The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-22-2002, 10:04 PM   #1
JW

Post Fuseable Link - Answer

Fuseable Link - Answer

I managed to destroy the "Fuseable Link" on my 72 truck. I could not find any information, from local retailers or Chevy dealers, until I posted my question on this board. The response was great and pointed me in the right direction. Here are the results of my investigation into this problem.

The "Fuseable Link" is located in the main 12 ga red wire, enclosed in a rubber housing, located near the battery (+) terminal. It is a 50 amp fuse, once destroyed, in my case burned to a crisp, this wire/50 amp fuse, had to be replaced.

After a month of searching for a "Fuseable Link", I only found a "Fuseable Link" wire. Searching further, I found that there are automotive circuit breakers. These automotive circuit breakers are normally "on", until an overload occurs, then they automatically switch to "off". After a short period, normally 5 min, they reset to normally "on".

I have found two manufactures for these automotive circuit breakers. Cooper Bussmann, Inc, Catalog No: BP/CBC-50B and Cole Hersee, Catalog No: 30055-50. Both of these manufactures make automotive circuit breakers from 5 amp - 50 amp. These automotive circuit breakers, are available in a manual reset and/or without mounting brackets. I have listed the automatic reset with a mounting bracket. Since we all live in different areas, it is up to the individual to locate these automotive circuit breakers. I located the above, via the Internet, manufacture e-mail, to locate a retailer in my area.

I have attached two pictures. One to represent the size of these automotive circuit breaker, the black object is an ink pen. One to show my installation, during my testing phase, as I shortened the studs and coated the terminals with a liquid, rubber compound, for water proofing. If I ever have a problem in the future, I can remove the existing automotive circuit breaker with a new replacement, without having to splice/install new wiring.

I have A/C, additionally installed: electric door locks, electric windows, audio amp, alarm system. I installed my automotive circuit breaker, a month ago, no problems. The cost for the automotive circuit breaker was $3.95.

This "Board" is the best !!!!

JW

------------------
72 Cheyenne Super, Fleetside, Shortbed,
Original Owner, Special Ordered
350ci/340hp, Auto Trans, 3:70 Posi, Tow Package
Northern Calif

Northern Calif

JW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2002, 10:13 PM   #2
Blue68

JW, where did you find yours? And the pics are not showing up. You mentioned a testing phase. What exactly did you do to test them out? Also, which amperage breaker is appropriate?

Thanks.

------------------
Frisco, Tx

'68 C-10 LWB, '98 Z-71 350 w/accessories (Serpentine), Edelbrock Performer, Edelbrock 1405 (600cfm) carb, GM HEI, CompCam Extreme 4x4 roller cam, Thorley Headers, Carter Electric Fuel Pump, Vintage Air, 700r4, 3.73, disc brakes and power steering upgrades.

Way too much money and time invested..But it's a hobby.

[This message has been edited by Blue68 (edited May 22, 2002).]

'68 C-10 LWB, '98 Z-71 350 w/accessories (Serpentine), Edelbrock Performer, Edelbrock 1405 (600cfm) carb, GM HEI, CompCam Extreme 4x4 roller cam, Thorley Headers, Carter Electric Fuel Pump, Vintage Air, 700r4, 3.73, disc brakes and power steering upgrades.
Blue68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2002, 10:37 PM   #3
JW

I checked my posting, pictures show on my computer. If you see a small white box with a red X inside, point to it and use the right mouse buttom. Then select "show picture"

I live near Sacramento, Ca. After e-mail the manufactures, requestion a retailer for their products, I was refered to Lehr Automotive, (916) 739-6626. This company had been in business for the last 40 years that I know of.

I always test everything that is "new" to me. I installed and drove my truck for a couple of weeks, using all electrials at once. No problems, cut the studs and coated with a liquid rubber compound, for water proofing.

My books show a 50 amp "Fuseable Link", that is the amp that I installed.

------------------
72 Cheyenne Super, Fleetside, Shortbed,
Original Owner, Special Ordered
Northern Calif

[This message has been edited by JW (edited May 22, 2002).]
Northern Calif

JW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2002, 01:22 AM   #4
TERRYP
GYRO GEARLOOSE

Buss sells spade type circuit breakers from 10 to 50 amps, replace plaxtic type fuses, most auto parts stores have them
66 C-10 Panel, SWB. 350 from '68, 200R4 tranny, 3.07 rear ratio, restoring
68 C10 LWB 350 4spd, 4.56 rear dump runner
82 Camaro, 305, THM-200-R4
84 Monte Carlo 305 TH350, land tuna
85 Tercel SW, snow runner

DISGRACED OUTLAW MEMBER OF THE DRUM BRAKE CLUB
TERRYP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2002, 08:25 AM   #5
HuggerCST

Thanks for posting your results. I wondered about the amperage too.
53 Chevy shortbed
69 Camaro

Click here to subscribe
Chevy GMC International Truck Club Louisiana Charter Member
http://www.louisianaclassictruckclub.com
HuggerCST is offline   Reply With Quote