The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-01-2005, 04:28 AM   #151
kbs71
71 rustless in texas

Re: Headlight relay install You Gatta do it.

I forgot, it took me about 3 hrs to solder and make up the harness and about 2 hrs to install that was using all the parts I listed and bulk wiring. I also used from MAD http://www.madelectrical.com/catalog/cn-1.shtml P/N CN-1 $6.99 each. Get several of these they work great under the dash on the fire wall etc.

"No one really listens to anyone else, and if you try it for a while you'll see why"

71 C-10 LWB presently in a perpetual state of disassembly
'96 Toyota (my work car)
'04 Mustang Convertable (wife's car & other money pit)
Latest aquesition and why my trucks still in the garage covered with junk..
2010 Aqua Blue metallic 6 speed Manual LS3 2SS/RS Camaro (I want one of these in my truck

FAQ here

VENDORS here

SUPPORT THE BOARD here

My second favorite SITE
kbs71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 12:49 PM   #152
RicksTrucks

Spent some time going through this thread and am totally confused? Are H3 the normal three prong headlights and H4 the fancier ones (non-stock plugs). The halogens that I am using are H6024 which are three prong. So which Summit part number would I use to stay with the bulbs I have?

I would like to see the following responses in one post, if possible, part numbers for the following:

1.) Complete harness, no splicing
2.) Harness, splice in my plugs
70 LWB C-20 BB402
70 LWB C-10 CST
70 LWB C-10 CST
71 Short Stepside Cheyenne C-10
72 LWB C-10
72 Blazer 4x4 4spd
95 Jeep Cherokee 4x4
RicksTrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 12:56 PM   #153
Bill72BB
Thats the Hillbilly way

The Summit AMC-509102 is the no brainer way to do it using H4 bulbs ,just install it and plug it into your existing Headlight bulb socket .

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicksTrucks
Spent some time going through this thread and am totally confused? Are H3 the normal three prong headlights and H4 the fancier ones (non-stock plugs). The halogens that I am using are H6024 which are three prong. So which Summit part number would I use to stay with the bulbs I have?

I would like to see the following responses in one post, if possible, part numbers for the following:

1.) Complete harness, no splicing
2.) Harness, splice in my plugs
Member Old Farts Club
72 3/4ton Custom Camper BB402/400 trans Dynomax Cerama-coat headers , Hei distributor ,Edelbrock 1411 air,ps,pb,leafsprings ,98 chevy 60/40 seat,S10 shoulder belts
tilt,3.54 Dana 60 rear. 16" Eagle wheels with LT265/75 16 tires,Gaylord Lid,H4 headlights with 100W relay conversion.

" If I knew I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself "
Marriage changes passion...suddenly you're in bed with a relative. A GUY'S PRAYER....

Lord, I pray for a nympho with huge boobs who owns a liquor store and likes to fish and hunt and has a Harley .Amen ,
Bill72BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 01:00 PM   #154
70rs/ss

I followed along and was a little confused, but what I think is that the H3, H4 and the 6024 all take the 3 prong plug.

Upgrade wire kit - part # AMC-509102 for use with a two bulb H4 set up
Head lamp replacement (Hellas) part # HLA-70477
55 watt low/100 watt high beam bulbs part # HLA-78158

These are the part #'s as they appeared on pg 5 I think good luck.
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 07:13 AM   #155
kbs71
71 rustless in texas

The H3 bulbs are for single element lights ie; seperate hi/lo beams like the GMC's have. The H4 and the sealed beams that came with the trucks wheather its a normal sealed beam or a halogen sealed beam use the same socket so they are interchangable. When you start getting into the 9000 series they are all of the newer "weather resistant" type connectors from the later 80's and up. You can get and install a harness with the 9000 type socket and just run that type bulb in the H4 lens assy if you wanted. But I don't know why you'd want to.
It's easier just to use your origional socket take a small screw driver and insert it into the end the that the blade from the bulb slides into the terminal to release the small clip that holds the terminal in place. Pull the wire and terminal out, then replace it with a new one. This is if your building your own or the wires on your kit are too long , or you get the wrong kit and just want to try and use it with new terminal ends. By the way the 5/16" terminals arn't readily available over the counter. I tried every where to find them and finally had to order them from Ron Francis. He was the only one I've found that carries them. The 1/4" one can be had at NAPA and are eassily found on the internet, they are used everywhere else I've looked on my truck for the female terminal end, and I've replaced a lot of terminals. Oh if your headlight sockets are burnt up or the terminals don't lock in place because the sockets worn out, just go to any auto parts store and look for one. Auto Zone, NAPA, they all carry it. Here's the link to Auto Zones web page http://www1.autozone.com/servlet/UiB...ction=loadPage P/N 85810 for $2.99 each. Or you can splice the wire but that looks cheezy to me. If your gonna do it then do it right. Electrical work isn't hard it just takes a little practice and patience.

"No one really listens to anyone else, and if you try it for a while you'll see why"

'96 Toyota (my work car)
2010 Aqua Blue metallic 6 speed Manual LS3 2SS/RS Camaro (I want one of these in my truck

FAQ here

VENDORS here

SUPPORT THE BOARD here

My second favorite SITE
Old 12-02-2005, 07:46 AM   #156
kbs71
71 rustless in texas

I really need to start reviewing these before I post them. The H6024 or 6014 bulbs are seald beams. In other words the bulb and lens are one assembly. Whereas the H4 lens and its corresponding H4 bulb listed under dozen of P/N depending on what wattage and manufacturer you choose are seperate. The H4 designator stands for a design type. The lens is installed like your regular sealed beam headlight. On our trucks you have to trim out the headlight bucket for the back of the lens to fit. Then you just have to replace the bulb itself when it blows out. The bulb comes in a multitude of diffrent wattages. If you look a this web site http://68.178.186.238/ it explains a lot.

'96 Toyota (my work car)

FAQ here

VENDORS here

SUPPORT THE BOARD here

My second favorite SITE
Old 12-02-2005, 10:29 AM   #157
72longbed
Account Suspended

Thumbs up Re: Headlight relay install You Gatta do it.

Maybe this will help:
Last night I installed the AMC#509102 in my 72 front clip. I thought all connections would start at the drivers side and work over to the battery side, but NO, I had to hook up the relays on the Pass. side inner fender and work from that side over to the drivers side. Because of the way the #509102 is assembled, you must plug the Pass side headlight socket into the new harness. Being electrically 'challenged' as I am, I didn't think it would work that way, but guess what.... it works! The lights are noticibly brighter (Sylvania ? Vision Stock Type sealed beams), on both low beam and high.

Hopefully the way I wired it up won't burn my truck to the ground.

72longbed
72longbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 10:36 AM   #158
Bill72BB
Thats the Hillbilly way

Just like you said that was how I wired mine ,the harness does require that the relay's and plug go on the passenger side .
Mine hasn't burn to the ground either .

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72longbed
Maybe this will help:
Last night I installed the AMC#509102 in my 72 front clip. I thought all connections would start at the drivers side and work over to the battery side, but NO, I had to hook up the relays on the Pass. side inner fender and work from that side over to the drivers side. Because of the way the #509102 is assembled, you must plug the Pass side headlight socket into the new harness. Being electrically 'challenged' as I am, I didn't think it would work that way, but guess what.... it works! The lights are noticibly brighter (Sylvania ? Vision Stock Type sealed beams), on both low beam and high.

Hopefully the way I wired it up won't burn my truck to the ground.

72longbed
Member Old Farts Club
72 3/4ton Custom Camper BB402/400 trans Dynomax Cerama-coat headers , Hei distributor ,Edelbrock 1411 air,ps,pb,leafsprings ,98 chevy 60/40 seat,S10 shoulder belts
tilt,3.54 Dana 60 rear. 16" Eagle wheels with LT265/75 16 tires,Gaylord Lid,H4 headlights with 100W relay conversion.

" If I knew I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself "
Marriage changes passion...suddenly you're in bed with a relative. A GUY'S PRAYER....

Lord, I pray for a nympho with huge boobs who owns a liquor store and likes to fish and hunt and has a Harley .Amen ,
Bill72BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 12:40 AM   #159
matt67350

I did a FAQ on the relay install.
Add to it, or correct it if its wrong.
thanks,
Matthew
Old 02-29-2008, 10:19 PM   #160
TonyJohnson

AMC#509102 is no longer available from summit or anywhere else I can find... 8^<
Old 02-29-2008, 11:04 PM   #161
Andy4639
Old member

Here are some other topics with info about relays.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...adlight+relays

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...adlight+relays

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote