The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-02-2014, 04:06 PM   #1
squidff

Intro and Question (Pulley/Water Pump)

Good afternoon,

My name is Brad and bought a 1969 C-10 a couple months ago for my son's first car. He has named it Caroline and it has a the CST package, heavy duty tow option and factory roof marker lights. It's a 350, but not numbers matching. We looked for a long time and finally found one in our price range and good condition.

As I own a 68 Camaro, we wanted a truck that shared engines. That was the argument I used to convince my wife we needed another old car. The engine is out and it appears I am at a crossroads regarding pulley and water pump. The current water pump is short, and the pulleys fit. What are the chances a short WP was installed from the factory on a 1969?? I have already reinstalled a slightly used (stolen from the Camaro, so that I can upgrade it) short water pump and now I have a different mounting pattern for the WP pulley and the WP.

So . . . if you are still with me, here's my problem. I would like to keep the short water pump but what pulley can I use that is the smaller pattern? The water pump pulley has three grooves and the crank pulley has a gap between the pulley closest to the engine and the other two. It has power steering, as well, and keeps me from just buying pulleys without first checking out what guys have to say.

Thanks,

Brad
squidff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 04:16 PM   #2
WhiteWhale

Re: Intro and Question (Pulley/Water Pump)

short pumps were used up to 72.

I would bite the bullet and spend the $25 for a short pump with the correct mounting holes so you can use your stock pulleys.

I am going through some pulley issues as well and have the same 3 groove upper and 3 lower with a space at the second groove (for the A/C) which none line up.
WhiteWhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 04:20 PM   #3
squidff

Re: Intro and Question (Pulley/Water Pump)

Whale,

Thanks for the prompt response. It does appear a new water pump would be the most simple solution. I have already installed the water pump and was hoping to not waste the time and gaskets . . . but easier than the alternative.

Brad
squidff is offline   Reply With Quote