The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-04-2020, 03:16 PM   #1
harrij4

Anyone Running Wilwood D52's?

Yesterday I had the right front brake start to seize on the highway. Haven't been driving the truck much during the lockdown, so I'm assuming it's a corroded slider or piston. Could also be the hose collapsing. Either way, I'm taking this as a sign that it's time for an upgrade!!!!

The wilwood D52's caught my eye as they have stainless pistons and should create some more even clamping force for better modulation. Is anyone here running them? I can get them for just over $300 shipped which seems like a fair price for a forged aluminium caliper.
harrij4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 06:11 PM   #2
Skymortar

Re: Anyone Running Wilwood D52's?

I just got the four wheel set up. Cant help you on performance though. They wont get installed for a while. (Project). Interested in others feedback also
Skymortar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 03:27 PM   #3
DemkoG

I have them On my grand wagoner, they are better then stock, but honestly not worth the money if performance is your goal, get good performance pads hawk/ebc and stock calipers is your cheapest root.

They look cool bolt right up and probably will last longer.

For better brakes you have to up your whole system, I am going with 3/4 calipers, mc, and larger brake booster. I'm not quite ready for hydro.

I don't regret buying them just you have to be honest if you want looks or performance for the wag looks were important.

hope that helps.
DemkoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 06:57 PM   #4
harrij4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemkoG View Post
I have them On my grand wagoner, they are better then stock, but honestly not worth the money if performance is your goal, get good performance pads hawk/ebc and stock calipers is your cheapest root.

They look cool bolt right up and probably will last longer.

For better brakes you have to up your whole system, I am going with 3/4 calipers, mc, and larger brake booster. I'm not quite ready for hydro.

I don't regret buying them just you have to be honest if you want looks or performance for the wag looks were important.

hope that helps.
This is kinda what I thought - thanks for confirming. I prefer fresh parts vs reman, and it's hard to find stock calipers that are new. If you can find them, they're at least $150/pr. I already have a hydroboost setup, so at this point other than converting to rear discs I'm kinda inclined just to buy the Wilwoods for a little cool factor and some peace of mind knowing that they're less corrosion prone and a little lighter.
Old 06-06-2020, 12:30 AM   #5
harrij4

Following up on this in case anyone is looking for the conclusion... Installed the D52's in black a couple weeks ago with Wilwood braided lines. I would say the performance is ever so slightly better, but the bigger difference is that the brake feel with my hydroboost is vastly improved. Modulation is so much more linear.
Attached Images

Old 06-06-2020, 02:50 AM   #6
gmc684x4

Sand blast your calipers get new pistions and seals
gmc684x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 03:38 PM   #7
DemkoG

Happy you got what you wanted and were expecting.
DemkoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 11:07 AM   #8
ballencd

What was the D52 fit like? No issues with factory wheels? I'm in the same boat. My brakes are pulling and need repair but I would like to go a bit better then stock. I was planning on going with bigger wheels and the Hummer brake upgrade but can't find wheels that fit the vehicle.
2005 Toyota Matrix
2002 VW Passat (sold) (YEA!)
1986 M1009 (6.2/TH400/NP208) (sold)
ballencd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 11:50 AM   #9
harrij4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballencd View Post
What was the D52 fit like? No issues with factory wheels? I'm in the same boat. My brakes are pulling and need repair but I would like to go a bit better then stock. I was planning on going with bigger wheels and the Hummer brake upgrade but can't find wheels that fit the vehicle.
Can't speak for stock wheels as I'm running 17". They're advertised as fitting the stock 15's though. But again, can't comment from experience on whether that's true. Wilwood is in Camarillo ('bout 20min south of me) and they have awesome customer service. Just give 'em a call. I'm super happy with the calipers though. Thinking of updatingy M/C too!