The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-13-2020, 07:35 PM   #26
70 shorty
Where's my beer?

Re: How do you protect your investment from theft ?

Clutch pedal eliminates a damn lot of drivers these days!
'08 Tahoe LTZ 4x4 155K
70 shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 08:57 PM   #27
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ2A View Post
I recently heard of several thefts of C10’s. One was while a friend was having breakfast at a restaurant.

How do you protect your investment ?
I never finish it, so it can't be driven off, works AWESOME!

I had a kill switch with my HEI, I'd like to install the switch again, just not where it was. There was a time I left it out and locked the steering wheel, removed the battery terminal, locked the doors and flipped the kill switch. Today that wouldn't be enough. I'm not so concerned about my 72, but I'd sure miss the wheels.

There's all kinds of things you can do, the more obstacles you create for the bottom-dwelling maggots the better chance it will be where you expected it. As my garage goes I can save them the trouble coming through the door, they'll need more than a B/A sledge hammer
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 09:00 PM   #28
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalC20LWB View Post
Now that's a great idea for a quick, easy, & cheap precaution. You could even put in a blown fuse when unattended so there would not be an obvious missing fuse.
That's a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
Best security system is one not talked about on here are any other public forum. My 2 cents worth.
Also a good idea. Never tell anyone what all the tricks are. Even your friends might one day flip on you. I'd like to think that my friends wouldn't do that, but sometimes people talk.

I like the cell phone one mentioned earlier. It's a ton cheaper than a Lo-Jack.

My truck is quick off the line and I truly enjoy getting a hole shot across an intersection on some ricer with a 4" fart can in the next lane, but this truck isn't even going to outrun Motorola.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 09:12 PM   #29
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Honestly, I rely on being in a safe location where I live. I don't feel that is good enough these days with the internet, streetscape, the high value these trucks now hold, and the lack of anti-theft. I block mine in when at home and most of the time my son's truck is home when I am not. I used to have enough vehicles that a person couldn't tell if anyone was home or not, and something was always blocked in.
I want to do more, so I'll do a simple disconnect and skip the electronics and screaming alarms. GPS tracking is a good idea, though, if you want any hope of recovery. Where I leave it away from home is a concern I never had. It sucks that now I can't feel comfortable parking my OLD TRUCK at a park to head out backpack camping or leave it along a river while I spend the day fishing and enjoying the river. These are things I always enjoyed doing in my truck. Thieves suck!!
Thieves are the worst, certainly one of them. If I could figure out an arm release safety device I'd declare it justice.

My area is undergoing a big change giving reason to be (not feel) less comfortable. Many areas are, I just happen to border Ca. I block mine as well, it's not even drivable Like I said above, the more obstacles you create the better chance you still own it.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
Old 07-13-2020, 09:21 PM   #30
TIMCHNE

Grounding the tach is a great way to kill the ignition without disconnecting something that might be obvious to someone with a little knowledge. I've been thinking about a fuel shutoff solenoid so it would run out of fuel a short distance from where they grabbed it hopefully in the middle of a busy intersection most would just run at that point. Right now mine is in paint jail but soon out, it's a manual and if I am letting it out of sight I unscrew the shifter and take it with me. Made locks for my tow hooks too.
Attached Images

TIMCHNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 09:40 PM   #31
toolboxchev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
Best security system is one not talked about on here are any other public forum. My 2 cents worth.
Activating my other leads to Questions......
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 10:00 PM   #32
72c20customcamper

First of all if you think of this hobby as an investment you need to get out sorry to say.
But Good insurance is the only way . If someone wants you vehicle bad enough it's gone no matter what you do. My 66 ss is valued at 65k . And I drive it to lowes home depot walmart you get the idea and car shows. I'm driving my burban all over as we speak . Sits in the lot with the other cars and trucks at the hotel
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 11:13 PM   #33
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Ya'll need that James Bond Electro-shock device!

Simi Valley, CA
Old 07-14-2020, 04:40 PM   #34
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Funny, my new neighbor has a real nice car hauler in his driveway, might be his friends. They're away someplace, so he parked his Dodge sideways to block it. I'd rather lose a Dodge than that trailer too, good decision

I think end the end, it's just better we don't leave our trucks anywhere we're not if we can't take the long-term emotional pain of losing one Doesn't mean you can't go on vacation, just install a home security system, 4-5 deterrents on the truck. Tear it down if you want to, same with garage door operation, or chain it all up with door stops, just use bolt heads they don't have an answer for. Bars on the window and doors. Neighborhood watch, couple German Shepherds, snakes. Just cuz you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not watching.

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 07-14-2020 at 05:02 PM.
Old 07-14-2020, 04:47 PM   #35
LS short box

I've taken my hot rods on the Power tour and other big car shows. Had to stay in hotels in towns I didn't know well at all. But as the anti theft device I use is small bolts thru my drilled and slotted rotors. All four wheels. If someone tries to move the car/truck the bolts will jam on the caliper mounts. They are not easy to see and thieves want to be away fast. Even if they had a roll back wrecker they would have to drag out of the parking spot creating a lot noise. I'm running a LS so I also pull the fuel pump fuse.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 05:03 PM   #36
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS short box View Post
I've taken my hot rods on the Power tour and other big car shows. Had to stay in hotels in towns I didn't know well at all. But as the anti theft device I use is small bolts thru my drilled and slotted rotors. All four wheels. If someone tries to move the car/truck the bolts will jam on the caliper mounts. They are not easy to see and thieves want to be away fast. Even if they had a roll back wrecker they would have to drag out of the parking spot creating a lot noise. I'm running a LS so I also pull the fuel pump fuse.
Knew I should have upgraded the rotors. Next time Makes me want a camper. Kidding. I have no reason to go far, California frightens me.
Old 07-14-2020, 05:03 PM   #37
67/Heaven

No need to hide a kill switch, just take it with you. Place the receiver unit under a locked hood.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-12V-433M.../352665735266?
67/Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 05:10 PM   #38
anew4961

I had my truck appraised and insured with hagerty
anew4961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 05:53 PM   #39
siggyfreud

Best way to protect it is insurance. The next best is to keep it parked inside in a locked location.

Kill switches, pulling fuses, etc. are all predicated on the thief trying to drive off with the vehicle. That rarely happens anymore, simply because modern cars are WAY less susceptible to hotwiring. People just pull up with a tow truck, yank it on to the flatbed or lift the tires, and drive off. Much less suspicious-looking than breaking in and hotwiring.

Guns are also predicated on you being there when it happens, and in most cases, you simply being there, gun or not, will deter someone looking for an easy theft. Besides, as much as I love my truck, I'm not killing someone over it.

That's why I carry good insurance.
siggyfreud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 08:25 PM   #40
BigBird05

I use a ignition disable switch. Mine, i"ll keep secret. But something like a dummy choke knob. When pushed in the truck won't start.
BigBird05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 08:29 PM   #41
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

As for someone just dragging my truck out of the driveway with a hook, not much I could do. But if I saw it happening, my .357 will make short work of the engine block, which is what it was developed for. Maybe some tires, too. No need to cap a perp, they're recorded by my camera setup...unless they are wearing masks.

Maybe keep my pickaxe (or my 5 foot long prybar as a javelin) by the front yard and punch through the grill into the radiator. Of course, they're going to show up at oh-dark-hundred, when everyone is asleep, including this old man.

Simi Valley, CA
Old 07-14-2020, 08:42 PM   #42
kwmech

I actually had a dream last night that I owned a crew dually 4x and came out to the parking lot with somebody under the hood trying to steal it. I've had other dreams in the recent past of coming out to not owning a truck anymore. Just up and disappeared overnight. I owned a K5 years ago that I converted to 3/4 ton axles and built up the rest of the drivetrain. Of all things I had a locking hasp under the hood that had to be released before the lever would lift. worked out pretty sweet. I'm considering one of the cable locking systems for the hood on my keeper---the flat bed dually. Eventually going to sell both my 68 chevy longhorn and 68 GMC. Too many trucks to keep up and maintain with registrations and insurance. Calif is not cheap
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 12:17 AM   #43
70c10-08

Cool Re: How do you protect your investment from theft ?

There used to be an elderly farmer near where I live who started farming in the late 40's had a John Deere A, G, a 630 and, an old C/60 at his estate sale none of them ran and the auctioneers didn't know why? The farmer after he was done using them would take the points out of the distributors easy anti theft device if anybody still uses that lol. I may go this route as well or, install a car alarm with 1970 Eldorado horns that oughta scare em or at least disconnect the battery.
70c10-08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 11:39 AM   #44
Overdriven

Somebody mentioned Streetview, you can enter your address and have them remove images of your address from it. Lots of people are privacy focused these days so it doesn’t necessarily make thieves think you’re protecting anything.

For home, garage or not, a camera security system is a must in my opinion. A hardwired Power Over Ethernet (one wire per camera) system isn’t that hard to install and is more reliable and not able to be tampered with like a WiFi setup. Plus if you tell your various insurance companies about it you may receive discounts. I know someone who had a flatbed backup to the vehicle blocking his nice vehicle, driver got out, saw the cameras and hopped right back in his truck and left. All caught on camera and reported to the police.

