The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-16-2013, 04:27 PM   #1
68_Step

Daily Driver and Disc Brakes

I am in the process (slowwwww ) of making my 67 C10 a daily driver, which makes me think about disc brakes. I currently have drums on all 4 corners. Trying to decide if I need to go with disc all around or disc on the front and drum on the rear? Since this will be my DD eventually, I think emergency brake is a must. This DD will (and is right now) routinely hauling 1000lbs of feed at a time from the feed mill, cattle trailer, OSB and 2x4s from Lowes – you get the idea. Which way would you go, and why?
68_Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:42 PM   #2
sprint_9

Re: Daily Driver and Disc Brakes

I would go with some discs on the front and on the rear rebuild the drums, use quality components when you do the rebuild or order parts. That way you get good disc brakes on the front but still retain your parking brake in the rear with the drums.

If you think discs on the rear are a must, be prepared to spend 500+ to get a set up with an e-brake.

Last edited by sprint_9; 05-16-2013 at 05:04 PM.
sprint_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:43 PM   #3
leftybass209

Nobody i know of has ever complained that their brakes stop their vehicles too well. That being said, if you are hauling 1000lbs daily, then brake fade associated with drum brakes is inevitable. Disc/drum combos have worked and are effective, and could probably get you by safely. It would come down to how fast and safely you would like to stop, versus how much you would like to spend on brakes.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:49 PM   #4
Dova

I daily drive my 1970 with disc's up front and drum rear and have had 800plus pounds in the back and stopped just fine with it.
Dova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:06 PM   #5
SS Tim

Considering that you are running pretty much at design GVW now with the drum brakes, power front disc brakes will feel like a new truck. Go with a factory brake parts swap up front.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...68&postcount=4
Add a front sway bar while you are there as well.
Rebuild the rear drums with quality parts and premium shoes.
But you do need to address the whole 5 or 6 lug issue so often wrestled with here.

Hopefully your "cattle trailer" has good brakes and is not too heavy. With a max GCW of 10,500 lbs (4.11 gears) that would leave about 5500lb for trailer and cargo best case. If you are hauling loads like this often you might want to consider a heavier series truck.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:54 PM   #6
BB72CHEVKT

I have run drums and disc on a daily driver and it is an easy choice to pick the disc brake set up.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:38 PM   #7
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Same as posted above.... power front discs and good rebuilt rear drums. You'll have all the braking power you need without the added cost & hassle of fitting rear discs and parking brakes. That said, I am a huge fan of 4-wheel discs -- but I also don't think it's worth the trouble to convert.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:27 PM   #8
68_Step

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Tim View Post
Considering that you are running pretty much at design GVW now with the drum brakes, power front disc brakes will feel like a new truck. Go with a factory brake parts swap up front.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...68&postcount=4
Add a front sway bar while you are there as well.
Rebuild the rear drums with quality parts and premium shoes.
But you do need to address the whole 5 or 6 lug issue so often wrestled with here.

Hopefully your "cattle trailer" has good brakes and is not too heavy. With a max GCW of 10,500 lbs (4.11 gears) that would leave about 5500lb for trailer and cargo best case. If you are hauling loads like this often you might want to consider a heavier series truck.
By factory brake parts, did you mean something like the ECE front disc kit? I have been eyeballing that, standard, no drop. I think I am going to keep it 6 lug.

It already had a sway bar (15/16th) and I just replaced the bushings with Moog bushings. Also replaced the shocks and springs - changed the rear to cargo coils.
If I have a heavy load I use my other truck, 78 K30 Flatbed dually.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-16-2013, 11:11 PM   #9
SS Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68_Step View Post
By factory brake parts, did you mean something like the ECE front disc kit? I have been eyeballing that, standard, no drop. I think I am going to keep it 6 lug.

It already had a sway bar (15/16th) and I just replaced the bushings with Moog bushings. Also replaced the shocks and springs - changed the rear to cargo coils.
If I have a heavy load I use my other truck, 78 K30 Flatbed dually.
By factory disc brakes I meant factory disc brakes (71-87) did you look at the link?

Maybe using the factory disc parts and aftermarket 6 lug rotors would be the easiest and cheapest solution. But the rotors would be a special part, thus a potential replacement issue.

Sway bar I was thinking of was the 73 up 1 1/4" square body part.

A 1000lbs in a C10 is a heavy load and you stated this is and will be a routine load. Also stated that you use or plan to use it to haul a cattle trailer this is also a heavy load anyway you look at it. Unless you have a healthy 350 or a big block in front of that three speed I can't see it being happy pulling that trailer.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:25 AM   #10
domeier

It takes all of ten minutes a side to replace disc pads and you hardly get dirty doing it.
domeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:23 AM   #11
MARKDTN

Front disc, rear drums. The difference will be noticable if you haul much at all.
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:01 AM   #12
midniteblues

on the kids 67 we put manual 72 disc's up front and the 72 5 lugger in the rear(same setup i'm doing in mine) the later rear axle the drums/brakes are slightly wider than the 67's(if that makes a differnce).
after the swap it made a world of differnce in the pedal feel and stopping power even without power assist.
driving my 67 around with the manual drums they worked pretty good but it did have alot of brake fade and you definitly had too hit that pedal alot earlier than in the kids truck so i can understand where your comeing from with hauling and useing the drums.
swap over too the disc/drum setup you'll be much happier.
i gotta say though my s10 has 4 w disc's with the fancy rotors and that thing can stop on a dime but its a whole differnt truck.
we have never pulled anything or even really ever loaded the kids truck with much of anything so i couldnt help you in that department
'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:03 AM   #13
68_Step

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Tim View Post
By factory disc brakes I meant factory disc brakes (71-87) did you look at the link?
Yes I read every word (did not follow all the links off that page yet, but I will) but there were two sections that I thought were directly related to my situation (67-70 truck with 67-70 Crossmember Installed, and 67-70 Truck With 6-lug Disc Brakes: 6-Lug Drum to 6-Lug Disc Conversions) - just to make sure I was reading what you were suggesting.

Quote:
Maybe using the factory disc parts and aftermarket 6 lug rotors would be the easiest and cheapest solution. But the rotors would be a special part, thus a potential replacement issue.
Quote:
Sway bar I was thinking of was the 73 up 1 1/4" square body part.
Just checked the local Pick n Pull inventory, that have 3 each 1/2 tons, a 78, 79, and 81. Will call them to check if there is a sway bar on any of them. Would a 3/4 ton bar work?

Quote:
A 1000lbs in a C10 is a heavy load and you stated this is and will be a routine load. Also stated that you use or plan to use it to haul a cattle trailer this is also a heavy load anyway you look at it. Unless you have a healthy 350 or a big block in front of that three speed I can't see it being happy pulling that trailer.
The trailer is a 16' cattle / stock trailer. Never had more than 2 cows in it at a time. I have been pulling the trailer for several years now, no problems. Feed is routine "in season", when we are doing critters.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:05 AM   #14
68_Step

Quote:
Originally Posted by domeier View Post
It takes all of ten minutes a side to replace disc pads and you hardly get dirty doing it.
Now that is a point in favor of all disc!
Old 05-17-2013, 11:14 AM   #15
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Just checked the local Pick n Pull inventory, that have 3 each 1/2 tons, a 78, 79, and 81. Will call them to check if there is a sway bar on any of them. Would a 3/4 ton bar work?.
Yes, below is my reply to that same question by another member.

Ok, heres the scoop as best I remember it.

The following applies to 73-87 C/10, C20, C/30 trucks and up to 91 on Burbs C/10-C/20 and C30 old body style trucks.

If its a C10 and has a sway bar it will be 1." and the C20's and C30's had a 1.1/8" bar. You will need the bar, the bushing clamps, and the bushing stands. The bushing stands will be rivited to the frame so you will need to cut them off. I recommend replacing the bushings with a good rubber or polygraphite bushing.

Regarding the bushing stands, there are three ways to go. If your at stock height or slightly lowered you will need the stock stands. If your mildly lowered you can buy a shorter set from ECE that fit tighter to the frame. If your extremely low you can bolt the bushing clamps directly to the frame.

Applications will vary so you need to decide based on bushings at the A arms binding due to mounting height.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:52 PM   #16
domeier

Quote:
Now that is a point in favor of all disc!
Yeah, that'd be sweet. I despise doing drum brake jobs. Slave cylinders get leaky, you (I, anyway,) always put some arm or plate on backwards and have to do it twice, and all that 2 tons of black soot gets everywhere. Fortunately, the rears wear so slow, you only have to do them maybe once for every two or three sets of front pads.
domeier is offline   Reply With Quote