The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-07-2013, 01:17 PM   #1
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

GM LS Broken Exhaust Manifold Bolt Fix (step by step with pics)"

A lot of you already know the thread I had earlier about a busted exhaust manifold bolt on the 6.0L in my 2006 Chevy K2500HD. After more research and finding that this is a very common problem with not only the 6.0L, but all 3rd gen LS based engines in trucks.

So I decided to start a thread that detailed how I fixed this broken bolt. Of course it was the rear bolt by the firewall on the drivers side. Hard to get to. But after some discussion with people here, and my brother in law (mechanic), I went for it.

I have a welder and could have went straight for that option. But since most cats don't have access to a welder, I decided to try drilling the bolt and then using an "EZ-out" type extractor. However... in the end, the welder was what I used. You'll see why. There is very little room to maneuver, so this fix did take me all day long.

Anyways... here goes...

Pic #1, The culprit. Pic taken from underneath the truck.

Pic #2, Collector nuts. These were a Biotch. I soaked them with penetrating oil for 2 days. They were still tough to get off. An impact didn't even budge them. So I next used a breaker bar on them, and I was pulling so hard, I was actually bending the breaker bar! They finally came loose. I got lucky and didn't bust a stud. You'll need a 15mm 6 point deep socket.

Pic #3, Remove the wheel and tire to get more room, and remove inner fender.

Pics #4 and #5, The clips that hold the inner fender. There are 8 clips you pry the center section out with a flat screwdriver. Then there are 2 clips that pull straight out. The clips that pull straight out I used a pair of straight nip thingy-ma-dealios. Just grab behind the flat part to the shank of the clip and pull. Then the inner fender falls right out.
Attached Images

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.

Last edited by GASoline71; 07-07-2013 at 01:24 PM.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote