The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-06-2020, 09:07 AM   #1
truckster

Rust Treatment

OK, let me start off by saying I know I'm going to hear, "The only way to fix rust is to blast stuff apart and cut it out." I get it; that's the best way, but because of time and finances that's not an option for me right now. In a few years, when I retire (for the second time) I plan to pull it all apart and do it right, but for now I just want to preserve what I have.

So for the places I can't reach easily, my plan is to pressure wash first, then use a garden sprayer with a wand to coat the inside of areas like my rocker boxes and torque boxes (72 Blazer). The product I'm considering is MROChem Black Star rust converter. The reason I'm considering this particular one is that it's not water-based; I've read that the water-based ones will turn white when they get wet. It also says it doesn't require a top coat.

If any of you have experience with this or similar products I'd love to hear about it, as well as any tips on application.
Old 07-06-2020, 09:02 PM   #2
lupo

Re: Rust Treatment

As far as application harbor freight sells engine cleaning guns for $9. It has an air connection and a siphon hose and will spraying paints and rust remover's quite nicely in hard-to-reach areas.

I could not find it MSD on this product. Rust converters are usually tannic acid-based.. Every manufacturer uses different ingredients but basically its tannic acid that turns the rust black
lupo is offline   Reply With Quote