The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 60-66 Suburbans

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-05-2014, 02:00 PM   #1
1966burb

Maiden Voyage with Trailer Brake issues!

I have been working on the GHOST (66Burb) for about one year getting ready for camping season this year. Thought I had everything in order for the first outing. New brakes, wheel cylinders, hoses, new master cylinder and it has factory Power Brake unit. Shasta trailer weighs 2820 loaded and has a 360 # tongue weight. Single axle trailer has electric brakes which I went through and they work fine. New electronic brake controller. I can manually lock up the trailer brakes. I came down a 9 percent grade which was about 1 1 /2 miles and was assisting manually with trailer brakes. I was completely out of suburban brakes when I hit the bottom. They cooled off later and worked fine on the trip home. (avoided the hill) Pretty scary!! Any ideas? Or time to gear up and add power disc brakes? I was hoping to keep the burb somewhat stock. Will disc brakes work with the stock 15 x 5.5 inch wheels I am planning to put back on?
Attached Images

1966burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 07:28 PM   #2
63burban
Chevy addict

Re: Maiden Voyage with Trailer Brake issues!

Use the engine to slow yourself down, another words downshift and do not ride the brakes but gently apply them periodically. Pay attention to what the truckers do.
Years ago your drum brakes did the trick, they will work now.
63burban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 07:33 PM   #3
65chevysub

I have the same rims on my 65, but 5 lug from an 86 Suburban, and have disc brakes. I put my discs on back in the late 1990's, from Master Power Brakes. No issues. My rims are 15X8, on the ground, and a matching 15X7 for the spare. Hope this helps
65chevysub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 08:39 PM   #4
oem4me

Scary. I have the very same concerns. 3400 Lb vintage boat/trailer combo without trailer brakes and stock drums makes me worry. Add a camper on the back of the truck and it's curtains for the family. Really not sure how our dad's did it back in the day. Plain ignorance or bigger b---s, I guess.
No, your stock wheels from 65 won't fit discs. You gotta go with a slightly later wheel.
oem4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:45 PM   #5
spacedebris

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63burban View Post
Use the engine to slow yourself down, another words downshift and do not ride the brakes but gently apply them periodically. Pay attention to what the truckers do.
Years ago your drum brakes did the trick, they will work now.
x2

The problem that nearly every "normal" (non professional) driver makes is going downhill too fast to start with. Many feel that they have to do the speed limit downhill and that is what gets most in trouble. On a 9% grade with a relatively heavy load (trailer is ~1/2 that of your truck) you should likely start the hill at half the speed limit. Of course it all depends on weight, length of hill, manual or auto transmission, etc. But I've found that on grades >6% a typical SUV / small truck should cut the speed limit by at least 1/3. Dont worry about holding people up behind you, they can wait or you can pull over at a pull out and let them by later. Its better to slow them down than to not make it down safely. Even if you have disc's instead of drum breaks, makes very little difference. While discs will help stop you better, they can overheat and catch fire just like drums.
spacedebris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 10:53 PM   #6
63burban
Chevy addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacedebris View Post
x2

The problem that nearly every "normal" (non professional) driver makes is going downhill too fast to start with. Many feel that they have to do the speed limit downhill and that is what gets most in trouble. On a 9% grade with a relatively heavy load (trailer is ~1/2 that of your truck) you should likely start the hill at half the speed limit. Of course it all depends on weight, length of hill, manual or auto transmission, etc. But I've found that on grades >6% a typical SUV / small truck should cut the speed limit by at least 1/3. Dont worry about holding people up behind you, they can wait or you can pull over at a pull out and let them by later. Its better to slow them down than to not make it down safely. Even if you have disc's instead of drum breaks, makes very little difference. While discs will help stop you better, they can overheat and catch fire just like drums.
I wish I could have said it like this. 100% true
63burban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:23 AM   #7
1966burb

Thanks for all the input. Gearing down will be a little tough with a 2 speed PowerGlide, but approaching the downgrade a little slower will sure help. j
1966burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 01:01 AM   #8
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I agree that staring the decent at a lower speed will definitely help. With brakes on the trailer, I don't see that there should be a problem. Maybe the trailer brakes are not engaging with the Burb brakes as they should.

I have towed with my Burb but not with that much weight and a 9% grade at the same time. Although I have towed a trailer probably 1/2 that weight and no trailer brakes, to Yellowstone and all over there for a week with no issues. My Burb has power drum brakes, but a 454 and TH400.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 02:55 AM   #9
pimpston65

i say they had bigger b@lls oem4me cuz my dad would drive up and down pikes peak and all over the west when we lived there and it got to a point where i had to stop freaking out, and just trust he know what the heck is was doin i slow way down before the heavy stuff i dont care bout folks toot'n the horn cuz id rather have a pissed off driver behind me the a shockd one rolling past as im in the ditch or over a cliff. even now i drive from Mi. to Pa. twice a month and folks be tripping. anyway nice write up. we plan to use our burb as an all in one deal no camper,kinda like a backpack with everything strapped to it. guess i'll be making some shades for the windows to get some privcy when sleep. anyone every hear of factory blinds for the side windows? in a camper or burban
pimpston65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 05:52 PM   #10
oem4me

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpston65 View Post
i say they had bigger b@lls oem4me cuz my dad would drive up and down pikes peak and all over the west when we lived there and it got to a point where i had to stop freaking out, and just trust he know what the heck is was doin
The 60's guy below musta been sitting on grapefruits... !!!
Attached Images

oem4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 08:00 PM   #11
72freak
Rottenwood Garage Member

I have never pulled a single axle trailer with brakes but MANY dual axle trailers and the trailer brakes on them if new will stop the truck.
1972 Chevrolet C-20 Custom Camper "Dump Truck"
1972 Chevrolet C-20 Suburban "Big Green"
1969 Chevrolet C-50 Wedge Hauler "Leonidis"
1966 C-10 2x4 short fleet 327 4 speed "Race Truck"
1952 Plymouth Cranbrook "Rican" (my grandfathers)
1931 Ford Model A Coupe "Black Beauty"
1930 Ford Model A truck "Club Cab" 4x4

Rottenwood Garage and Speed Shop.....where everything must be racy!

It's not just a hobby..It's a LIFESTYLE!!!

Thanks for nothing Barrett-Jackson

You cant fix stupid or teach accountability!

Time wasters, looky Lous and tire kickers are everywhere!
72freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 07:19 PM   #12
Slow Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by oem4me View Post
Scary.... Really not sure how our dad's did it back in the day. Plain ignorance or bigger b---s, I guess.
Back then nobody had good brakes so you were less likely to rear-end the car in front of you.

Even with no load I sometimes get a bit of a scare when someone in front of me has a lot better brakes than I do.
Past GM Trucks:
1959 GMC short stepside
1968 GMC short stepside-4x4
1973 Chevy short stepside
1989 Chevy short fleetside-reg cab
1993 Chevy short fleetside-Xcab
2002 Chevy short fleetside-Xcab

Save the dinosaurs, use synthetic oil.
Slow Build is offline   Reply With Quote