The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Our Stuff... In Scale

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-29-2009, 12:22 PM   #1
TwoFiftyShifter

Anyone built the plastic model?

Revell Monogram has a 2in1 65 Chevy short bed step, I haven't built models in years but I am going to buy this one and build it. Has anybody built this one? It should pass the time when I'm inside too lazy to work on the real thing out in the garage!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Revell-7210-1-25...item56385caffb
Old 12-29-2009, 02:44 PM   #2
Hilandr451

Re: Anyone built the plastic model?

Yes, I have.... well sort of.... well, half a model anyway!

I had it mounted on a plaque and then gave it out as an award in the 2007 RNS truck meet:

If you look closely - there's an old alternator & beer cans in the back!
Highlander's web site: www.6066ChevyTrucks.com

Last edited by Hilandr451; 12-29-2009 at 02:45 PM.
Hilandr451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 03:59 PM   #3
DPowers
One foot in front of the other

That's so cool
DPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 04:12 PM   #4
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

I've built several 60-63 stepsides with parts from that kit and the AMT 1960 kit, along with some resin parts from Modelhaus.

markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:02 AM   #5
protrash64
Resistance is Futile

This is from '01.......
Attached Images

STRENGTH/DETERMINATION/MERCILESS/FOREVER
.......posted via stationary device
protrash64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:36 AM   #6
LILRED66
Account Suspended

Way cool, fellows. Thanks for sharing. I have several plastic model kits, but I decided to keep them, instead of building them. My two year old son will build them, when he gets old enough.
Attached Images

LILRED66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 01:24 AM   #7
shortbed70

Heres one I did about two yrs ago.
Attached Images

1965 Chevy Bagged,361 sbc,voodoo cam,1.5 full roller rockers,patriot 185cc vortec heads 2.02-1.60,vortec weiand polished intake,demon carb

my truckhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=332884

Big Red Dog build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=572274
shortbed70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:40 AM   #8
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

Wow, $20 bucks for a 1:25 scale plastic model! I got sticker shock! I can remeber when model kits were a few bucks... damn I am old.

Where is the best place to buy these from a pricing perspective?

Thanks.
lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:06 AM   #9
astrochimp

Where can I find the early cab and fleetside bed?

I built a copy of my 71 when I had it.
astrochimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:21 AM   #10
TwoFiftyShifter

I've seen a 1960 chevy fleetside on ebay. Lakeroadster, I'm only 18 but I've been building these long enough to remember when all of the models were $7.99 per kit....

Last edited by TwoFiftyShifter; 12-30-2009 at 10:22 AM.
TwoFiftyShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 11:28 AM   #11
Winola73

I used to buy AMT 1/25th 3 in 1 kits for $1.49, glue was 10 cents. Yeah, I'm THAT old! I have one of those Revell kits packed away somewhere I never built. I'll have to dig it out and then see if anybody makes a resin small window cab and long fleetside bed so I can be lazy when I build a model of mine.
Winola73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 11:47 AM   #12
jbgroby

When I starting building models TG & Y was still in business!. Back in 1983 I turned my hobby into a small business by offering custom scale modeling service and I've been at it ever since. The hobby hass expended so much with dozens of aftermarket add ons and such that it's almost possible to do anything.

Over the years we've built everything from prototype's to restoration of damaged antique ship models (MY true love) . Some of the more famous models we done were, a 1/8th scale of Mercedes Benx 540K Roadster which had over 2,000 parts and although the engine nevered fired, you could still crank it by hand. all internal engine parts moved just like the real one.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...r_Mercedes.jpg

made by Pocher Model Company

And we were selected to do the prototype model for the Vietnam Verterans Memorial "Three Fighting Men" (That was sone serious work) and were even selected to be cover of Fine Scale Modeler Magazine Jan. 1989. (worth more than money).

Over the years we've built dozens of car and truck models, what we do is either personally take the pictures of all componets or have them taken, and simple copy every spect of the real car as much as posssible. We them wire them up for lights, engine harness etc.

I'd never though that the business would bring me to some of th places we've worked, (movie set locations in US and canada).

We lost the original shop and a ton of photo's from KATRINA but have restarted everything from scratch at our new home in Lacombe, La.

The link below had the pictures if interested.
jbgroby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 03:07 PM   #13
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winola73 View Post
I used to buy AMT 1/25th 3 in 1 kits for $1.49, glue was 10 cents. Yeah, I'm THAT old! I have one of those Revell kits packed away somewhere I never built. I'll have to dig it out and then see if anybody makes a resin small window cab and long fleetside bed so I can be lazy when I build a model of mine.
I’m in that age bracket too. Got really bummed when they stopped molding all the trophy series cars in black, forcing the purchase of spray paint, which in turn ruined more cars than got finished, requiring the purchase of yet more kits. In hind sight I suppose it was pretty smart marketing. I’ve seen current kits in retails stores for $26.00. Yikes! That’s certainly out of my price range.

I built my first replica 60 GMC several years before the AMT 60 Chevy kit came along. I used a Modelhaus resin replica of an original 1960 GMC promo model cab, grille and hood, along with the Revell stepside bed and part of the cab. At one time Modelhaus offered the complete resin long bed truck kit, but I don’t see it listed anymore in their catalog. For a small back window, I used the large back window glass that came in the kit mounted from the inside, and then cut a hole in it and mounted a 1950 Chevy pick up truck back window in the hole, from the outside, with the mounting flange painted to look like the cab. It makes a pretty realistic small back window cab.

For the long bed, I think ebay is the probably the best bet for finding an original long bed fleetside. NOS early truck kits can cost up to $250, but there are often poorly built or incomplete trucks listed that might provide a long fleetside bed for little money.
Old 12-30-2009, 03:27 PM   #14
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeroadster View Post
Where is the best place to buy these from a pricing perspective?
Thanks.
Most of my collection came from ebay. If you invest enough time looking for bargains you can come up with some pretty sweet deals. It pays to look through a wide variety of search results, since sellers often have no idea what they have or how to correctly describe it. I’ve found some real deals listed as toys, or die casts that weren’t, or with a few rare items in a bunch of junk costing only a couple of dollars.

I used to buy kits from Hobby Heaven, but the owner closed up and went to a new name Spotlight Hobbies, which I’ve read just sells through ebay - http://www.spotlighthobbies.com/. I also found some desired items at Model Roundup – http://www.modelroundup.com/. Of course when I went on unemployment my hobby budget was reset to zero, so I haven’t been buying anything recently.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:36 PM   #15
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

Oh dopey me.... when I saw the diaorama I thought, man those look just like Marks' Hot Rod GMC SWB SS. Never made the connection that Mark was actual the author of the post!

Awesome work Mark, you are a man of many talents.
lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 06:22 PM   #16
Winola73

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeb01 View Post
I’m in that age bracket too. Got really bummed when they stopped molding all the trophy series cars in black,

For the long bed, I think ebay is the probably the best bet for finding an original long bed fleetside. NOS early truck kits can cost up to $250, but there are often poorly built or incomplete trucks listed that might provide a long fleetside bed for little money.
My first successfully assembled model was the AMT 40 Ford Coupe in black. I swear the black was better plastic too.

Thanks for the long bed tips. There's a mint '66 C10 long bed dealer promo on there now for $200. Out of my price range for a model, that's a good chunk of what I gave for my '66. Of course the promo is finished and mine has "some assembly required".

Last edited by Winola73; 12-30-2009 at 06:30 PM.
Winola73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 05:35 AM   #17
66GMC-Canuck

Do those GMC grills come in a model kit. I see the Chevy truck kit but not the GMC. Where do you get the GMC parts?
Old 12-31-2009, 09:15 AM   #18
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

TwoFiftyShifter, we have a sub-forum here called "Our Stuff...In Scale" If you want me to move this thread over there, just say the word. I would think you'd get a bunch of responses there.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 06:25 PM   #19
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66GMC-Canuck View Post
Do those GMC grills come in a model kit. I see the Chevy truck kit but not the GMC. Where do you get the GMC parts?
I bought them from Modelhaus -

http://www.modelhaus.com/index.php?part=1

They don't have the GMC specific parts listed any longer, but if they still have the molds, I'm sure they'd make what you want, since everything is produced as ordered. Lead time is about 6 weeks, and I've never been disappointed with anything I've purchased from them.

As I mentioned previously, in the past they produced all the parts needed to build an entire long bed fleetside GMC truck. That's how I produced my first 1960 cab. At the time, the AMT 1960 Chevy truck kit was several years in the future - so I bought all the 1960 parts in resin except for the bed, and used the doors, windshield frame and front end from the 1960 resin kit, and the back of the cab and roof from a Revell 1964 Chevy fleetside kit. I was going to use the 1955 Chevy stepside bed, but about that time Revell released the stepside kit so I used that bed and chassis instead.

Perhaps they didn't have enough demand to keep the GMC parts listed, or maybe something happened to the molds. It would be worth talking to them, I don't know of any other supplier for these parts.
Old 12-31-2009, 06:37 PM   #20
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winola73 View Post
My first successfully assembled model was the AMT 40 Ford Coupe in black. I swear the black was better plastic too.
That black 40 Ford coupe kit was my all time favorite. I built many as a kid, but lost interest when they switched to grey plastic. Thank goodness for ebay I now have 6 black kits, two of which are 1960 first issue with all the cool parts and without the funky scoop hole imprinted on the bottom of the hood. As you speculate, the molds were not only new back then, but the plastic was blacker with a smoother finish. With just a minor polish and bare foil they hold a much deeper finish than the plastic in the later releases. It’s hard to photograph a shine, but here’s couple of the early ones:

Old 01-02-2010, 02:04 PM   #21
1962k20

I started building a 60 and added "mad mudder chevy" frame and tires. Looks cool just have to finish,Only been working on it for two winters now. Thanks for the motivatation Im off to finish it this weekend!
1962k20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 02:21 PM   #22
jgh64pkup
Sunburst C10!!!

i need to build one of these
where do i find a short fleet bbw?
Old 01-02-2010, 02:38 PM   #23
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

It doesn't appear the fleetside is currently in production. eBay or a hobby store with old stock might be the best best. Here's one listed on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1964-Chevrolet-F...30205005r31694

Model Roundup might also have stock, they usually have older kits:

http://www.modelroundup.com/
Old 01-02-2010, 02:47 PM   #24
jgh64pkup
Sunburst C10!!!

that model roundup has a 60 fleetside and a the 65 stepper listed above
i guess i could combine the two
http://www.modelroundup.com/mrcategory1033.htm
Old 01-02-2010, 03:01 PM   #25
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

That can be done, but the bed in the 1960 AMT kit is a little less than 1/8" shorter than the fleetside bed in the Revell kit. The frames are also different. No big deal but it would take a bit of fitting to make work. It would be cheaper if you could just find the 64 fleetside kit.

If you get a 65 stepside kit I'm pretty sure I have at least one spare fleetside bed from the 64 kit I could send you for the cost of shipping it. If interested send me a pm. The Revell 64 fleetside and 65 stepside kits are close to the same kit except for the bed, rear bumper, and I think the fleetside frame has different bumper brackets for the back.