced of about 400+ houses a day, you're bound to see something eventually.,
I can relate to some of that as I worked at Christmas package delivery for the post office in Portland Oregon and B.D, was what I marked on the package when a bad dog would not let me sit the package inside he screen door,, and I delivered in the skid row part of the city and seen some pretty rawnchy stuff for a 18 year old ,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty76 View Post
I was a kid with a lawnmower (rare today). I mowed folks yards and hand pulled weeds. I also used hand held grass sheers. In all seriousness though a lot of the hands on trades are hurting slowly making them rare.
I lived out in the country and so much wanted to be able to mow lawns in town ,but it was to far to go ,so I helped my dad log.. mowing lawns was a good starter job for a kid ,, and you got to do it,
Old 02-17-2019, 10:47 AM   #18
The Rocknrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
I tried to go EOD but I was in the Mafia, they wouldn't let me go. They went all the way to COMNAVAIRPAC and had him call the Bureau who after that wouldn't talk to me (illegal). My brother said they probably saved my life. I say B.S. I had bigger plans.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 11:55 AM   #19
100%Chevy

Nothing as good as the rest of you!
I did work as an electrician in the research and development dept of a chemical company for nearly 10 years.I saw a lot of bad,dangerous ( and very deadly) experiments and inventions.
Spent time on a nuclear sub in the early 70's.About 3 months for the security clearance.
And,in the 90's,my company built county jail's for about 2 years.All remote door lock controls,security cameras,remote lighting,etc.I did all the wiring with helpers.The wiring was supposed to be a big secret!But,that didn't last long before someone had to know for maintenance.
I worked on the baggage system at the new Denver International Airport too!
And,last---In the 60's,at about 14 years old,I hired out for the summer working for Dollar General Stores.A crew of 3 (plus me) had 2 vans and we would remodel a rented store into a new Dollar General Store. It was store number 3 in Alexandria,Louisiana.Store number 1 was in Columbia,Ms.Can't remember where store number 2 was.It's a big company now!
Mike.
100%Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 12:25 PM   #20
'63GENIII

Quote:

Had a couple of paper routes in the city as a kid. Got the first one at 9 and by 11 had 4 of them. One day while collecting the subscription money, this middle aged lady answered the door in an open robe. She wasn't exactly pretty but I was 10 and almost peed myself. I couldn't even ask for the money. First time seeing boobs not in a magazine. I pretty much turned and ran. Can still hear her giggling. After that I would take my best friend collecting with me.

It never happened again either.

Later I worked as a baker in a pretty rough part of town down by 6th and Mission before it was gentrified. The place had a big roll up door with a man door on the side. It was about mid block and there were many homeless posted up and down the alley. I had to start baking at 3 so get there by 2:30. I would run from Mission, down the alley with key out in hand, quick open the man door, get in and lock it once inside. It was like Walking Dead every day. On one occasion, this guy outside started throwing bottles at the man door while singing "I am the muffin man". That was a pretty funny memory of that place.

'63 k15 long step
Vortec 7.4 - L29 Blackbear tune, Five 0 Motorsports injectors, Chris Straub Cam, NV4500, divorced 205
52" front and 63" rear spring swap
D44 / 14bff - disc axles
Milemarker 9K and 10.5K hydraulic winches

63" & B52 Spring Install http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ng+swap+thread

NV4500 Reverse Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=reverse+build

L29 - 7.4 Vortec Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&highlight=L29
'63GENIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 12:07 AM   #21
davischevy

In 1990 we built a high dollar boat house on Bull Shoals Lake. This thing was state of the art, top to bottom.

The interesting thing for a carpenter, was we had no need for a level. Every thing had to be done with a framing or T square or line blocks. Wall panel had to be squared, and sheathing had to be glued and screwed, then bolted to the floor framing.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 12:22 AM   #22
lowrollin70gmc
Too many projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg63 View Post
I spent years as a Zamboni driver at our local arena.

I also ran Zamboni for about a year. Watched more hockey and drove in more circles than I thought possible. But a good job and badge of honor in hockey country.
68 K20 Suburban 12V Cummins/NV5600/NP205/D60/11.5AAM 3.73s "Dakota Cadillac"
63 Chevy II Nova Coupe 250 I6/T56/4.56s "Economy car"
53 Willys Wagon 350/NV4500/BW4401/HP D44/9inch “Winter Wagon”
30 Model A 16 Focus ST
lowrollin70gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 06:56 AM   #23
1968k20

I am a saw filer here in Chester,Ca.
Yanmar Tractor 3 Cyl Diesel
1968k20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 08:24 AM   #24
GOPAPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rocknrod View Post
I tried to go EOD but I was in the Mafia, they wouldn't let me go. They went all the way to COMNAVAIRPAC and had him call the Bureau who after that wouldn't talk to me (illegal). My brother said they probably saved my life. I say B.S. I had bigger plans.
I agree good you got out of that job ,what is the life years of a EOD ?

[quote=100%Chevy;8467984]Nothing as good as the rest of you!
I did work as an electrician in the research and development dept of a chemical company for nearly 10 years.I saw a lot of bad,dangerous ( and very deadly) experiments and inventions.
Spent time on a nuclear sub in the early 70's.About 3 months for the security clearance.

Met a lot of guys who was on subs went to work at a Nuclear Site

[QUOTE='63GENIII;8468009]Had a couple of paper routes in the city as a kid. Got the first one at 9 and by 11 had 4 of them. One day while collecting the subscription money, this middle aged lady answered the door in an open robe. She wasn't exactly pretty but I was 10 and almost peed myself. I couldn't even ask for the money. First time seeing boobs not in a magazine. I pretty much turned and ran. Can still hear her giggling. After that I would take my best friend collecting with me.

It never happened again either.

I had a paper route when I was 12 and one day I went to deliver a paper and the sherriff told me to just skip this house . guy shot his wife and then himself dead.

[QUOTE=davischevy;8468593]In 1990 we built a high dollar boat house on Bull Shoals Lake. This thing was state of the art, top to bottom.

Sounds interesting Larry ,,I got to experience buikding something on unlevel ground too ..not as elaberate as yours ,,but..I once built a fish tender buiding on a barge on Lopez Island out from Aberdeen Wa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrollin70gmc View Post
I also ran Zamboni for about a year. Watched more hockey and drove in more circles than I thought possible. But a good job and badge of honor in hockey country.
Had to look up what a Zamboni was ,,now I can say I know a guy who shaves ice. is it a heated cab?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1968k20 View Post
I am a saw filer here in Chester,Ca.
What kind of saws do you sharpen ? circle/ gang/band we had them all in the sawmill I worked in ..except band saw
Old 02-18-2019, 08:54 AM   #25
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by davischevy View Post
In 1990 we built a high dollar boat house on Bull Shoals Lake. This thing was state of the art, top to bottom.

The interesting thing for a carpenter, was we had no need for a level. Every thing had to be done with a framing or T square or line blocks. Wall panel had to be squared, and sheathing had to be glued and screwed, then bolted to the floor framing.
What if the lake was out of level?

More like a dream job. I had a stock boy job in HS. Not so rare in general, but this was a place in a mall called Smuggler's Attic. It was an import boutique, sold hippy kinda stuff and it was all hot hippy chicks working there except for me. It had an 8-track sound system always playing the cool stuff of the time ('71/'72). It was upstairs on a corner above the central fountain with square seating thingies along the rail, and a straight shot in from the upper parking deck. All the HS kids "hung out" there. The whole corner opened up to the store. I was paid to hang out, basically. Keeping it stocked was simple, took less than the first hour to get that done. The rest of the time I watched for shop lifting. The funniest thing of all was I never worked Thursdays and that was the day the truck came down with stock from New York. I never unloaded a truck the whole time. Just got paid (not much) to hang with the harem and the other kids basically

Tim