The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-06-2010, 02:43 PM   #101
nightglide

Re: rustoleum paint jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swifty View Post
nightglide, the harley skull turned out good with your stripes
Thanks for knowing its a Harley skull! lol Everyone round here thinks its the Punisher
Some outside pics
Attached Images

nightglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 06:01 PM   #102
jasonroman

how cold is too cold to spray rustoleum???

an ive read that rolling the rusto = many coats and alot of sanding in between every 2 coats.

is there a difference if i spray the rusto on???
ive tried to find info on the spray technique...but have not found much info.

thanks for any info...
jasonroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 06:04 PM   #103
Frankwhiteind

I am wondering the same thing. Got my truck bed close to prepped and I am gonna prime/rust converter some other areas before attempting to paint. It is pretty cold where I am and even in my garage, which gets some heat, it is still only about 40 degrees. Should I paint or try to heat up the garage with a propane or electric heater? Got an air compressor and the cheapest of guns but have never tried to put rustolium/acetoner/mineral spirits through it. Any hints on that would be sweet. I brushed my car with the stuff and it looks great for the cost of supplies and the lack of time spent, I think I can do much better spraying with more time spent wetsanding. Any advice will be utilized...
Attached Images

Frankwhiteind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:49 PM   #104
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankwhiteind View Post
Should I paint or try to heat up the garage with a propane or electric heater?
If you do that just make sure to turn if off before opening the paint cans, mixing, or spraying anything. Having an open flame in a room full of explosive vapors can produce undesirable results.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 01:09 PM   #105
sleepingbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeb01 View Post
If you do that just make sure to turn if off before opening the paint cans, mixing, or spraying anything. Having an open flame in a room full of explosive vapors can produce undesirable results.
I like that, undesireable! Theres a thread on page two I started on spraying rustoleum, and actually youll do alot less wet sanding when you spray then when you roll..
sleepingbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 02:17 PM   #106
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankwhiteind View Post
It is pretty cold where I am and even in my garage, which gets some heat, it is still only about 40 degrees. Should I paint or try to heat up the garage with a propane or electric heater?

I think I can do much better spraying with more time spent wetsanding. Any advice will be utilized...
1. Regarding painting temperature - for what it's worth I wouldn't paint unless the room temperature can be maintained at a minimum of 70 degrees (and preferably 75+). Anything cooler and unhardened paint will tend to run and/or take forever to set up, and catalyzed paint may not chemically activate. I do however paint all year long by relying on heat lamps to control the surface temperature. Most recently I painted my front wheels when the outside temp was in the mid 20's and the garage was about 42 degrees. The wheels came out great because I did them one at a time with two lamps heating the surface. The results can be seen on post # 2178, and the lamps can be seen just above the wheels.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...368988&page=88

For something the size of a car or truck I’d wait for warmer weather because I don’t have enough lamps to uniformly heat the entire surface.

2. For spraying tips, you might want to take a look at posts number 51 & 80 on this thread, which explains the techniques I used to paint my truck. Although I used John Deere Blitz Black, it’s also just air dry enamel, so the same methods would apply to Rustoleum paint:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=blitz+black

Last edited by markeb01; 12-10-2010 at 03:09 PM.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 02:28 PM   #107
1LOW4X4
Account Suspended

Heres my rattlecan job. Krylon satin black. although its going in the bodyshop next weekend....

Before:

After:

1LOW4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 06:18 PM   #108
Frankwhiteind

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeb01 View Post
1. Regarding painting temperature - for what it's worth I wouldn't paint unless the room temperature can be maintained at a minimum of 70 degrees (and preferably 75+). Anything cooler and unhardened paint will tend to run and/or take forever to set up, and catalyzed paint may not chemically activate. I do however paint all year long by relying on heat lamps to control the surface temperature. Most recently I painted my front wheels when the outside temp was in the mid 20's and the garage was about 42 degrees. The wheels came out great because I did them one at a time with two lamps heating the surface. The results can be seen on post # 2178, and the lamps can be seen just above the wheels.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...368988&page=88

For something the size of a car or truck I’d wait for warmer weather because I don’t have enough lamps to uniformly heat the entire surface.

2. For spraying tips, you might want to take a look at posts number 51 & 80 on this thread, which explains the techniques I used to paint my truck. Although I used John Deere Blitz Black, it’s also just air dry enamel, so the same methods would apply to Rustoleum paint:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=blitz+black
Very Helpful Info! I just ordered Zero Rust and a disposable filter and will get some heat lamps the next time I am out. your truck looks awesome and thanks a bunch...
Frankwhiteind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 09:03 AM   #109
three80three

Well I've used rustoleum a few times but now I'm in the process of pai t my 84 chevy c10 I heard you guys talking about mixing pearls with the paint has it been successful for anyone? I have a gallon of gloss Leather brown rustoleum paint and I would like to give it a rootbeer brown look does anyone have any ideas? This car was painted 2 years ago with rustoleum.
Attached Images

three80three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 10:36 AM   #110
crites_72

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchav62 View Post
Nice looking trucks and paint jobs!

I did my '73 with the Ace Hardware brand of Rustoleum. "RUST STOP" I believe. Satin white. I used a 50/50 mix with lacquer thinner. The paint job is about a year old now and it still looks good.
how did you do the green on your cab?
Old 01-20-2015, 08:51 PM   #111
AcampoDave

To you guys out there adding hardener to your enamel I have some words of caution...Hardener contains cyanurates (google it) which are extremely toxic. You are supposed to be using a fresh air supplied respirator with that stuff. Keep it cheap, but keep it safe. Know what you are spraying. Having said that, I'll get down from my soapbox now. Here's my Rusto Rig....done without hardener, but with a real respirator, not one o' them paper bra cups with a string type things.
Attached Images

Last edited by AcampoDave; 01-20-2015 at 09:07 PM. Reason: typo
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 09:29 PM   #112
Mock1

Just my 2¢...
Ive used rustoleum for years, brush on the chassis full strength, spray everything else with a Harbor freight gun, 50%acetone 50% paint. Temps around 70 + .
Even my carport got this treatment aith zero sanding, prep, or primer. Pressure washed, dried it, and shot the paint.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:44 PM   #113
iceship

Nice work guys...
iceship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 10:10 AM   #114
Backpayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcampoDave View Post
To you guys out there adding hardener to your enamel I have some words of caution...Hardener contains cyanurates (google it) which are extremely toxic. You are supposed to be using a fresh air supplied respirator with that stuff. Keep it cheap, but keep it safe. Know what you are spraying. Having said that, I'll get down from my soapbox now. Here's my Rusto Rig....done without hardener, but with a real respirator, not one o' them paper bra cups with a string type things.
I know this is a really old thread to drag up, but I'm wondering if you happen to remember this Cole's name, Dave? I'm going to paint my c10 with Rustoleum and like the color.
Backpayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 01:03 AM   #115
AcampoDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backpayne View Post
I know this is a really old thread to drag up, but I'm wondering if you happen to remember this Cole's name, Dave? I'm going to paint my c10 with Rustoleum and like the color.
I'm sorry but I don't understand your question? Who is Cole? If you mean the color's name...it's a mix of Hunter Green, Royal Blue and Gloss White.
Old 07-14-2020, 09:38 AM   #116
Backpayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcampoDave View Post
I'm sorry but I don't understand your question? Who is Cole? If you mean the color's name...it's a mix of Hunter Green, Royal Blue and Gloss White.
It's because I'm an idiot. I meant to ask the color's name.
Backpayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 04:04 PM   #117
AcampoDave

Ha, guess we'll name it Cole Blue. Seriously though, mixing your own color works fine, but if you needed to reshoot a panel for some reason and tried to mix it up again....you've heard the expression, "Lighting never strikes the same place twice". Here's a quick snapshot of one I just did in Gloss Almond....
Attached Images

Old 07-14-2020, 04:06 PM   #118
AcampoDave

Another angle
Attached Images

Old 07-28-2020, 02:49 AM   #119
Fbks_Cruiser

AcampoDave: I really like that color green, similar to 518 med green. Do you remember approximately what proportion of Hunter Green, Royal Blue and White?

Matt
Fbks_Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 09:21 AM   #120
AcampoDave

Sorry, I was trying to match the original paint on the firewall. All I remember is that it took more white than I expected.
Old 07-28-2020, 05:30 PM   #121
Fbks_Cruiser

Thanks,

My 72 GMC is med green and white (pretty much the same color combo as yours but still wearing its original paint). It is pretty rough but I wouldn't mind improving the looks of it until (or if) I have the time to really fix it up right. I might get some small cans and start mixing to see if I can come close to matching the color. Doesn't have to be a perfect match but it sure would look better than having the inside of the cab etc be a completely different color if I went with one of the off the shelf colors to paint the outside.

Matt
Old 07-28-2020, 07:22 PM   #122
AcampoDave

Yep, the small can trials is what I did first too. After making this color, it kinda got me wondering as to what other ones i could make.
I've always been drawn to "Jade Green" /"Gloss Olive" type of colors too. I'd combine that with a "Canvas White" trim, Softray glass over a "Fawn" interior....awesome. They make some of those funky little Euro cars in those kind of classic color schemes now.
Why not post up a pic of your truck so we can get a better idea of what you're scheming on?

Last edited by AcampoDave; 07-28-2020 at 07:27 PM.
Old 07-28-2020, 09:10 PM   #123
Fbks_Cruiser

This picture is from when I first got it. I’ve since replaced the missing trim but it pretty much still looks like this. The truck is wet in the photo so it is not so shiny! What bugs me most is the hood, way beyond a CLR bath.
Attached Images

Matt
Old 07-28-2020, 09:11 PM   #124
Fbks_Cruiser

Tailgate is a mess. I’ll try to get a better picture or two
Attached Images

Matt

Last edited by Fbks_Cruiser; 07-28-2020 at 09:19 PM.
Old 07-28-2020, 09:34 PM   #125
Fbks_Cruiser

Taken today. This was all prompted by the need to reseal drip rails. I was gonna just repaint the roof. But? Maybe mix up my own Rustoleum, do some basic body work and shoot it
Attached Images

Matt