The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-14-2003, 12:04 PM   #1
Low69CST

Electric fan wiring opinion

I wired up my flexalites with painless's kit. I thought about wiring so the fans were hot all the time, the fans would run and blow air over the motor until it was under 185 degrees weather the truck was on or not. I thought it would be cool, but when i tried it this weekend i noticed the fans ran for like 4-5 minutes after i shut it off. Think that will be long enough to run the battery down? I'll have a 140 amp alternator plus a healthy battery. If so, is there some kind of delay or battery warning device that will shut off juice after so long?

Thanks.
Quad Suspension and Dual Tanks
Low69CST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 01:21 PM   #2
lpaine

Try lowering the temp. on the thermostat setting (if equipped) as long as your engine is staying in the temp. range you want. 4-5 minutes for the fans to run after shutting down seems like a long time.... might run the battery down, How many amps do the fans draw? Or ask flexalite or painless if this is normal to run that long. I know on a stock-type of electic fan it's normal for a fan to sometimes run after shutting the engine off, and yours should be adjustable. Just my .02 worth.
lpaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 02:07 PM   #3
sneakysnake
It's a catastrophic success.

I would think if its adjustable you should raise the temp not lower it that way it would shut off at a higher temp and not run as long,personally Id use a relay when the keys off the fans off, a manual fan doesnt start later and run after the moter has been shut off, so I dont see that much advantage to the thermostat switch.
sneakysnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 09:25 PM   #4
Low69CST

My temps aren't adjustable. I've just got a sending unit in the head that says on/off to a relay. But theres one wire that tells the relay when the truck is on or off, i have it hot all the time. Wondering if anyone else is wiring theirs that way. I think i may just leave it hot all the time and see if I have any battery problems.
Old 04-14-2003, 11:04 PM   #5
72ChevyCheyenne

I have the same setup and mine runs longer that.n that. The thing is once the engine is off there isn't any fluid running through the engine. All the fans are doing is cooling the fluid in the radiator and not in the block. I am going to change my wiring so the fans shut off when the ignition switch is off.
Restoration in progress
Currently: frame sand blasted and powdercoated, Inline Tube brake and fuel lines, Blazer tank in rear, Holley Red electronic fuel pump, Eaton posi with 3.42 gears, 2 1/2" drop front spindles, 4" drop rear springs with adjustable panhard bar, KYB shocks, ZZ 502/502 GM Performance crate engine, Zoops brackets and pulleys, Vintage Air, dual electric fans, Ram Air II hood and late model sport side bed.

Last edited by 72ChevyCheyenne; 04-14-2003 at 11:09 PM.
72ChevyCheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 11:41 PM   #6
Low69CST

i know that the coolant doesn't circulate, but my fans force alot of air, my thought was it would help suck in cool air and push the hot air out, helping cool down the motor and the headers, maybe solving hot starter problems, ect.