For when you’re out, gps is your best hope of recovery in my opinion. An easy route here is an older iPhone secured to the underside of the seat with inconspicuous wiring to keep it charged. There’s lots of inexpensive options for phone plans these days, pay as you go, add a line, etc. And if you’re prone to losing or breaking your phone you’ll have a spare on hand.

Lastly, be aware. You can’t predict when a professional thief you can’t protect against will happen upon your vehicle but you can minimize risks. I keep those gas station conversations brief and lacking details about me and my vehicle. A regular person may think you’re a bit uptight but a thief will see you as weary and not easy prey. Pay attention to who is behind you on your way home. If I see the same vehicle behind me for awhile on my way home I just pull over and hang out for a minute before continuing home. On more than one occasion I was actually being followed home and the person pulled up next to me, wanting a conversation or to see if I’d sell. Maybe they were geniune, maybe it was an excuse and they were a bad actor. Either way they didn’t find out where I live.

Last edited by Overdriven; 07-15-2020 at 11:49 AM.
Overdriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 01:17 PM   #45
402Bowtie

Here's an idea that has been mentioned but with a nice twist. If 4 minutes is too long, I suggest starting at the 2 min mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYseqQSlPxQ
402Bowtie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 05:19 PM   #46
70cst

Hidden ... Kill switch and good insurance just in case.

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 01:14 AM   #47
CJ2A

Great info,

Thank you everyone !

I have never worried about a build that was not complete being stole. Thieves are lazy and do not want to work to complete a project.

I live in the Foothills and my sister does not even like coming to my place when I am not home because of my dogs, (my dogs love Chevy trucks too!)

I have a Son -in- Law that is a cop in Vacaville CA and he said the best deterrent was the club that locks onto the steering wheel.

I understand the electrical circuit cutoff systems. I understand the I have a gun system. These trucks are supposed to be enjoyed !

I am curious about something that will protect the pickup any where, any time with an older teenager in charge

My daughter loves her truck and wants to take it to college. I feel it will be gone the first weekend in the city (Davis)

Just looking for other thoughts & experiences

Thanks

Jerry
71 K20 BBC & granny 4 speed
95 2500 4x4
17 HD2500 4x4
Want => 67 C10 short bed w/ Manual Tranny
CJ2A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 09:10 AM   #48
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper View Post
First of all if you think of this hobby as an investment you need to get out sorry to say.
But Good insurance is the only way . If someone wants you vehicle bad enough it's gone no matter what you do. My 66 ss is valued at 65k . And I drive it to lowes home depot walmart you get the idea and car shows. I'm driving my burban all over as we speak . Sits in the lot with the other cars and trucks at the hotel
I have never looked at these trucks as an investment, other than when I ran my contracting business using them, when it came to taxes. It's not a hobby either. Old GM Trucks have been a way of life for me just as a Harley is to a biker. What my truck is to me at this point is not a possession, it is an attachment to my life until I die. Insurance can do me no good there. She's my keeper, my last one after owning so many, and that is what I tell everyone who asks to buy it. I am the cowboy and the truck is my pony

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 10:23 AM   #49
67C10Step

I've been watching this thread with great interest so I can think down this path when my truck gets closer to road worthy. Right now with entirely no front end, starter, alternator, or fuel line short of a roll back stealing it out of my shop it's pretty safe. Plus, if that were happening while I were gone I have at least two nosy neighbors that would come see what was happening.

Also, my truck is manual, 3OT so that excludes many new age thieves unless they are well versed. I am more concerned about stealing pieces and parts than anything else.

Reminds me of my teenage years after saving money for months on end to buy a complete Kenwood stereo/speaker system. As I threw all the Kenwood stickers in the trash one of my buddies asked me why I wasn't going to put one on my back glass. I told him I wasn't going to advertise to every thief around what I had.
2020 Toyota CH-R
2020 Acura MDX
67C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 10:31 AM   #50
72c20customcamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I have never looked at these trucks as an investment, other than when I ran my contracting business using them, when it came to taxes. It's not a hobby either. Old GM Trucks have been a way of life for me just as a Harley is to a biker. What my truck is to me at this point is not a possession, it is an attachment to my life until I die. Insurance can do me no good there. She's my keeper, my last one after owning so many, and that is what I tell everyone who asks to buy it. I am the cowboy and the truck is my pony
I hear ya Tim. These are a hobby for me my work truck is a 07 CDT . But I dont even load it anymore I have a dump trailer ,makes life easier . My dodge is really just a tow vehicle now.
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote