The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-18-2013, 10:50 AM   #1
Gumby

Pulled Muscle - Older Gents

Pulled Muscle - Older Gents

Gotta be an age thing, pulled muscle in my side doing xmas lights 2 fridays ago.

which was then painful to laugh, cough, sneeze, only cure is to rest. 1 week to several weeks heal time.

But this time of year its not that easy. Amd im a guy that when I sneeze, its like a bomb.

kinda like brused or a broken rib, where tightly wrapped so it can't expand much "help"

Just hoping im not the only one............. it was beter till I sneezed last night and almost fell over.
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 10:53 AM   #2
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Re: Pulled Muscle - Older Gents

Its possible you have a minor tear. As the muscle heals, it will want to contract. To offset that you will need to try stretching it. Go very slow and gently do stretching moves.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:52 AM   #3
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

I know your pain as I have had many pulled muscles thru the years. and rest and heat pad and muscle relaxer pills is what I use to heal it up..
mainly the rest
Old 12-18-2013, 03:37 PM   #4
cayoterun

I'm with gopapa. Those things can grab ya' at the most unexpected times, and seems for no reason.

It's not a sin to sit/lay down, rest, take your favorite pain killer, and hope it goes away real quick.

I agree with the sayin', "Gettin' old ain't for cowards".

Wishing you the best

I think I'll do it myself and pay the extra $500.
cayoterun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 04:03 PM   #5
meter swinger

Ive found that the best thing for soft tissue problems is a good msssage therapist, if you are healed up enough that you can endure the massage session.
meter swinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 07:53 PM   #6
TennesseeZ
Countdown Survivor

Pulled muscle on your ribcage? OUCH! Yeah all you can do is give it time, and all the things already mentioned. I hear you on the pain and know you're tired of it after 2 weeks. Best of luck with it, hope you get better soon.

A MAN OF HONOR DOES NOT LIE, CHEAT, OR STEAL, NOR TOLERATE THOSE WHO DO.

Gettin' old ain't for sissies.
TennesseeZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:27 PM   #7
Gumby

I was doing ok till that sneeze last night. Long as I held my side with my hand I could cough or… But that sucker felt like I was stabbed or did tear some tissue. Then this am when I got up I coughed and was ready to call the doctor but they can’t do anything but say rest. But all day I have had a shirt bunched up and tied tight around me. Like some TV show joke, if you handed me a girdle, id put it on. Just makes me feel old.
Old 12-19-2013, 03:56 AM   #8
prairewolf

... your first post said '' older '' ... I handle that Alot better than '' old ''.
approaching 50 I stayed away from the Geezers Unite thread, ... and come to think of it now I will probably run from it. ........... anyhow, I notice some stuff going on now joint/muscle wise and I pay better attention to health stuff. ... no advice to offer but am glad for your thread. ........ a guy I know wished me happy belated 50th birthday a little while back, ... I said, ... Childood is over, time to get serious. .........

kent
Old 12-19-2013, 08:02 AM   #9
Sillyoldman

I woke up a bit sore this morning with an unexpected pain, my thumb of all things. It was fine last night but sure is sore this morning. Is Aleve a breakfast food?

'71 Custom Deluxe C-20 402.
'67 Buick Special 455.
'49 Plymouth Special Deluxe.
"I love that old car smell"

Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Sillyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:49 AM   #10
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

I did this a couple of weeks ago with my back rest and heat seemed to help it a lot hard to do while working... happy recovery

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:43 AM   #11
Gumby

Fun part is ive been in the poor house for a while [messed up nerve in right leg, leg acted up to but muscle was fine in 2 days], But no more carenet, go sign up for OmbamCare, OC says nope, you need medicare, medicare says Im to young, go sign up for OC.......

like a fun circle game of "not my problem". Which is right but least I had coverage before where I could talk to a doc when needed. [I don't go to doc till I feel like im dying]

If I have to seek more help, Ill forward all my bills to the White House......
Old 12-19-2013, 12:03 PM   #12
cdowns

with age comes all sorts of associated problems// could be a kidney or spleen or liver or other internal problem and not just a simple muscle tear as your self diagnosis seems to point to/// me??i'd go seek professional help b4 it gets worse
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 12:33 PM   #13
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
with age comes all sorts of associated problems// could be a kidney or spleen or liver or other internal problem and not just a simple muscle tear as your self diagnosis seems to point to/// me??i'd go seek professional help b4 it gets worse

I agree with Cliff, I would get checked out. It could be something completely unrelated to what you perceive.... and what you were doing may have aggravated it.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 11:20 PM   #14
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

Whats an "old gent"? 56 makes me feel old, & yes I do have the aches/pains....sometimes pull a muscle over stupid easy chit? Its he!! to get old I wish for you the best, Have myself been dealing with arthritis in my back, for about 20 yrs....knees, hips, ankles, are all kickin in? I guess, the best that we do is "keep on keepin on" Best of it, Longhorn
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 01:46 AM   #15
dan42

56 here as well. Just isn't any fun getting old and waking up with something hurting, and you can't figure out what you did to screw it up. No sir, this old age stuff is not for weenies, that's for sure. It seems like there is less and less time between the times you are feeling really good and the times that some part on you is messed up.
dan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 01:35 AM   #16
PAWS 72

Guys I know the feeling also. I put a 5th wheel hitch in for a friends friend a couple weeks ago, and my chest muscles hurt for a while. Still sore if I touch in wrong place.I was drilling the holes pushing on the drill is what done it I think.

Plus 7 back serguries later, Its he... I dont like the cold.

Hope You get better guy.
PAWS 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 01:59 AM   #17
Gumby

Several days with a shirt wrapped tight around me so I could not expand my side to much did the trick. Should have done that first but never pulled a muscle like that before.

was odd a few days later, a girl at GF work sneezed so hard it pulled her chest muscle to the point where she thought it was a heart attack.
Old 12-26-2013, 02:06 AM   #18
woodwright
Enjoying left field

Yeah I hear ya fellas. When I turned 30 it all just went down hill. At 36 I feel like im just waiting for the coffin..................

70 Chevy 4WD "Ultimate Work Truck" SOLD
woodwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 02:28 AM   #19
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Glad to hear you're feeling better now, Gumby. I've been hoping you'd come back on here & say it's nothing too serious.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 02:38 AM   #20
CG
BlahBlahBlah

I guess I don't know what a pulled muscle feels like. I do have a couple of places in my back that "catch" sometimes and it hurts like the dickens. I have a buddy that is a chiropractor and he gives me a couple of good cracks and the sharp pain is gone and the dull pain left over goes away after a few days of taking it easy. I suppose I could be having a little of both when this happens ... Ill have to ask him next time I need to get cracked.

Glad you feeling better!
Old 12-30-2013, 08:20 AM   #21
prairewolf

... an '' Older '' guy up north is leading the pack for us. ... an article yesterday said a 97 yr old man jumped from a carjacking in Dilworth MN. ... someone jumped in the pickup he was waiting in, and started driving it out of parking lot so he jumped out. ... some bumps bruises but other wise he feels good enough ................I wonder if he bought a pack of smokes on the way home.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:42 PM   #22
GMCjunkie
Dude...I'm a CHICK

Im an "older" chick. Several years ago when I was a meat cutter for a snotty southern grocery chain, I was dumping about a 60lb, tub of hamburger into the grinder up over my head and I felt a "pop" in my side, after a couple days of agony thinking it was a pulled muscle , I went to urgent care. I had actually broken a rib. I was pretty puny compared to the big guys that I had to keep up with so when I started my meat cutting career I joined the Y and started lifting weights. The doc said that along with that and the every day constant lifting of meat, my muscles were able to lift more than some of my bones were able to handle. Healed from that one, then about 2 months later, did it again, doing the same gosh darn thing. Between those issues and working with people who suffered from rectal craniumitus, I gave up my career, and sadly my total buffness...

Glad to hear youre feeling better darling!

'71 GMC Suburban 4x4
GMCjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:30 PM   #23
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCjunkie View Post
Im an "older" chick. Several years ago when I was a meat cutter for a snotty southern grocery chain, I was dumping about a 60lb, tub of hamburger into the grinder up over my head and I felt a "pop" in my side, after a couple days of agony thinking it was a pulled muscle , I went to urgent care. I had actually broken a rib. I was pretty puny compared to the big guys that I had to keep up with so when I started my meat cutting career I joined the Y and started lifting weights. The doc said that along with that and the every day constant lifting of meat, my muscles were able to lift more than some of my bones were able to handle. Healed from that one, then about 2 months later, did it again, doing the same gosh darn thing. Between those issues and working with people who suffered from rectal craniumitus, I gave up my career, and sadly my total buffness...

Glad to hear youre feeling better darling!
I'll bet your new neighbor would be happy to take a look at the old cracked rib wound if you asked nicely
Old 12-31-2013, 09:16 AM   #24
GMCjunkie
Dude...I'm a CHICK

CG, darling....wow, what a great idea.... and to reward your good thinking,I am sending to your email many pics of various feet for your viewing pleasure. :p

'71 GMC Suburban 4x4
GMCjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 01:13 PM   #25
Gumby

And I did it AGAIN............

But this time, taking down the lights. they went up clockwise, down counter clockwise, standing/squating on a roof while leaning over down and not going head first off the roof, puts some strain on side muscles. this time its a little lower and not as "bad" though I know to wrap it tight this time around so the muscle can't expand to far and cause PAIN.......