The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-06-2015, 12:31 AM   #51
special-K
Special Order

Re: eBay Cheyenne Super -- Another Fake SPID

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
I know of a beautiful bagged 68 SWB that just sold for a lot more...and didn't even have a SPID
And now we are all freezing! Brrrrrrrrrr......

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 12:50 AM   #52
4X4GMC1972

Awesome truck but why lie and try to pass it off as an original?
Old 03-06-2015, 02:14 AM   #53
Mapearso

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
It takes a lot to know if a truck is all original. If not for the combined knowledge of this website any one of us would be that guy listing a truck with a false claim (to those who know). You can get big money for an LSX powered shortbed with all kinds of modern stuff that never came on it, yet one done tastefully enough to appear as a factory built dream truck gets scrutinized over one detail. No, it's not a factory BBC Cheyenne Super SWB, but it's a damn nice truck and worth the range it seems to be in. A real one that nice would always be worth more. Just know what you're looking at and decide if you like it enough to pay the money. If you're an investor, please find another place to go
All true .. and as a SWB BB truck owner, I am glad the bids went so high (assuming we all believe the bidding was honest and no shill bidders were involved). BUT. BUT. BUT... It's not that it's being scrutinized over one detail -- it's that the seller shouldn't be representing it as original. That ain't right.
Mapearso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 07:37 AM   #54
special-K
Special Order

It's always the seller that I have a problem with on these Ebay trucks, not the truck. I won't buy from a liar either. If they lied about this, what else? Often it's a dealer and they never know the truth about anything they sell and are professionals at making it sound better than it might be. My point was many aren't liing, they just don't know and neither would most people here without this great pooling of knowledge. After all, this is a 67-72 GM truck forum, or think tank. The problem is, even if this dealer didn't know before, they know now. But, since they are in business to make money and this listing costs them a lot, that trumps their morality. I see money trump morality most everywhere I look. It's buyer beware everywhere you go and it's a good thing we here know enough to see a fake. We can decide if we want the truck or not without basing that decision on a dealer's lies. It's Ebay after all, a place to go sell something to the world for as much money as possible. A place like that is full of crooks hundreds/thousands of miles away and even laws,PayPal, or whatever can only protect so much

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 03-15-2015, 07:12 PM   #55
Mapearso

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANTIP View Post
The reason the maximum and front end gross weights are the same is due to the HD suspension and tires. You could order a 350-powered truck and get those weights. Therefore, a big-block 1/2-ton MUST have those weights, but a small block truck COULD have them. Small block trucks with these weights are very unusual (especially SWB trucks). The VAST majority of faked big-block truck builders either don't know this or they assume a future buyer will not know it. I'll bet the Ebay truck doesn't have the dual-exhaust brackets or the high-hump. Great looking truck but not an authentic truck as advertised!!!
So is this an original big block 1/2 ton?
Attached Images

Old 03-15-2015, 07:18 PM   #56
DANTIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapearso View Post
So is this an original big block 1/2 ton?
That is not an original Big Block truck.
DANTIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 08:09 PM   #57
fourspeedwagon

Anybody else suspect the poster that joined last week and put up a bunch of pics of this truck and happens to be from Georgia is somehow "related" to the seller?
fourspeedwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 09:08 PM   #58
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Here's another SPID to do due diligence with on what appears to be a nice truck. A bogus highlander RPO is listed. Wonder if otherwise original though (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-C-...US_Cars_Trucks).
Attached Images

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 12:56 AM   #59
Mapearso

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANTIP View Post
That is not an original Big Block truck.
How can you tell from just this info? Sorry, I'm still unclear...
Old 03-16-2015, 01:23 AM   #60
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapearso View Post
How can you tell from just this info? Sorry, I'm still unclear...
See Dans post on page one (number 23). The front end and gross vehicle weight numbers must match. Here is my 72 big block for comparison. It is 3/4 ton LWB obviously, but the weight numbers match.
Attached Images

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 08:35 AM   #61
Turbo1dr

This is my 1/2 ton 71 BB Cheyenne Super. Its a long bed.
Attached Images

1988 LeSabre T-Type - Supercharged
Turbo1dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 08:40 AM   #62
DANTIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo1dr View Post
This is my 1/2 ton 71 BB Cheyenne Super. Its a long bed.
FYI,

The info I shared earlier regarding the gross weights only apply to 1972. I believe GM made the HD suspension component change for the '72 model year.

Dan
DANTIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 08:41 AM   #63
Turbo1dr

Ah, just the 72's....gotcha. Thanks
1988 LeSabre T-Type - Supercharged
Turbo1dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 10:51 AM   #64
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadheadNM View Post
Here's another SPID to do due diligence with on what appears to be a nice truck. A bogus highlander RPO is listed. Wonder if otherwise original though (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-C-...US_Cars_Trucks).
Once restored properly you'll never know. I realized this in 1989 when Gary Terry pulled a blank SPID out to sell me and explained how to replicate the proper type.

Tim

Old 03-16-2015, 03:50 PM   #65
El Dorado Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99 View Post
I still say these restoration guys should pull the original glovebox door and save it for documentation.
Paint up a second door with a new "chipflyer" SPID, for the restored truck.
That would solve alot of issues, unless you are trying to decieve someone.
I have left messages with Chipflyer and he doesn't respond, does anyone know if he is still a member or not. I would really like a SPID for my truck, someone previously removed mine....any help would be appreciated, Jim
El Dorado Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 02:03 AM   #66
El Dorado Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Dorado Jim View Post
I have left messages with Chipflyer and he doesn't respond, does anyone know if he is still a member or not. I would really like a SPID for my truck, someone previously removed mine....any help would be appreciated, Jim
anyone?
El Dorado Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 02:16 AM   #67
RedRoad

Why not make your own?

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=663990
RedRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 07:42 AM   #68
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Dorado Jim View Post
Did you leave him a PM here or go to his website? I'm sure he is still a member but don't think he visits regularily

www.outintheshop.com

Tim

Old 03-22-2015, 03:20 PM   #69
mechanicalman

Quote:
There are fake SPIDs and there are new or replaced SPIDs. Fake would be one that makes the truck appear to be what it was not originally. A new or replaced one will be just that. Something you need to do when you pint the glovebox door. Does recovering a seat make it fake? Fake is in the intent of the seller
Well said
mechanicalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 03:23 PM   #70
mechanicalman

Quote:
Once restored properly you'll never know. I realized this in 1989 when Gary Terry pulled a blank SPID out to sell me and explained how to replicate the proper type.
I'd like a new SPID that in the upper part lists everything actually original on my truck, and then starting from the bottom up, list everything I added on (in brief), and a header above that explaining what that means (add-ons).

To each his own. Yes, I'm an odd duck.
Old 03-22-2015, 10:36 PM   #71
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
Well said
Not that well. I said pint where I should have said paint! But you are a master of encryption and got the hidden message

quack quack (I know you get what I mean)

Tim

Old 03-22-2015, 11:19 PM   #72
mechanicalman

Quote:
Not that well. I said pint where I should have said paint! But you are a master of encryption and got the hidden message

quack quack (I know you get what I mean)
I know, I'm a legend in my own mint.
Old 03-22-2015, 11:23 PM   #73
chipflyer

Quote:
Replied to your PM Jim.

Jeff

1971 Cheyenne Super K10 - tilt, cruise, air, am/fm, tow hooks, factory buckets!
1986 Jeep J10 pickup, - 5.3L Vortec with 4L60e and NP241.
chipflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 06:00 PM   #74
cypressbog
Go Pack Go!

Bringing this back to the top for a reason. The number of fake trucks is getting out of hand. It’s almost to the point that if you don’t have the paper build sheet, you have to assume whatever truck you’re looking at is a tribute. Drove 3.5 hours today to look at a very clean 72 SWB big block. Everything looked right except the GVW on the VIN thanks to Dantip. I had to walk away. My biggest question was the SPID had upper and lower molding listed on the spid with Cheyenne Super. I thought CS already included upper and lower molding????
cypressbog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 08:15 PM   #75
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypressbog View Post
Bringing this back to the top for a reason. The number of fake trucks is getting out of hand. It’s almost to the point that if you don’t have the paper build sheet, you have to assume whatever truck you’re looking at is a tribute. Drove 3.5 hours today to look at a very clean 72 SWB big block. Everything looked right except the GVW on the VIN thanks to Dantip. I had to walk away. My biggest question was the SPID had upper and lower molding listed on the spid with Cheyenne Super. I thought CS already included upper and lower molding????
Your instincts were correct - You should not see RPOs BX2 or B85 on a Super, both are standard.

As for tributes or fakes - while I agree there are plenty of them out there, I also can't think of one that's fooled us here on the site yet (or, we were indeed fooled and don't know it ). To be blunt, most of the fakes are HORRIBLE replications of a Super. But there are occasionally some pretty good "fakes" out there. For me, the first thing I look at is the whether the SPID is aged or not. If it appears brand new, that's an indication that it could be an attempt to pull the wool over someone's eyes, but does not mean it is a fake. Some restos go the whole 9 yards and replace the SPID, faithfully, and retain records to prove it's correct. That's perfectly fine in my book. And, for that matter, I don't mind if people replicate Supers - that's perfectly fine, unless one tries to sell it as an original one. That's when it gets dishonest. There are dishonest folks selling truck and there are clueless folks selling trucks - it's a buyer beware world out there. And it sound like you went in prepared - nicely done! Still, long drive... ugh.

Last edited by jocko; 07-05-2020 at 08:22 PM.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote