The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-09-2011, 10:51 PM   #1
BlackTopMotors

Where is the Purple Wire for Turn Signals?

OK,
I am trying to wire my front turn signals and front markers on my 71 C20
I found two brown wires one for the alternator and one (they look the same) for the markers (from fuse panel/engine harness in engine compartment). (black wire grounds to sheet metal...tested and working just like the back markers).

I also see the light blue and dark blue wires (as per schematics) but no purple20??? I have tried grounding/running one of the wires on the turn signals to sheet metal and they function as turn signals but no parking lights/running lights? Anyone else run into this?

I can't figure out how to get the turn signals to function as both parking lights and turn signals when the light switch is pulled out partially (or is that just how things were supposed to function? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Roger

Last edited by BlackTopMotors; 05-19-2011 at 10:25 AM.
BlackTopMotors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:11 PM   #2
fixit-p

Re: Where is the Purple Wire for Turn Signals?

There should be no purple on a 71 where a single element bulb is used instead of an 1157 dual element bulb, the brown wire (running lights) serve as a ground for the turn signals and also power for the parking lights. With the head lights on the parking lights will also come on because they will ground through the turn signal circuit but when you hit the turn signal circuit it removes the ground from the park lights and they go off and on as the power is applied and removed by the flasher. With the headlights off the turn signals ground though the headlights. If you want the markers to also flash wire them parallel with the park lights.

If yours doesn't match the above diagram and does use the 1157 bulb the purple wire is brown inside the cab so either way use the brown wire.

Quote:
Originally posted by:Abraham Lincoln "The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is nearly impossible to discern if they are genuine."
fixit-p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:30 PM   #3
cdowns

the purple wires for the front sig lights are the pigtail (pigtail black and purple wires) that is attached to the housing// and the brown wire and blue wires connects to them by a plug in connector
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:33 PM   #4
BlackTopMotors

Thanks for the help. I will take a look and see if I can resolve the issues. Roger
BlackTopMotors is offline   Reply With Quote