The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-13-2022, 12:26 PM   #151
pjmoreland

Re: Boyd Tank Installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmech View Post
Cross your fingers
Yep.

I was planning on installing a couple of bulkhead stud connectors on the top plate of the fuel pump assembly, and I may still do that eventually. Boyd told me they would provide me no more support if I modify their product, so I'm holding off on that modification for now. I think another solution would be to replace the pump with one that does not have a connector installed on the wires inside the tank, assuming Aeromotive does a good job of sealing the ends of the wires down inside the pump.
pjmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 12:33 PM   #152
kwmech

"Boyd told me they would provide me no more support if I modify their product, so I'm holding off on that modification for now."

I had a vendor tell me the same thing about 15 years ago with a differential. I went ahead and modified it and fixed the problem. Customer is still running it to this day. Vendor had other complaints and fixed their problem by doing the same thing I did....go figure.
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 05:03 PM   #153
pjmoreland

I added a time delay relay to my fuel pump wiring to run it for a few seconds when the key is turned to the run position. This will help to prime the carb bowls. I have noticed that the engine takes a bit longer to start if my truck has been sitting for a few weeks. I'm assuming this is from the fuel evaporating out of the carb.
Attached Images

Old 12-09-2022, 01:31 PM   #154
pjmoreland

I made some modifications to the way the time delay relay is wired. This eliminated the need for a diode. I had a diode in there because I installed a mini starter a few months ago that doesn't have an Ignition terminal on the solenoid so I had to attach the yellow wire to the Start terminal along with the purple wire. Without a diode, the 12V from the time delay relay would have back-fed to the starter, which would have activated the solenoid. Now the fuel pump relay activation signal passes through the Normally Open circuit of the time delay relay after the time delay relay finishes priming the pump and closes.

It would be better to have the FV7 safety switch wired between the two relays since right now the time delay relay bypasses the safety switch for five seconds during startup. I'm not too worried about this from a safety standpoint, but it could make it a challenge to debug the system if that safety switch ever trips inadvertently. In that situation the fuel pump would still run for five seconds, but it would not run once the engine started.
Attached Images

Last edited by pjmoreland; 12-09-2022 at 01:55 PM.
Old 12-14-2022, 06:50 AM   #155
PowerdbyChevy79

Wow, I've never seen this issue before with the Boyd's tanks...Following to see what the outcome is...
Great attention to detail, I am enjoying your work.
1979 C10 Silverado "The BIG TEN" https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=841339
1982 C10 Silverado "Lucy"
C10 Club Texas -HMIC
PowerdbyChevy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 12:06 PM   #156
pjmoreland

I forgot to report that I filled my tank with the restrictor installed, and the fuel dispenser did stop when the fuel level reached the bottom of the restrictor. The tank did not leak.
Old 12-15-2022, 02:55 AM   #157
pjmoreland

I reinstalled the roll-over safety valve on the tank vent. I had replaced it with a regular open fitting previously thinking that maybe the valve was trapping pressure in the tank and causing the leak. This doesn't appear to be the case, so I figured it made sense to put it back on.
Old 09-01-2023, 03:51 PM   #158
Rich rodriguez

Nice work! Just ordered a set of stainless line from SS tube I'm also going to use the fuel tank mounting bolts I purchase from you a while back.
Rich rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 04:46 PM   #159
pjmoreland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich rodriguez View Post
Nice work! Just ordered a set of stainless line from SS tube I'm also going to use the fuel tank mounting bolts I purchase from you a while back.
I think you'll like it. The stainless version wasn't available when I ordered my lines. I should have waited. All of my brake lines are stainless.