The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-29-2016, 10:02 PM   #1
Jayred

Trans crossmember removal

I couldn't find a definitive answer in previous posts but how do you get the sob out without taking a torch to it? The m f'er is in there good and i can't twist it out. I have to reuse it so I can't destroy it. I can't slide it forward enough for my new swapped thm350 because of some frame rivets, so my mount is an inch forward from the holes in the cross member. If I can remove the cross member and notch out room to go around the rivets in the top forward part on each side it'll clear.
Jayred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 10:23 PM   #2
kwmech

Re: Trans crossmember removal

Sounds like the x-member is still riveted together. Knock out the rivets for the upper frame pieces and reinstall with 3/8''bolts. That will give you a little more leeway.
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 02:21 PM   #3
Jayred

All set. BFH worked hitting each end in opposite directions. The rivets in the way were the ones for the cab mounts for the frame. I could have used a grinder on the two most rearward rivets but I hate grinding under a truck next to fuel lines and making a mess. I'm just gonna notch a little on the crossmember and call it a day. Thanks for the help, can't wait to try out the new 3 speed!
Posted via Mobile Device
Jayred is offline   Reply With Quote