The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-28-2020, 11:01 PM   #126
AcampoDave

Re: rustoleum paint jobs

Looks like you could due that one justice, maybe a little less blue than mine. Mine in real life looks almost turquoise. But it's pretty dang close to my color
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 03:22 AM   #127
Fbks_Cruiser

So what did you use for primer/sealer and reducer? Ratios? I really like the sheen of your paint. Multiple coats, sanding between coats? Sorry for all the questions but your trucks look so good!

I think one of the bigger challenges for me will be dealing with that rusty hood.

Matt
Fbks_Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 10:09 AM   #128
AcampoDave

I mostly used epoxy primer on the longbed and tried to prep like I would for any automotive paintjob blocking it out thru the use of a contrasting guide coat. That truck was thinned with mineral spirits as the weather was very hot.
The almond shortbed was done with Rustoleum branded primer following the same proceedure but I thinned it with acetone instead which Ive come to prefer due to it's faster dry time. I have no ratios to give you as I just kind of "go for it" using a few test sprays and adjusting the ratio as I go. I would say 30% thinned is a good starting point though.

I had to shoot the longbed twice as my first go at it was disappointing. I didn't block the primer well enough and the orange peel look showed right up in the paint. No biggie though, I just blocked the paint down by wetsanding to a smooth finish and re-sprayed it. It was my first try at painting a vehicle so I didn't beat myself up over it or anything. Even then, after the second coat, I had to color sand it with 1500 grit and buff it out.
The almond shortbed went much smoother because I had learned from my mistakes. It was a one shot deal except for the roof which became a mess when a rogue gust of wind blew a bunch of birch tree seeds into my fresh paint. I sprayed the white first anyway so I just blocked it down and reshot it prior to the color. One thing I learned is; on a two tone job, its beter to see the white color thru to completion before prepping the base color as overspray will just coat your prep work anyway. Edit: recoats must be done within 1 hour or after 48 hours or the base coat will "check up" underneath when the topcoat softens it up

Last edited by AcampoDave; 07-29-2020 at 10:23 AM.
Old 07-29-2020, 08:32 PM   #129
nsb29

You can use an enamel harder 4/1 makes the paint much more durable
Old 07-30-2020, 12:11 AM   #130
AcampoDave

I'm pretty sure what I wrote in post #111 is correct about hardener, but if I'm wrong I welcome a correction because as of now the idea of using it scares me.
Old 07-30-2020, 12:28 PM   #131
nsb29

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcampoDave View Post
I'm pretty sure what I wrote in post #111 is correct about hardener, but if I'm wrong I welcome a correction because as of now the idea of using it scares me.
If you were painting every day that would be one thing, but if you use a good 3M respirator in a well vented area On an occasional basis you really don’t have anything to worry about i’d worry more about LA smog, I just don’t see you going through all the work and not using it. it would be like in the old days when all we had was straight Enamel and no Hardner
Old 07-31-2020, 09:43 PM   #132
Fbks_Cruiser

Thanks guys. I’ll probably only get the drip rails sealed and roof painted anytime soon. The rest probably next summer. I’ll keep you posted with pictures.

Matt
Fbks_Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote