The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-22-2008, 06:25 PM   #26
LOW DOUGH
I'M TRUCK CRAZY!

Re: Oldest pictures you have of your truck

This is the oldes digital pic I have of my 71 C10. This is about 7 years after i got it. I have other pics of this truck and other cars , but nothing digital. I would have to scan them.
Attached Images

Last edited by LOW DOUGH; 12-22-2008 at 06:26 PM.
LOW DOUGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 07:05 PM   #27
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

This one here is a 1991 K3500 Eagle Claw tow truck the old man bought in early 1991. The first two pictures are when it was only a few months old but already had some scratches on the stinger. What a POS this truck was. An IFS 4x4 certainly does not make for a good tow truck especially on that only has a wheel lift. Maybe if it had a sling it would have been alright but anything more than a mini truck on the back caused from front wheels to hop off the ground. Very dangerous truck to drive when loaded as it was hard to stop and the front wheels plowed instead of steered. At about 10,000 miles the front upper control arm bracket broke clean off the frame. No wonder why most tow trucks are Fords these days. The GM 4x4 torsion bar IFS HD truck suspension sucks.

Unfortunately, or fortunately, the truck died at an early age of 19,000 miles and only a year and a half old. I got rear-ended by a semi on I-25 while stopped in traffic and blasted the car in front of me. Dad wasn’t too happy but at least it wasn’t my fault. The pictures don’t look bad but the towing boom pushed the frame straight down and even snapped the transfercase in half. It was a mess. The insurance company totaled it. Dad ordered a 1992 GMC C6500 with a 7.4L and 6 speed with a Century bed with a sling and wheel lift but couldn’t take delivery of it as things got rough in the early 90’s much like how they are today so the 1991 was never replaced. The ’78 K20 carried on daily towing duties right up until dad closed the shop in 1998. I had already moved to Detroit by then. Glad I was gone and didn't see the demise of the shop. Long story.

After wreck

DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 08:39 PM   #28
Dooley

Of what vehicles I still own this would be the oldest pic,(over 20 years ago!), of my 1988 2dr regular cab V30 pickup taken in 1988 with my old truck cover.
Attached Images

Dooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 11:01 AM   #29
special-K
Special Order

Where`s everybody else`s pictures?Try to sell apart w/o a picture,they`ll drive you crazy.Post a picture thread and ?Go figure.I`d rather look at members trucks than a picture of a dash knob.

Larry,sorry to hear about the staion going down.I started out wanting to own a staion one day.Then,things changed making it harder for staion owners to make out.And,I recall the economic slump in`91.Housing starts just this week dropped to the level it was in`91.That`s hard to believe when I`ve been hurtin`for two years,I`ve seen a couple houses a year go up in a development that was building 10 at a time.My town became "the" place to build.So,it`s alright with me.But,in 91/92 I had no problems and business was as usually (I don`t do production housing).Matter of fact,I took advantage of the slump and ordered my`92 in January and got a factory order $26,000 truck on the road for $20,500.

Here are some more:

My`61 Champ I had around 76/77 when I lived in Fortuna,CA.A traded labor with a painter and this is with fresh paint.It had a 259 V8 & a 3spd+o/d.The plan was to put 4wd under it but I didn`t hand around long enough to see it through.I sold it when I knew I was leaving town.The new owner rolled it driving drunk about 2 weeks after I sold it:

The`72 Blazer I had in`82 or so.It had some cool offroad accessories,like tire carrier,chrome smoothies,dual auxilary tanks,roll bar,steel security console,skid-plates,and a Desert Dynamics winch.I was originally from New Mexico.Unfortunately the owners moved to Virginia and fell in love with beach driving on Assateague Island.Hence the rust:

I don`t think I ever showed this.It`s a`69 K/20 I had a short while.I brought it from CA and fixed it up to sell after more orange paint:

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 11:08 AM   #30
vectorit
What?

Here is another old one of the burb at the family's favorite camp ground back in the 1970's
Attached Images

vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 01:03 PM   #31
DirtyLarry

Damn, Tim….you have owned just about everything A lot of cool stuff you have had over the years. That Studebaker is something you don’t see every day.

Here is a 1970 C10 I traded a TH400 transmission for my junior year of High School. It didn’t have an engine so I bought a wrecked impala (the one in the pictures above being rolled over) for a $100 then threw that engine in the truck. That summer I took an auto body class at the community college where they basically teach you whatever need for whatever project you bring in. The class ended before I got to paint it so I ended up painting it on my own at my dad’s shop. It turned out pretty nice for a 18 year kid doing it.

It was originally a 402 with a SM465 and a coil sprung Dana 44 rear axle. Don't see many Dana 44's hung by coils in a Chevy.

After paint. (Yep, my GMC had a white stripe and a '67 front clip for a few years).

Picture taken on a Pheasant hunting trip.

Then sold it for $1800 one morning (that was big profit for a high scholol kid in 1991 for a 1970 C10) and bought a ’72 Blazer the same day. Same color too. The Blazer is the rig I really miss.

Old 12-23-2008, 01:41 PM   #32
special-K
Special Order

I guess I`ve been sick on trucks for awhile.Is it starting to show?
You know,when you showed yourself pulling that car over I meant to say you were likely robbing parts.That`s my style,too.Roll`em over and pull out the torches.That`95 I totalled got the roll-over treatment.We had the rear w/springs,trans/t-case,and mandrel exhaust out in a half hour.
That Stude was pretty cool.But,I wish it had the stepside bed.That was the same bed that was on the previous body style with fenders moulded into the side.The widebeds looked like they belonged on something else,didn`t they?My girlfriend had horses and I`d tow them with the Studey out to the beach to ride.Talk about wishing you could go back in time.Look up where Petrolia,CA is.It was an early oil boom town and nothing else out there...no people.

Here are some you all my have seen already:

`71 CustomCamper:

`70 CustomCamper turned work truck:

`72 Highlander when I first got it in`04:

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 12-23-2008, 02:06 PM   #33
DirtyLarry

Yeah, those Stude fenders don’t look quite right. Man, I would love to have a Highlander.

Dude, how many trucks have you owned over the years? I think I was born with the GM truck fetish too.

Here are a few more of the ’72 Blazer from the early 90’s.

Only picture I have of the fancy grill treatment. I placed ¼ masking tape across all the vertical bars then painted the grill satin black. Once you remove the tape it looks like a billet grill! Going to do this to the ’72 I have now sometime.

Can you believe I sold the Blazer for this?? The yota was a good truck though and I needed something economical to drive in college. Plus my girlfriend (now wife) lived 50 miles away. Sold this truck in 1996 and bought the ’78 K10 that I still have.

Cool picture of the sand dunes near Alamosa, CO
Old 12-23-2008, 05:07 PM   #34
special-K
Special Order

Those little Yotas have proven themselves.I`d own one.I was hard headed about anything but GM until recently.With US makers intertwined with foriegn it all seems futile anymore.I do still only own GMs,though.I like that grille treatment and the Blazer.And,especially where you get to be driving all your stuff.
I always liked trucks as well as cars.But,once I went to some really cool places where the right truck really matter,I really fell for trucks all out.I`ve had at least a couple at any time.I`d drive something somewhere then couldn`t resist picking up local trucks.Then,when I`d travel back home(for whatever reason) I`d have to unload what I bought.I wanted to bring trucks back.So,when I met my wife and got stuck here for awhile I started finding trucks and bringing one back every now and then,as well as what I found more local.When I was in Flagstaff I went total truck junky.I found some around the area and in the Phoenix Truck Locator.Blazers and trucks for $1,500-$3,000 all day long.I ended up with a couple Chevy 4wds.I drove a `69 Dodge W200 out there and came back in it because everyone wanted the Chevys...go figure.Then I got hit head-on a few months after I got back.I don`t like wrecking,but if that had happened in AZ I would have come home in the`71 Chevy.The plan was to replace the Dodge with the`71.I tryed that Dodge because it was tough and different.But,that was it for me and Dodges.It was a good truck,NP is NP and Dana is Dana.318s were good motors,too.The main thing I didn`t like was parts support Mopar sucked for that and so little aftermarket.It sat 3 times for over a month waiting for factory-only parts.And it was only 8 years old when I bought it.

Tim

Last edited by special-K; 12-23-2008 at 05:10 PM.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:04 PM   #35
vectorit
What?

Here are a couple:
My 1st yota, a 1983 that was one great off roader! I bought it after a long talk with my Father, when I was complaining about fuel costs driving to work and back in the 77 K10 I had at the time. His selling point was that I could still go off roading in a yota, and I would have enough cash to go on all the hunting trips I was going on at the time. So I sucked it up and went and found this 83, and I really liked the truck and have sworn by them ever since. I am still a Chevy man through and through, but when you are scrapping by on cash you can't beat em. Plus the little trucks are easier to get deeper into the woods on narrow trails, something that the full size truck could not do at all. Today I have an 02 Tacoma along with my burb, and when I looked at the build sheet on the Tacoma... The frame is made by Dana spicer, and the truck was assembled at the same plant my 68 burb was built in Freemont California.
The 1968 elCamino was an awesome car/truck! I miss it to this day. It was my DD and parts getter when I was tearing down and putting together the burb, and when I sold it years ago I sold it minus the motor for 2,500 bucks, something that I thought was pretty good statement as to how much the elco's are sought-after.
Attached Images

Old 12-24-2008, 01:16 AM   #36
DirtyLarry

Hey Vectorit,

I’d take that Toyota and El Camino right now in a heartbeat. Both nice rigs. That is pretty cool that the Burb and Taco came from Freemont assembly. My yota was a Freemont rig also. I guess most were. I would love to build a 4 Runner or a Hilux/Tacoma for the trails. I am not digging what Toyota did to the Tacoma with the latest version that came out 2005. They pretty much ruined it in my opinion. Although there was as nice one at SEMA this year. It had a manual shift transfercase, SFA and full floating rear axle from a Land Cruiser. Let me know if you haven't seen it and I'll shoot you a link. If Toyota brings that one to production it maybe my next truck purchase.
Old 12-24-2008, 01:28 AM   #37
vectorit
What?

I'm with you on the new model taco's... they turned it into sudo big truck. I always liked the hilux model all the way up to the last small taco model, what made em attractive to me all along was that they are small and tough. Now they are a big-er truck, which if I were to buy another I would buy a Chevy if I had to buy new.
I owned a 86 4runner and it was one of the biggest dissapointments I ever had in the truck lines I have owned, and couldn't wait to dump it for something better. I traded it at a used car dealer for a 96 taco, which was very cool but you could tell it led a hard life. If I was to get another 4runner it would only be the straight axle model, which I think was 84 or 85? then you could have a nice set up.
Yea, send me the link! I'd like to see whats up on the taco & SEMA set up stuff.
Old 12-24-2008, 01:42 AM   #38
DirtyLarry

Check it out. Pretty sweet truck with the 80’s paint scheme and interior (literally, they found seat fabric material from the 80’s to use in this truck). GM would never have the balls to build a nice off roader, with a SFA, manual shift tcase, full floating rear axle in a small truck like this. Look at Hummer, now there is a disappointment and a waste of company revenue.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2008/11...008-tacom.html

Back to the old rigs…. Here is my ’72 C20 the day I brought it home in 2002. It actually looks worse nowadays but as of a few weeks ago it got infused with a TBI 5.7L and 700R4. At least, powertrain wise, it is good to go.

Freshly installed engine as of 11-08. Runs great!
Here is the story behind the swap. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=306106
Old 12-24-2008, 01:57 AM   #39
vectorit
What?

I like the concept truck alot minus the interior, since it has the solid axle up front! I only hope they shrink the body down, and make it more like what they were going for as in the mid 80's rig. Since trying to compete with the American pickup 4x4's is a losing battle IMO.
They need to stay with the small 4x4 rig they had back in the Hi-Lux days...
Oh, and they better make it with a manual gear box! Since the yota auto has always sucked. Plus I prefer the manuals in the small trucks... Heck I had to search high and low for a manual in my 02 taco, but now that I am interested in upgrading the suspension I am finding the the IFS is uh well in one word bad.
But I do love the auto rear locker rear end, and it would be awesome in the new truck if they offered front and rear on-demand lockers.
Old 12-24-2008, 02:20 AM   #40
DirtyLarry

Yeah, I hear you on the manuals. I am a manual lover too and they are getting harder and harder to find due to people not wanting them or knowing how to drive them. Believe it or not, emissions play a big part of the manuals disappearing as well.

Funny story with this new/old 1998 Z71 here. This is the first vehicle I ever bought new. I lived in Detroit at the time and was ready for my first new rig so I wouldn’t have to drive my K10 in the salty Detroit winters. GM was offering one heck of an employee discount on the old GMT400 trucks as the new GMT800’s were ramping up. I worked in Tech Assist where you talk on the phone all day helping dealers fix problems after problems. Well, I knew I didn’t want a 4L60E nor did I want the electric shift 4wd as that was the lion share of the problem calls coming into my group at the time so I was 100% dead set on a manual trans, which includes the manual shift tcase (automatic trans equipped trucks at the time were all generated with NP2 electric shift tcase). You know I could not find a manual anywhere in the state of MI, IN, OH, IL….nothing. Did a search of my hometown dealer in Pueblo and he had 5 of them. So I bought it and flew home to get it then drove it back to MI. The funny thing it was built in Pontiac and I lived in Rochester at the time, which is only a few miles away from each other. I hated the color but it was the only one with bucket seats.

It was a great truck but once I moved back west I was anxious to ditch it being it had already started to blossom rust spots under the hood and door seals in only 3 years. That road salt is bad news! So, I traded it for a 2001 Silverado HD right after 911 when GM first started offering 0% interest. Hehe….got that one from the same dealer with a manual trans and manual tcase as well.

2001 Silvy. It still has the airbag thing hanging out of the glovebox even still tonight. She is a low mileage garage queen.

Old 12-24-2008, 02:24 AM   #41
vectorit
What?

he he last picture is so true...
Old 12-24-2008, 09:25 AM   #42
special-K
Special Order

Larry,I may have had quantity.But my man here,Vectorit,you`ve got me beat with that one Suburban.That`s so rich that you have that still.It doesn`t get any better than that.
And,the`Yotas definately have thier place.They`ve earned their respect against many a buy American attitude.I regret they`ve become so Americanized.It was always their 3rd world flavor that appealed to me.There was no American counterpart at first and the S10 is just not quite the same.Great little truck,don`t get me wrong.But,not the traditional truck in a mini package that the Yotys were.Now,they are just another choice of the same ole thing everyone offers.I bought my wife a new Samurai in`87 to drive to nursing school for the same reasons.It had a 3rd world appeal,nothing American to compare,and it still had round headlights and a carburator.People said,"what about Jeeps?".They ate more than twice the gas,cost twice as much,and had started getting away from the simple rigs they once were,yet still not so comfy.The hard top cost extra and we bought the hard top Zuki with a/c.Once she graduated I went out and bought the`90 Blazer,that we really wanted.The plan was to make the Zuki a trail rig,but needed the scratch to get into the Blazer.I could use a 3rd world rig about now.

`68 Custom/10 put together from various trucks and painted simular to a 50th Anniversary.

`71 K/5 back in`84:

`70 CustomCamper/30 in better condition:

Tim

Last edited by special-K; 12-24-2008 at 11:57 AM.
Old 12-25-2008, 07:54 AM   #43
special-K
Special Order

I`m a shifty character,too.Guys see I have a 5spd in my`92 and say,"I didn`t know they still made stick shifts".I ordered everything I could possible want on that truck.Saved $1,000 wanting a 5spd and I would have paid $1,000 if it was an option.Prolly the way it`ll end up.The red Blazer was a 4spd.Every vehicle my wife drove was manual until she got a Cherokee.Hmmm...funny,that`s the vehicle she left in.My daughter has is on her second car.Both have been 5spds.She started with a used Prelude on her 16th birthday.My older son started out in a`65 Biscayne wagon w/3 on the tree.My youngest is 16 and his little Nissan truck is a 5spd.All my kids learned to drive with both feet and hands.

I can`t believe I haven`t show one of my favorite pictures.Life was good:

Tim

Old 01-21-2021, 05:22 PM   #44
Greg58

Hello, I know I'm reviving a really old thread, but it may fit.
My wife was cleaning out a closet the other day, and found an old Pic of my first Chevy pickup taken in about 1981.
1987 Chevy Suburban 2500, Silverado, 2wd, 454, t-400
2023 Chevy Silverado LT 3500, crew cab, longbox, 4x4 Z-71 Duramax.
Greg58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 05:30 PM   #45
Greg58

It was a 66 C10 custom, with 327 4bbl, 4 speed, BBW, I loved it but the rust really started getting bad so I sold it to my cousin who drove it to high school for a while.
I think I bought a 73 Ford F-250 after this truck.
1987 Chevy Suburban 2500, Silverado, 2wd, 454, t-400
2023 Chevy Silverado LT 3500, crew cab, longbox, 4x4 Z-71 Duramax.
Greg58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 01:14 PM   #46
61_FL_Apache
Who Me?

This was so old, I didnt even own it yet.

1997 Tahoe LT 4D 2WD (DD)
1961 Apache 10 (sold)
1965 C10 Stepper (sold)
61_FL_Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 01:28 PM   #47
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Oldest one I have of the 81, March 2014. This is when the guy I got it from was starting the bodywork/repaint.
Attached Images

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 04:04 PM   #48
Keith Seymore

Brand new. Prob only a day or two old.

October of 1986 (1987 model year).

K
Attached Images

1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 01-23-2021 at 07:58 PM.
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 11:30 AM   #49
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Oldest pictures you have of your truck

This was right after the repaint in 86. This was the following winter. The summer of 86 I spent 12 weeks in Charlotte NC at training center for my job.
While in training I had the truck repainted inside & out by a good friend in Terrell NC who at the time was a painter for Duke Power the same company I worked for. We changed the color from the factory Olive Green to the 86 Camaro Iroc red.
The last picture is what it looked like before but this was a picture off the internet. I hated the color and never took any pictures of it until I had it painted.
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 03:55 PM   #50
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

My truck well over 12 years ago when I got it. I swapped my clapped out rusty 70 C10 shortbed for it.

It looks pretty much the same today. But it runs a lot better. I like it as is.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote