The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-02-2021, 09:30 AM   #26
kev2809
low n' slo

Re: I give up on shipping anything USPS

i totally agree with you. but just like anything with progress, they should expand to keep up. shopping from home and these big packages are only going to grow in numbers

-_--_--_ _________
_--_-_ -/____|__|__\__
,.,,,.,.,,.,|_O _______ O_]
kev2809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 09:33 AM   #27
special-K
Special Order

Good points, ChevyRacefan

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 01-02-2021 at 09:58 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 09:52 AM   #28
ChevyRacefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev2809 View Post
i totally agree with you. but just like anything with progress, they should expand to keep up. shopping from home and these big packages are only going to grow in numbers
If it was a private business, it have been done.
But the red tape in making this happen because it isn't a private business is the problem. Moving to a bigger warehouse or building a new postal hub, is costly, They are strapped with a limited budget.
Everyone thinks because it is a government dept. they have unlimited funds.
ChevyRacefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 12:49 PM   #29
1976gmc20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyRacefan View Post
We live in the walmart world.
USPS is no different.
Autoparts stores, anything really, died as people shopped price and not service.
USPS could have great service, but YOU would not pay for it. I mean the outrage when they up the stamp cost a penny.
A 14.99 if it fits it ships package, if it went ups or fed ex is 25-35 bucks.

I think the reason packages are going way out of the way on their journey is the postal hubs don't have the dock/warehouse space to separate the volume they are moving, so whole pallets get stuffed on a truck to get it out of the way for now. so your package takes the long way home.
The fix is costly, as more and more shop from home. they need bigger postal hubs.
No one wants to pay for the cost of upgrade the service that was set up for small mail letters and a small % of packages,, to what we have today, less small mail and mostly packages.
Just my 2 cents.
So it really is true that the extra cost for postage is for "storage"

We could have driven about twice as far and sent papers by Fedex for more money, but the "overnight" from here to Colorado last fall took four days and the title company had to call and yell at them to get them to deliver it after hours after they failed to put it on the truck and let it sit at the airport facility all day That was after they threw the outgoing package in the weeds down at our gate
1958 Chevy C-60; 1965 GMC C-50; 1965 Chevy C-10; 1971 Chevy K-10; 1973 Chevy K-20; 1976 GMC C-20; 1977 Chevy C-10 Suburban; 1980 Chevy K-10; 1989 Chevy K1500; 1991 GMC V1500 Suburban; 2016 Chevy K2500 HD

Other vehicles: 1988 Jeep XJ; 2011 Toyota 4Runner
1976gmc20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 01:06 PM   #30
ChevyRacefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1976gmc20 View Post
So it really is true that the extra cost for postage is for "storage"

We could have driven about twice as far and sent papers by Fedex for more money, but the "overnight" from here to Colorado last fall took four days and the title company had to call and yell at them to get them to deliver it after hours after they failed to put it on the truck and let it sit at the airport facility all day That was after they threw the outgoing package in the weeds down at our gate
Ya, that doesn't sound fun.
FAX to hitech? or not allowed in this case.
Old 01-02-2021, 02:42 PM   #31
1976gmc20

Quote:
Ya, that doesn't sound fun.
FAX to hitech? or not allowed in this case.
Well, we could have scanned and emailed back as an attachment, but the title company didn't seem to want to do that. They paid the "overnight" both ways (included a prepaid Fedex return envelope). I guess they never expected so many problems. But it wasn't just Montana - the return package got hung up in Memphis for several days

Most of it had to be notarized of course.

At least it didn't crash in the middle of the Pacific
1958 Chevy C-60; 1965 GMC C-50; 1965 Chevy C-10; 1971 Chevy K-10; 1973 Chevy K-20; 1976 GMC C-20; 1977 Chevy C-10 Suburban; 1980 Chevy K-10; 1989 Chevy K1500; 1991 GMC V1500 Suburban; 2016 Chevy K2500 HD

Old 01-02-2021, 04:10 PM   #32
Indian113

My wife made some candy for her sister in Iowa for Christmas because she was working in Virginia Beach at the time she mailed it with our Iowa address on it for a return address. She paid $15.00 to ship USPS Priority 3 day! The clerk transposed a number and shipped it to another town and it took three weeks to get shipped to our Iowa House as a non deliverable package that had the correct address on it. My daughter took it too her Aunts house and it was still good.
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 04:34 PM   #33
60case

My sister mailed me a Christmas card on Dec 9 It showed up today Jan 2 She lives 8 miles from me
60case is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 08:14 PM   #34
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Quote:
USPS is no different.
Autoparts stores, anything really, died as people shopped price and not service.
USPS could have great service, but YOU would not pay for it. I mean the outrage when they up the stamp cost a penny.
A 14.99 if it fits it ships package, if it went ups or fed ex is 25-35 bucks.

I think the reason packages are going way out of the way on their journey is the postal hubs don't have the dock/warehouse space to separate the volume they are moving, so whole pallets get stuffed on a truck to get it out of the way for now. so your package takes the long way home.
The fix is costly, as more and more shop from home. they need bigger postal hubs.
No one wants to pay for the cost of upgrade the service that was set up for small mail letters and a small % of packages,, to what we have today, less small mail and mostly packages.
Just my 2 cents.
The real problem is that it's a government agency. For most of it's existence there was little to no competition. So, just like the BMV, they don't understand the concept of customer service.
Package delivery services came along and started dealing with bigger items and guaranteed speed and then tracking. It cost more, but for times of need, people would pay it.
USPS could cut well into their volume problem by cutting out the "junk mail" that no one wants anyway. Since I do most of my bills on-line and don't subscribe to anything in print, the only thing I should be getting is the occasional card. (birthday, Christmas, etc.) GM is still wasting time and $ by sending recall cards........but the rest, I throw away. I'm sure that over 90% of what they bring goes straight in the trash. Think of all of the fuel, vehicles, time, etc that are totally wasted. Then they could actually pay attention to the stuff that really matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 08:41 PM   #35
special-K
Special Order

They are hauling packages along with all that junk mail. No one was complaining about USPS until DeJoy was appointed. No coincidence. That's as far as that conversation can go w/o getting political.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 01-02-2021, 08:52 PM   #36
LONGHAIR

Sorry, I just assumed the "the government" alone, especially spanning decades was not political? It's not one side or the other, it's the mind-set of them all.

Quote:
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
Old 01-03-2021, 12:09 AM   #37
1976gmc20

Quote:
No one was complaining about USPS until DeJoy was appointed.
I can't remember folks ever NOT complaining about the post office.

It's sort of a national pastime.

Old 01-03-2021, 01:46 AM   #38
lil hoodlum

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60case View Post
My sister mailed me a Christmas card on Dec 9 It showed up today Jan 2 She lives 8 miles from me
That's really bad...

Would have been faster to have taped it on to a turtle and sent in on it's way to you..
lil hoodlum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 08:20 AM   #39
ChevyRacefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
The real problem is that it's a government agency. For most of it's existence there was little to no competition. So, just like the BMV, they don't understand the concept of customer service.
Package delivery services came along and started dealing with bigger items and guaranteed speed and then tracking. It cost more, but for times of need, people would pay it.
USPS could cut well into their volume problem by cutting out the "junk mail" that no one wants anyway. Since I do most of my bills on-line and don't subscribe to anything in print, the only thing I should be getting is the occasional card. (birthday, Christmas, etc.) GM is still wasting time and $ by sending recall cards........but the rest, I throw away. I'm sure that over 90% of what they bring goes straight in the trash. Think of all of the fuel, vehicles, time, etc that are totally wasted. Then they could actually pay attention to the stuff that really matters.
You understand that all that junk mail, pays the bills. Companies are paying to mail it.
I agree most of it goes in the deep 6 pyle, but that has nothing to do with the problem. The postal hubs are not set up for larger packages that take up much more space.
The junk mail, letter volume isn't an issue or causing a problem with the package end. It i the lack of dock space and floor space to sort it. The 12'x20' space they gain daily from junk mail taking up room, won't make a dent in the needed warehouse area needed.
The local ups and fedx hubs are 3-5 times bigger than the local postal hub.
And they are dropping the ball, There is a reason Amazon and walmart are delivering orders in their own or contracted carrier.
None of them are ready for the change from brick and mortar shipping to mostly online. USPS is in the worst shape, as their hubs are tiny compared to ups/fedx.
There are not many warehouses set up for use as a postal hub, So the USPS just moving to another building isn't as easy as just going to a bigger location. There is no easy answer that ,those holding the purse strings want to hear, as it is going to take a big investment in capital(tax dollars) to make it happen. Online shopping isn't going away. Those holding the purse Should get their heads out of the sand.
Old 01-03-2021, 08:42 AM   #40
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1976gmc20 View Post
I can't remember folks ever NOT complaining about the post office.

It's sort of a national pastime.
You mean complaining about anything, right? People are so spoiled and killing themselves with convenience and services. All it takes is a look back in time before we had so many conveniences to appreciate just what we do have. That's what I do and I find it amazing that USPS can actually do what it does in the time it does. So your one piece of mail took longer to get to you, while millions other went right on through. You don't hear about that. Have you ever gotten mail faster than expected? I do all the time, back in time same as still. You don't hear people complaining about that either.

Tim

Old 01-03-2021, 08:49 AM   #41
LONGHAIR

That was my point, forget the bigger packages and let the proper handlers deal with it.
But the "junk" is pure volume at a severely discounted rate. I suppose the "we're going there anyway" reasoning used to came into it at one point. But in the electronic age? Some serious restructuring and streamlining needs to be applied......but it's the government.

Quote:

Old 01-03-2021, 09:19 AM   #42
The Rocknrod

Quote:
USPS is no different.
USPS could have great service, but YOU would not pay for it...
USPS is the REASON UPS and FedEx exist. They don't run in a deficit to be bailed out by taxes. They (USPS) need to go away. Really! Someone with smarts wil step in so quick it'll make your head spin. And make money doing it with better service.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 09:22 AM   #43
ChevyRacefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
You mean complaining about anything, right? People are so spoiled and killing themselves with convenience and services. All it takes is a look back in time before we had so many conveniences to appreciate just what we do have. That's what I do and I find it amazing that USPS can actually do what it does in the time it does. So your one piece of mail took longer to get to you, while millions other went right on through. You don't hear about that. Have you ever gotten mail faster than expected? I do all the time, back in time same as still. You don't hear people complaining about that either.
One solar flare away from many SMART higher educated people becoming the dumbest ones on earth.
But yes we are spoiled, in ever way.
Could you imagine people today, if they had to wait 6-8 weeks for something they ordered.(K-TEL ANYONE) Heck they cry if it isn't at their door in 2 days.
Old 01-03-2021, 09:49 AM   #44
ChevyRacefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
That was my point, forget the bigger packages and let the proper handlers deal with it.
But the "junk" is pure volume at a severely discounted rate. I suppose the "we're going there anyway" reasoning used to came into it at one point. But in the electronic age? Some serious restructuring and streamlining needs to be applied......but it's the government.
Yup a discounted rate, same with PACKAGES, you think the big parts houses (summit/jegs,etc) or amazon is paying the same rate as Joe blow off the street is, no matter if usps,ups,fedx?

The junk mail is customers. Like it or not, it has ZERO to do with the government, they are not forcing companies to mail the junk mail.

What is cheaper. A mail route that cost 280 dollars a day to cover and only move 100.00 of paid product. Or that same mail route moving 1500.00 in paid product.
You think the postal service is in the red now, force all those paying customers off the books.
Volume of sales is what keeps postage cost down, removing much of it, will only make it cost more per piece.
Yes, it is a waste to print, ship, mail and deliver mail that only ends up in the trash bin, but someone paid someone to design it, print it, ship it, then mail it. Clearly it brings them customers or they not bother printing the sales fliers and such.
Maybe the postal service should have dropped shipping package once ups/fedx became a big player.
I personally think the usps being in the red is "creative accounting" As it allow a reason for a bigger budget.
I also think the having packages delayed is a game play, management is using, To be able to say to those holding the purse strings, we need a bigger budget to keep the standard of service. just like any budget office dept. no matter if it is a private business or not.
The price difference to ship something through the usps and ups/fedx is huge .
For a business that is "claiming "bleeding so much red, you would think they would price the services closer to ups/fedx and not have the huge margin between them.
Like most things, Watch what they do, not what they say.

Last edited by ChevyRacefan; 01-03-2021 at 10:00 AM.
Old 01-03-2021, 10:00 AM   #45
richard2717
Equal opportunity joke ofender

if the USPS would hire someone who knew how to do routes they could probably get rid of a large portion of the workers or at least deliver on time. When I was at my last job location we had 3 different mail trucks every single day and only one delivered to us. Our route guy said one only delivered to the bulk units like trailer park/ strip malls and the other one delivered to county addresses,we were city but the other side of the street was county. Made zero sense to me but it is the gubbamint. I can kinda understand the dedicated park/ mall unit but absolutely no reason for 2 residential trucks on same street.
Dually Jams, OlBlue60, ScottH, Tommyboy24, Dujobo, Warbucket, 2003 Silverado, Notsolo, my90k5, 6t727t2, Special-K ,Jack_71C10, tabarcus,72blazer_mud_bogger,pwdcougar,RSavage,EricSean,1Rippen6,invicta455,tennaragtop71,arks, Kendal,Bennett68C10, Perpendicular, Chainsawman, McGeesCustomMinis,ShortbedClayton,longblue72,6768chevylover,Tim71,Travisarmenta,Ol' Drippy,fleetmitch,georgieb51,Dave,bcnya2,Dadsburb
https://paypal.me/6772GMtruckparts
Most women like the strong, silent type… Fortunately for me, my wife prefers the out-of-shape, mouthy type.
richard2717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 10:02 AM   #46
ChevyRacefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rocknrod View Post
USPS is the REASON UPS and FedEx exist. They don't run in a deficit to be bailed out by taxes. They (USPS) need to go away. Really! Someone with smarts wil step in so quick it'll make your head spin. And make money doing it with better service.
Then why haven't they?
Old 01-03-2021, 10:10 AM   #47
ChevyRacefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard2717 View Post
if the USPS would hire someone who knew how to do routes they could probably get rid of a large portion of the workers or at least deliver on time. When I was at my last job location we had 3 different mail trucks every single day and only one delivered to us. Our route guy said one only delivered to the bulk units like trailer park/ strip malls and the other one delivered to county addresses,we were city but the other side of the street was county. Made zero sense to me but it is the gubbamint. I can kinda understand the dedicated park/ mall unit but absolutely no reason for 2 residential trucks on same street.
It isn't just usps.
We get early am ups delivery, The same truck has other packages for us, but are standard delivery, So the same driver, a few hours later will come back and deliver those. And yes, we have asked if He had them on the truck all day. and yes he did, but he is to only deliver the early am packages on the 1st run.
Makes no sense , other than if there was a chance he not get all the early am shipments finished before 10 am.
So a few times a week, the ups truck backs up to our dock twice a day, and the rest once a fay.
Old 01-03-2021, 10:20 AM   #48
richard2717
Equal opportunity joke ofender

Quote:
It isn't just usps.
We get early am ups delivery, The same truck has other packages for us, but are standard delivery, So the same driver, a few hours later will come back and deliver those. And yes, we have asked if He had them on the truck all day. and yes he did, but he is to only deliver the early am packages on the 1st run.
Makes no sense , other than if there was a chance he not get all the early am shipments finished before 10 am.
So a few times a week, the ups truck backs up to our dock twice a day, and the rest once a fay.
I must be blessed with a great ups guy. If he has early morning and standard he will give them all to me without me having to ask, but I also have all my packages to be sent ready for him to pick up as well so he only has to stop once a day. I am back in the sticks and try to keep needless trips to a minimum and it seems to work for both of us. A lot of days after giving me my packages he will sit here in the yard and rearrange his whole truck. We talked about it one day and he said guys at the plant load his truck and they just throw it on any which way because he refused to pay them extra to put in on the truck like they get paid to do anyway.
I used to hate FedEx here. You would get a notification that something had been delivered and had to guess where they might have thrown it that day. Never mind the fact it is a business address with a manned office that they could not bother to come inside. My new delivery guy has been great though and will bring stuff in.
Dually Jams, OlBlue60, ScottH, Tommyboy24, Dujobo, Warbucket, 2003 Silverado, Notsolo, my90k5, 6t727t2, Special-K ,Jack_71C10, tabarcus,72blazer_mud_bogger,pwdcougar,RSavage,EricSean,1Rippen6,invicta455,tennaragtop71,arks, Kendal,Bennett68C10, Perpendicular, Chainsawman, McGeesCustomMinis,ShortbedClayton,longblue72,6768chevylover,Tim71,Travisarmenta,Ol' Drippy,fleetmitch,georgieb51,Dave,bcnya2,Dadsburb
https://paypal.me/6772GMtruckparts
Most women like the strong, silent type… Fortunately for me, my wife prefers the out-of-shape, mouthy type.
richard2717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 11:55 AM   #49
1976gmc20

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
When I pay 15x extra for "priority" package that takes almost two weeks to get from MT to NYC, then yeah I complain about that.

And yeah, sometimes even regular mail comes really fast and it makes you wonder what they were doing with the rest of it ???

But as I stated earlier, Fedex has been really bad for us also which is why I didn't bother driving to a town even farther away and pay at least twice as much as USPS. The nearest PO to us is about 16 miles. It would have been 10 miles farther to get to a Fedex office, turning right on the highway instead of left.

The one thing that UPS does different is keeps the same driver on a route so they know the locations and conditions. Seems like Fedex hardly ever sends the same driver out here twice.

Old 01-03-2021, 12:08 PM   #50
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:

One solar flare away from many SMART higher educated people becoming the dumbest ones on earth.

I have been saying this for years, only I use the giant asteroid theory.

This is not a bash on higher educated people but many would not have a clue how to survive without all of the conveniences of today, especially the younger generations.....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote