The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-29-2019, 09:26 AM   #3601
oldman3

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by idbeast View Post
A major milestone, took the Beast to work today!
Congrats...Jim
oldman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 04:15 PM   #3602
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
A major milestone, took the Beast to work today!
You probably got nothing done at work, just spent the whole day staring out at your cool truck!

In case it's not obvious, my truck is an econo-rod. I like my trucks to be trucks - unadorned and utilitarian, just as they were originally intended. Well that, and I'm a cheapskate too ;-) In that vein, I made some interior door pulls today out of an old leather belt. They work great and they match the rest of the interior. I'll probably replace the bolts with something more decorative eventually.
Attached Images

Last edited by MiraclePieCo; 07-29-2019 at 11:09 PM.
MiraclePieCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 08:06 PM   #3603
idbeast

Thanks Oldman3 and MiraclePieCo. I did go out 1/2 dozen times just to look at it!!!

MiraclePieCo, I envy how your Panel is coming out without spending the large dollars! I look at how much mine has cost and then remind myself that mine is the last thing on my bucket list and that I built it for me with every modern convenience that I could stuff in it, there are not very many people that have the funds to do what I did, and now I don't either!!!!
idbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 11:08 PM   #3604
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
MiraclePieCo, I envy how your Panel is coming out without spending the large dollars! I look at how much mine has cost and then remind myself that mine is the last thing on my bucket list and that I built it for me with every modern convenience that I could stuff in it, there are not very many people that have the funds to do what I did, and now I don't either!!!!
Thanks man. I understand it's your dream truck. Enjoy it to the fullest!
Old 07-30-2019, 12:12 AM   #3605
NorCalGal

That had to make for a long day, just waiting for the day to end so you could drive it home.
Old 07-30-2019, 12:12 AM   #3606
MARTINSR

I got another part bolted on the bed, got the body work done on one of the rear fenders and the other side much closer. Then came home and primed the tail gate hinges.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 01:32 AM   #3607
Johns327

I drove it. After 2.5 years of working on it, it is street legal and I drove it on public streets with other cars. Sat for 28 years in my garage, worked on it for the next 2.5 years with a frame off, and now I can drive it. Still needs the interior done and new rims, but I drove it. Tomorrow off to the alignment shop, and I will drive it there as well. Dang, its my truck again!
Attached Images

Old 07-30-2019, 02:06 AM   #3608
mdpaulson1

Whoo-Hoo! Looks awesome! great to see it on the road again! Happy driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johns327 View Post
I drove it. After 2.5 years of working on it, it is street legal and I drove it on public streets with other cars. Sat for 28 years in my garage, worked on it for the next 2.5 years with a frame off, and now I can drive it. Still needs the interior done and new rims, but I drove it. Tomorrow off to the alignment shop, and I will drive it there as well. Dang, its my truck again!
mdpaulson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 07:05 AM   #3609
DransportGarage

Quote:
Love the ice blue and the Cragars...and everything else! What size wheels/tires do you have on there?
Bob's Retirement Build - My 55 TF
Bob's 700R4 Build (how-to)
DransportGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 09:41 AM   #3610
MARTINSR

Right on John! I read a story in a Rod Action magazine back in the seventies about driving the car you built for the first time and how all the busted knuckles and work is forgotten, isn't that the truth! What a day, how cool is that!

Brian

Old 07-30-2019, 09:49 AM   #3611
oldman3

Big congrats on a job well done, looks great...Jim
Old 07-30-2019, 10:37 AM   #3612
Johns327

Mdpaulson1, Thanks.

Dansportgarage, Thanks. I borrowed the color from Toyota, I think I wear it better. Those aren’t Cragars they are Cal Crome as a kid I had to buy knock offs. The rear are 15x10 the front are 15x6. I narrowed the rear to 56” because when I dropped the truck everything rubbed, also I put on some 4” tubs.

Martinsr, yep this was my High School truck I had a 425 Olds/turbo 400 in it. After busting up a couple of rear ends, blowing the transmissions, and of course the engine I decided the SBC was a better choice since the truck was my daily driver and I need to get to work, daily. So now that it is back on the road it’s way cool.

Oldman3, Thanks.

There are a lot of REALLY nice trucks on this site, great information, lots of inspiration.

John
Old 07-30-2019, 03:27 PM   #3613
jweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo View Post

In case it's not obvious, my truck is an econo-rod. I like my trucks to be trucks - unadorned and utilitarian, just as they were originally intended. Well that, and I'm a cheapskate too ;-) In that vein, I made some interior door pulls today out of an old leather belt. They work great and they match the rest of the interior. I'll probably replace the bolts with something more decorative eventually.
I really like the straps and the armrests are useless anyway. I might have to add some straps to mine.
1953 Westerner "canned ham" trailer, rebuilt
1974 Prowler trailer, rebuilt
jweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 10:12 PM   #3614
MARTINSR

Got five minutes in on my rear fender, that's it, done, I am beat.

Brian

Old 07-31-2019, 06:53 AM   #3615
gigamanx

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Got five minutes in on my rear fender, that's it, done, I am beat.

Brian
Hey that's 5 minutes closer to the end

Build Thread Phase 1 "The Swap": 1949 3100 with S10 swap. Beginner build with ambition!

Build Thread Phase 2 "The Drop": Beginner Build with Ambition gets Air Ride
gigamanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 06:54 AM   #3616
gigamanx

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo View Post
You probably got nothing done at work, just spent the whole day staring out at your cool truck!

That's an awesome idea!

Build Thread Phase 1 "The Swap": 1949 3100 with S10 swap. Beginner build with ambition!

Build Thread Phase 2 "The Drop": Beginner Build with Ambition gets Air Ride
gigamanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 09:52 PM   #3617
MARTINSR

Got the tailgate on the bed, it's ready to put on the truck, if I can get that rear fender done tomorrow so I can get it in primer! Cross your fingers for me guys, I have GOT to get this bed on the truck next week at the latest!

Brian

Old 07-31-2019, 11:24 PM   #3618
oldman3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Got the tailgate on the bed, it's ready to put on the truck, if I can get that rear fender done tomorrow so I can get it in primer! Cross your fingers for me guys, I have GOT to get this bed on the truck next week at the latest!

Brian
Fingers crossed...Jim
Old 07-31-2019, 11:59 PM   #3619
MARTINSR

Thanks Jim

Brian

Old 08-01-2019, 12:06 AM   #3620
evilokc

got back on my vintage air. its completely installed and wired. I have two issue. issue 1) I didn't have enough of the ducting to hook up all of the vents. I left the far side vent (right by passenger door) unhooked. I figured I want all the air on my side. I will get another small section of the ducting and hook that up later. its really a non issue. issue 2) I was planning to run the compressor off its own belt. I have a two row pulley so why not? i measured and went to the parts store got my belt and installed it. it was a little short. it would work but i would prefer it be longer. the real issue though was that a bolt on the alternator bracket is in the way. its a small button head bolt. i decided to avoid this belt shredding bolt i would just run all of my stuff off the one belt. well a 59 inch belt isn't common. i can special order it. the other option is to remove the alternator bracket and counter sink the bolt. i have a drill press. im leaning more toward this for two reasons. if the 59 inch belt is hard to find what happens when it breaks and im not close to home? i leave the truck on the side of the road for two days while they order it unless its a weekend then its longer. the shorter belt can be had anywhere. reason two is that im afraid im going to have a lot of belt slip with a belt that long and no belt tensioner. so i guess its going to have to be counter sunk. really isn't that much work i just didn't want to do extra work. i can start the evacuation while i work on the bracket i guess. vintage air says you have to evacuate the system for 45 minutes and you are really supposed to let the system sit under vacuum for an hour before you charge it. so i can have all of that happening while i modify the bracket. sounds like a plan.
evilokc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 08:46 AM   #3621
my56chevytruck

Quote:
What a cool day to finally drive that nice truck. Sure looks great as is. what wheels/tires are you changing to? Like those cragars
my56chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 01:04 PM   #3622
Johns327

My56chevytruck,Thank you.
Those rims are a Cragar knock offs by Cal Chrome, back in 1976 I didn’t have the money for the real deal.
I want to keep to the 15” wheel size. When I started the build I was thinking chrome reverse and moon caps, old school. Then I was thinking getting the existing re-chromed but I can buy Cragars for that cost so I put Cragars on my list of choices. Then I started looking a US mag with dark centers. It’s all still up in the air. I tubed the truck and narrowed the rear end so I can go wider. Those are 15x10, with 295/50/15 on them. Fits real well, but hey if you can wider, why not. May end up 15x11 and some of those M/T on it. Tires and wheel will be the last thing sense those are all new rubber. Getting my AC hoses in and the interior is top of the list. Maybe some pin stripping.
If I go burn the tires off, that would move them up... good thing I put a line lock in it.
John
Old 08-01-2019, 07:04 PM   #3623
mick53

Quote:
Thanks Oldman3 and MiraclePieCo. I did go out 1/2 dozen times just to look at it!!!

I have postponed my retirement for 2 years so far to be able to do my truck the way I have been dreaming about for 40 years.
mick53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 10:28 PM   #3624
MARTINSR

Got the fenders in polyester primer WHOOO HOOOOO!

Brian
Attached Images

Old 08-02-2019, 10:25 PM   #3625
MARTINSR

They may not look different from the last photo but I got them blocked and primed in epoxy today, WHOO HOOOO! Ready to bolt the bed and fenders on to tow it to Idaho.

Brian
Attached Images