The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > FAQ Truck Tech > Paint and Bodywork > Sheetmetal and Fab

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-04-2006, 07:40 PM   #1
Rokcrln

How to: Inner Rocker Panel Replacement by LFD Inc.

Inner Rocker Panel Replacement
By
Lewis Fabrication Design Inc.

I will try and walk you thru the process of building your own inner rocker panel that will make floor patches much easier at the same time.
First thing you need is a sheet metal brake or a local shop to bend up a inner panel. This brake was about $200 at a local cheapo tool place. I use 18ga steel for my inner rocker panels and floor patches. The reason I like to build my own inner panels is because the ones you can buy do not extend onto the floor but stops just below the floor edge. Most repairs that I do have rust or damage at this area and also need to be replaced. You can buy floor patches that incorporate the inner rocker panel but they only come in front and rear sections so you will need to buy both just to do one rocker fix.

First thing I do is mark out where my bends need to be made (dimensions are shown in the pictures) and the directions of each bend. The top dimension will vary with the size of your floor patch and the bend angle will need to match your floor for a better job. If your floor is not to bad and you only need to patch just beyond the top corner you can make the top bend 90° and let the floor rest on top of your inner panel. This is easier to do but can lead to future rust in-between the two layers of metal. This is why I like to spend the extra time and but weld all my joints.

So once it is bent up you can start fitting the part. On this truck I also replaced the cab corner so when I had the corner off I completely removed all signs of the old inner rocker so mine extends in past where most will not. How far you replace your will depend on the amount of damage you have. I have found the best way to mark the floor patch area for cutting is to clamp the rocker in place once both ends are trimmed to where they need to be. With it clamped in place take a sharp scribe and from under the truck scratch a line tight against the old floor making a mark on the new floor section. Once this is done trim the patch along that line. Once it all fits well you need to make sure the metal on both of the joint are clean and free of any paint or rust before starting to weld. As you weld in your patch you will want to tack weld it in steps making sure the floor lines up as best as you can with the new floor patch. Also make your tack welds a few inches apart from each other instead of trying to weld it in one shot. This will keep warping to a minimum.

Once it is all welded up you will need to grind down the weld and prime all bare metal before replacing the outer rocker.

I hope this will help a few of you guys as you get your trucks back in shape and ready for many more years on the road.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Attached Images